theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Hi

Author
Saffer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)Supreme Being (226 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi to everyone who takes the time to read this post.

I have been resident in the UK for 17 years now, originally from South Africa. I am now 52. 
I was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment in 2010 for GBH and served a year and 10 days.
The circumstances were being in an abusive relationship and a very dark place at the time.
Since my release in 2011 I have to fight deportation, been homeless and lived as and amongst refugees from Iran, Iraq and Eritrea (to name a few).
To this day I am still paying. 
I just wanted to get it off my chest because life is so difficult even though I have paid for my crime and always paid my taxes etc.
I am battling to get a job in the care sector because I get judged and am looked at as a "risk". this is my only conviction and I had never been in trouble with the law before.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good Monday and enjoy the rest of your week xx
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Saffer - 11 Nov 19 4:21 PM
Hi to everyone who takes the time to read this post.

I have been resident in the UK for 17 years now, originally from South Africa. I am now 52. 
I was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment in 2010 for GBH and served a year and 10 days.
The circumstances were being in an abusive relationship and a very dark place at the time.
Since my release in 2011 I have to fight deportation, been homeless and lived as and amongst refugees from Iran, Iraq and Eritrea (to name a few).
To this day I am still paying. 
I just wanted to get it off my chest because life is so difficult even though I have paid for my crime and always paid my taxes etc.
I am battling to get a job in the care sector because I get judged and am looked at as a "risk". this is my only conviction and I had never been in trouble with the law before.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good Monday and enjoy the rest of your week xx

Good luck with your struggle, but many care providing companies aren't even interested in what is on your disclosure, never mind the background. Thousands of UK residents will sympathise as they see their career aspirations smothered by needless risk-aversion. As your conviction should be spent by now, many other jobs would be open to you without the need for disclosure, but they wouldn't be in the care sector, unfortunately.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO