theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Unlock's statement on London Bridge attack

Unlock's statement on London Bridge attack

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
sahrenity - 21 Feb 20 1:16 PM
The events in London at the weekend have reopened a debate about sentencing and rehabilitation. Police have to work better with such people. There is always a room for improvement even for our good police services. That's why i believe in independent organizations which goal is to control police. aaappp">aaappp for example. Asociation against abuse of power by police. 

Hi I think there is an error with your link, maybe post again?

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
sahrenity
sahrenity
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The events in London at the weekend have reopened a debate about sentencing and rehabilitation. Police have to work better with such people. There is always a room for improvement even for our good police services. That's why i believe in independent organizations which goal is to control police. aaappp">aaappp for example. Asociation against abuse of power by police. 
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Deb S - 2 Dec 19 3:28 PM
Thought you might want to see Chris Stacey's statement about the terrorist attack at London Bridge

https://www.unlock.org.uk/unlock-statement-on-the-london-bridge-attack/

Debs

Hi Deb,
I am not sure if you have read my article (https://forum.unlock.org.uk/FindPost26723.aspx) on this event? It seems to have been liked/supported by a lot of individuals .
Thanks for the good work and if ever need an extra helper get in touch.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

punter99 - 5 Dec 19 11:32 AM
The events in London at the weekend have reopened a debate about sentencing and rehabilitation, with calls from some, like London Mayor, Sadiq 'throw away the key' Khan, for the reintroduction of the reviled and totally discredited IPP sentences.

It doesn't seem to me that just keeping a person in jail for longer reduces their risk of reoffending. In these cases particularly, the jails act as radicalisation centres, literally providing a captive audience, of vulnerable and impressionable young men, who are easily converted to the cause.

Ironically, religion always used to be considered the great saviour of people in prison, offering hope and a different way of life to those who were thought of as a lost cause. But how do you rehabilitate someone whose religion is the very motivation for their recidivism?

Hi

I understand the point(s) you are mentioning, however with religion and from a broader perspective, people do change their thoughts on faith so we have to hope that someone one day will devise a method of removing this hate from individuals. AND that it is accepted as working by the like of those you mention and so believe in rehabilitation is a truth as we do. 

HOW WE CAN ALL HELP:
Like all offences you have to look at why the individual was able to be induced into accepting those thoughts/actions as normal. Reflecting on certain characters throughout history it will show that when a person is discarded, so isolated and viewed with disdain by society it is obvious they will grip with the strength of 1,000's, the acceptance by someone who offers hope. Those initial kind words reinvigorate the desire we all have: to be wanted. Then the individual can be molded into whatever type of character desired.

"To remove a man's hope will only release the beast in a man."

Not to offend anyone BUT. 
Many offenders - be they a murderer, drug dealer to children for example - will verbally and physically threaten a sex offender, though they do not know or understand the circumstances of the sex offence.  This act of violence and hatred only drives the sex offender deeper into the emotional state I previously mentioned. What does society expect to happen to the sex offender if support is never experienced?

Does the individual who kills a person or deals in drugs and so destroys a person life worth more than the sex offender who paid for consensual sex?

As a teacher once said to me; "just knowing the result does not make you right, you have to understand the formula to know the true answer".

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

The events in London at the weekend have reopened a debate about sentencing and rehabilitation, with calls from some, like London Mayor, Sadiq 'throw away the key' Khan, for the reintroduction of the reviled and totally discredited IPP sentences.

It doesn't seem to me that just keeping a person in jail for longer reduces their risk of reoffending. In these cases particularly, the jails act as radicalisation centres, literally providing a captive audience, of vulnerable and impressionable young men, who are easily converted to the cause.

Ironically, religion always used to be considered the great saviour of people in prison, offering hope and a different way of life to those who were thought of as a lost cause. But how do you rehabilitate someone whose religion is the very motivation for their recidivism?
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Thought you might want to see Chris Stacey's statement about the terrorist attack at London Bridge

Debs

Hi
If possible can all those reading these comments take a moment to think about how 2 individuals; Saskia Jones, 23 and Jack Merritt, 25,  who were so young in life experiences, were able to see past the prejudice, discrimination etc that we endure. Though young, they could visualize with compassion, the environment that has been / is created and used by politicians and the media that unfortunately influences the wider public negatively. 

Also surely it is taking exceptional courage that their parents, family and friends: in a time of great sadness, are able to unselfishly energize themselves to decry the "political point scoring" being done by the politicians and media. Remember they are doing that on our behalf!

There are many words I could say about the terrible impact this act has done, not only to the many victims but also to the endeavors of those supporting ex-offenders but this comment is not the place.

For now I would only like to say that though I am not a religious person in the default perspective, nor do I know much about these two young people, but I do hope that if there is a final and happy resting place for our souls, they are there.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

CC - 2 Dec 19 11:15 PM

Debs

Well ,offender leaves prison lives an offence free life afterwards is not newsworthy is it? True in the majority of cases but not newsworthy. I agree with what Chris says in that this is terrorism and is intended to do exactly what it did do. It detracts greatly from all the work done by rehabilitation and the people they help because the press would far rather report the negatives. In reading about the attack I do not recall reading anywhere about the people who have not re offended. 

I disappointed to see the guy who runs Fishmongers Hall managing to avoid any mention of ex-offenders when giving his account of what happened. In fact, he says passers-by were warned and they chased the terrorist down. Strange, then, that the main guy in the chase was an ex-offender who had been in the hall. On the plus side, the BBC did manage to find someone do discuss the situation and point out that the ex-offender who chased the terrorist down shows that ex-offenders can have a good moral attitude. For some reason, he isn't getting the same amount of coverage.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Debs

Well ,offender leaves prison lives an offence free life afterwards is not newsworthy is it? True in the majority of cases but not newsworthy. I agree with what Chris says in that this is terrorism and is intended to do exactly what it did do. It detracts greatly from all the work done by rehabilitation and the people they help because the press would far rather report the negatives. In reading about the attack I do not recall reading anywhere about the people who have not re offended. 
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO