theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Historical Crime

Historical Crime

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Dyke - 24 Feb 20 11:39 PM
I'm having to go to court for historical crimes I commited well over three decades ago.
Will my convictions AFTER the date of that similar crime HAVE to be announced to the court and will these need to be taken into account by the court etc..? 
There was a decade between that historical crime and my first conviction.

The judge will decide whether or not the old conviction should be disclosed in open court. You should ask your barrister about this.

In terms of sentencing, the judge ought to sentence you as if he were doing so at the time of the offences, i.e. with you having no previous convictions, and with the sentences applicable under the laws at the time, not under current laws (if they have changed in relation to your offence), but it's hard to know. Again, this is for your barrister to advise.

Sadly the UK is a global outlier in terms of not having a statute of limitations for criminal offences at Crown Court level.
Edited
4 Years Ago by BenS
Dyke
Dyke
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)Supreme Being (258 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'm having to go to court for historical crimes I commited well over three decades ago.
Will my convictions AFTER the date of that similar crime HAVE to be announced to the court and will these need to be taken into account by the court etc..? 
There was a decade between that historical crime and my first conviction.
GO