theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Recommendations please for home and contents insurance providers

Recommendations please for home and contents insurance providers

Author
Star
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone, I posted this question onto another thread by mistake so I'm going to get it right this time!  I have found out only today that having a restraining order means I cannot be given home and contents insurance cover.  I would be grateful for any advice or experience from other forum members about getting around this problem or any recommendations for insurance providers who are prepared to issue cover.  Acknowledging this will probably cost a few bob more.  Many thanks
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Star - 9 Sep 19 10:40 AM
Hi everyone, I posted this question onto another thread by mistake so I'm going to get it right this time!  I have found out only today that having a restraining order means I cannot be given home and contents insurance cover.  I would be grateful for any advice or experience from other forum members about getting around this problem or any recommendations for insurance providers who are prepared to issue cover.  Acknowledging this will probably cost a few bob more.  Many thanks

Where did you get the idea that you can't get home and contents insurance cover just because you have a restraining order? Maybe your insurer won't offer you cover, but that's not the same as having insurance refused, it just means that they don't have a product that fits your circumstances. A bit like Sheila's Wheels not insuring men all those years ago. Anyway, Unlock has a list of insurers who can help people with unspent convictions here, so take a look. Also, there are some mainstream motor insurers who are only interested in motoring convictions, so if you need motor insurance, try their list here.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Star
Star
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

AB2014 - 10 Sep 19 8:46 AM

Where did you get the idea that you can't get home and contents insurance cover just because you have a restraining order? Maybe your insurer won't offer you cover, but that's not the same as having insurance refused, it just means that they don't have a product that fits your circumstances. A bit like Sheila's Wheels not insuring men all those years ago. Anyway, Unlock has a list of insurers who can help people with unspent convictions here, so take a look. Also, there are some mainstream motor insurers who are only interested in motoring convictions, so if you need motor insurance, try their list here.

Thanks for the reply, I'm quoting something said to my partner.  Granted, he may have got his wires crossed but he's recently spoken to someone for assistance with renewing the buildings insurance cover for his house and was told that having a restraining order was a barrier which meant obtaining insurance would be nigh on impossible.  Thanks also for the link to the insurers list, looking into this today.

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Star - 10 Sep 19 11:21 AM
AB2014 - 10 Sep 19 8:46 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'm quoting something said to my partner.  Granted, he may have got his wires crossed but he's recently spoken to someone for assistance with renewing the buildings insurance cover for his house and was told that having a restraining order was a barrier which meant obtaining insurance would be nigh on impossible.  Thanks also for the link to the insurers list, looking into this today.

Hi I want to add that I've never really had a problem getting insurance although one policy (for a second home) I had was loaded by £60 due to my conviction. If I ever shop around (and I have recently) I get in first before I give them any details whatsoever and ask outright if they are able to offer cover with an unspent conviction for ............ what ever it is you have. I have always got a straight answer either way and that way it keeps your identity out of it (if they cant say without asking the underwriter get the name of the agent and ring them back in a couple of days). I withheld my phone number, wouldn't give a name and all insurers were OK with that as it is after all sensitive information. Works for me. I have car, home and business  insurance.
Aviva, LV and Intasure respectively.
Hightops
Hightops
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)Supreme Being (481 reputation)

Hi
For some reason I am unable to get into the list of insurers (computer doesn't seem to like the link).  Please would anyone be kind enough to type me the list in a reply to this thread?
Many thanks in advance.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Hightops - 26 Jan 20 6:39 PM
Hi
For some reason I am unable to get into the list of insurers (computer doesn't seem to like the link).  Please would anyone be kind enough to type me the list in a reply to this thread?
Many thanks in advance.

The list is three pages long. If you still can't use the link, you could always email Unlock's Helpline and they'll send it to you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hightops - 26 Jan 20 6:39 PM
Hi
Many thanks in advance.

Hi

I used SIS (0161 9696040)  for my car for about 4 years and I know they do house insurance. Being a broker you declare to them and no one else so you can honestly say you have not been rejected.
Michael Boland is an understanding guy.

Good luck

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO