theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Buying a flat - Disclosure to the Freeholder for their building insurance policy - NO protection

Buying a flat - Disclosure to the Freeholder for their building...

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,

As part of my wishing to start a new life I - like many others- wondered about renovating a place and selling it then start again.

I found a flat in a building of 5 flats that met my budget and plans. I put an offer in and received the legal docs - in particule the leasehold agreement from the Freeholder.
Prior to sending it to a solicitor I had a quick read. Imagine my surprise when I found a clause concerning unspent convictions. In brief it stated I had to declare my conviction to the freeholder and for it to be provided to the relevant insurance company.

I got legal advice and spoke to my PPU/Probation Officer with replies suggesting that's life. When I asked how am I assured confidentiality by a freeholder not telling other leaseholders the reasons for an insurance increase, still no answer. 

Obviously I could not risk my attempt at a new life so terminated my offer.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 31 Oct 19 2:40 PM
Hi,

As part of my wishing to start a new life I - like many others- wondered about renovating a place and selling it then start again.

I found a flat in a building of 5 flats that met my budget and plans. I put an offer in and received the legal docs - in particule the leasehold agreement from the Freeholder.
Prior to sending it to a solicitor I had a quick read. Imagine my surprise when I found a clause concerning unspent convictions. In brief it stated I had to declare my conviction to the freeholder and for it to be provided to the relevant insurance company.

I got legal advice and spoke to my PPU/Probation Officer with replies suggesting that's life. When I asked how am I assured confidentiality by a freeholder not telling other leaseholders the reasons for an insurance increase, still no answer. 

Sadly, nobody in an official position will be pro-active about it, as there would be no evidence of an offence being committed until somebody decided to react, so Sloping Shoulders come into effect. AngrySad Also known as Somebody Else's Problem.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

AB2014 - 31 Oct 19 3:13 PM
Hi,

Sadly, nobody in an official position will be pro-active about it, as there would be no evidence of an offence being committed until somebody decided to react, so Sloping Shoulders come into effect. AngrySad Also known as Somebody Else's Problem.

Hi
Agree. Mind you who are we to complain when MP's get such hassle
Have a good weekend.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi,

i'd have asked the solicitor to have the clause removed.... 
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

jcdmcr - 5 Jul 20 8:11 PM
Hi,

i'd have asked the solicitor to have the clause removed.... 

Hi

this reply to my post has just popped up though dated last Oct

Nice idea but a solicitor would fail as it is the building insurance managing the "risk" for the building that asks it. I assume you have car insurance, same thing..

Thanks

GO