theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

House insurance - why so difficult

House insurance - why so difficult

Author
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
khafka - 26 Jun 20 2:07 AM
jcdmcr - 26 Jun 20 1:58 AM
Hightops - 25 Jan 20 9:14 PM
Hi, my name is Annie and I am new to the forum

I just wondered if anyone has encountered problems whilst trying to obtain house/contents insurance.  I realised that last year my insurance was actually invalid as my conviction was not spent.  Now I am trying to find insurance and am finding myself being treated like an outcaset for having a criminal record.  The companies who do offer cover then interrogate and want to know every little detail or your conviction.  I think it is appalling and humiliating. I mean what extra risk do they think ex offenders pose?  Are we all budding pyromaniacs / unhinged lunatics?!  I did manage to find one company who were prepared to insure me and then refused because my park home was more than 15 years old.  Jeez, give me a break!  I would be interested to know if anyone has managed to find an insurer who will provide cover for a park home for an ex offender......

I had a similar problem with car insurance, mine was an images offence. My insurance was £400 and went to £2500! I got it down to £2300. I asked the guy to take the offence off to check if it was that causing the increase, and sure enough it went down to around £400. I asked the guy why this was the case, he said that it was down to my offence type, they try to price you out of the market....

That's over a 500% increase! That's insane I really don't understand how hey quantify that or how it is even legal.

To an ever slight degree and I can understand a small increase on home insurance from the pretty ropey premise of "A person convicted of a child-based offence will likely have their home destroyed by angry Facebook mobs the public so they'll be paying more out to that person in insurance. But by that logic its still baffling.

One thing I would be curious about is if it changes depending on the offence too. For example, in your example it was a 525% increase on an images-based offence. If you were a murderer would it be more? Would it be less?

Well funnily enough  I wrote to my MP and he wrote to the head of the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) Andrew Bailey (Who is now head of Bank of England) The reply in part is

"The criteria used by insurance companies to set their premiums are a matter for each firm. The FCA does not intervene in what is a commercial decision. Insurance companies set their criteria in order to assess against risks materialising. Should Mr ****** feel the points being taken into account are not relevant to the assessment of risk he should discuss these directly with the insurer. He may then be able to refer his complaint to the independent Financial Ombudsman Service if he is not able to resolve this directly with the firm. I have enclosed a leaflet from the Financial Ombudsman Service which may be of assistance to Mr ******. " Personal letter extract Andrew Bailey dated October 2016

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

jcdmcr - 26 Jun 20 1:58 AM

I just wondered if anyone has encountered problems whilst trying to obtain house/contents insurance.  I realised that last year my insurance was actually invalid as my conviction was not spent.  Now I am trying to find insurance and am finding myself being treated like an outcaset for having a criminal record.  The companies who do offer cover then interrogate and want to know every little detail or your conviction.  I think it is appalling and humiliating. I mean what extra risk do they think ex offenders pose?  Are we all budding pyromaniacs / unhinged lunatics?!  I did manage to find one company who were prepared to insure me and then refused because my park home was more than 15 years old.  Jeez, give me a break!  I would be interested to know if anyone has managed to find an insurer who will provide cover for a park home for an ex offender......

I had a similar problem with car insurance, mine was an images offence. My insurance was £400 and went to £2500! I got it down to £2300. I asked the guy to take the offence off to check if it was that causing the increase, and sure enough it went down to around £400. I asked the guy why this was the case, he said that it was down to my offence type, they try to price you out of the market....

That's over a 500% increase! That's insane I really don't understand how hey quantify that or how it is even legal.

To an ever slight degree and I can understand a small increase on home insurance from the pretty ropey premise of "A person convicted of a child-based offence will likely have their home destroyed by angry Facebook mobs the public so they'll be paying more out to that person in insurance. But by that logic its still baffling.

One thing I would be curious about is if it changes depending on the offence too. For example, in your example it was a 525% increase on an images-based offence. If you were a murderer would it be more? Would it be less?

J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi

In cases like this I would use a broker - I know SIS on on the list of Unlock. Least then if you are rejected you do not have to tell people insurers have do so.

Good luck

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Hi Annie give Intasure a try on 0345 122 0744.   best of luck...
Hightops
Hightops
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)Supreme Being (483 reputation)

GO