theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

"You need to have a recent enhanced DBS"

"You need to have a recent enhanced DBS"

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Miguel - 19 Sep 19 3:14 PM
I am increasingly seeing job adverts requesting to show or produce a recent enhanced DBS. My question is not about the legitimacy of this request, but whether they can ask for something that the end user cannot legally have.

As long as I know, enhanced DBS's can only be requested by the employer and they then stay with the employer.

How can then an employer ask for an enhanced DBS if: a) one has never been asked one, or b) they have, but it is with the current/former employer?

As you say, you can't apply for your own enhanced DBS check. If you have one, you can apply to join the DBS Update Service within 30 days of receiving it. Obviously, that transfers the cost from them to you. If you have a recent check, that also takes the cost away from them, which is probably what they really want. If you just don't have one, though, then it's up to them to decide whether or not to pay up for the check.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Miguel
Miguel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)Supreme Being (6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am increasingly seeing job adverts requesting to show or produce a recent enhanced DBS. My question is not about the legitimacy of this request, but whether they can ask for something that the end user cannot legally have.

As long as I know, enhanced DBS's can only be requested by the employer and they then stay with the employer.

How can then an employer ask for an enhanced DBS if: a) one has never been asked one, or b) they have, but it is with the current/former employer?

GO