theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Sites that repoupose criminal conviction information and GDPR

Sites that repoupose criminal conviction information and GDPR

Author
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I've just submitted a complaint to ICO about the "famous" database. I don't imagine much will come of it.

Out of curiosity, I did do a bit of digging and noticed the domain name does actually expire in about 2 weeks. I might sneakily try and buy it and redirect it.

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

On a serious note You would have a fan club for Life if you did that

It’s about time that website was taken down it does nothing but harm
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Simon1983 - 19 May 20 4:57 PM
On a serious note You would have a fan club for Life if you did thatIt’s about time that website was taken down it does nothing but harm

I'd have to backorder it and snipe it which can be a bit costly. Just looking just now, currently $79/£63.47. It is due to expire on 06/07/2020 in case anyone is interested.

Domain Name: [REDACTED BY ME]
 Registry Domain ID: 2409935104_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
 Registry Expiry Date: 2020-07-06T07:48:26Z
 Registrar: Automattic Inc.
 Registrar IANA ID: 1531

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Where would you even go to purchase the domain
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

Simon1983 - 19 May 20 5:21 PM
Where would you even go to purchase the domain

With someone thing like this you're much better off going through a website to do the leg work for you although you will be paying a little bit more for the domain.

Basically once the domain expires it'll sit in limbo for a bit until the previous owner re-registers it. You'd need to keep submitting orders basically on an hourly basis until it finally became available.

Not that I agree with it, but a company I used to work for would buy expiring names and then sell them on/sell them back to the previous owner for a premium. Ethical? No. Financially sound? God yes.

There are lots of hosts and domain sellers such as GoDaddy that offer the service. It is known as "Back orderdering". We used snapnames.com.

You put in the domain you're looking to snipe, if it's coming up close to its expiration it'll let you order it. You order it and their bots take care of the rest.

Edited
4 Years Ago by khafka
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

Sadly knowing how much that man ( We know who we are talking about) seems to be always one step ahead he already has his next payment sorted.

It would make my day month and year and not to mention life if that web site disappeared into the ether and never to be seen again.

Guess only in my dreams 

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

Simon1983 - 19 May 20 7:47 PM
Sadly knowing how much that man ( We know who we are talking about) seems to be always one step ahead he already has his next payment sorted.

It would make my day month and year and not to mention life if that web site disappeared into the ether and never to be seen again.

Guess only in my dreams 

To be honest I had no idea who ran it until I did a bit of "under the hood" investigating as he blocks WHOIS searches on the domain.

So is this the same bloke who was sent to prison not too long ago for football hooliganism and also thinks just because he sets up hosting in the USA that he is immune from UK law? That isn't really how it works...

Since his initial site got shut down why is this one still going? Is it just because nobody has really bothered reporting it?

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

I don’t know i remember he gave some clap trap explication on his face book page, that was like over 12 mths ago when the GDPR stuff was all in it’s infancy, 
lotsofquer
lotsofquer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)

Given it seems to be hosted by Automattic/Wordpress.com I would imagine he has auto domain renewal on (terms state on by default unless you turn it off).

However the domain registration terms also state (found at https://wordpress.com/automattic-domain-name-registration-agreement/)

18. Right to Suspend or Disable. We shall have the right, at our sole discretion and without liability to you, to suspend or cancel your domain name, or to restrict or suspend your account and/or ability to register domain names, in but not limited to, the following circumstances:
If you use a domain name for unlawful purposes or in furtherance of illegal activities.

When required by law, government rules, court orders, or legal process.

The hosting terms also have similar clauses as below (found at https://wordpress.com/tos/)

6. General Representation and Warranty

You represent and warrant that your use of our Services:

Will comply with all applicable laws and regulations (including, without limitation, all applicable laws regarding online conduct and acceptable content, privacy, data protection,.....

Will not use the Services for any unlawful purposes, to publish illegal content, or in furtherance of illegal activities;

Will not disclose sensitive personal information of others;

There is also the user guidelines which state (found at https://wordpress.com/support/user-guidelines/)

To be transparent about what is and isn’t allowed on your site, we’ve put together this set of guidelines. The following activity/material isn’t allowed on WordPress.com.

Illegal content and conduct.
Self-explanatory.
Posting private information.
Don’t share someone’s personal information without their consent. This includes collecting sensitive information in Contact Forms such as account passwords and credit card numbers, to name a couple.

In all of the above the underlying theme is that the site does not comply with GDPR laws (irrespective of where it is hosted - GDPR applies worldwide if you cater to European citizens (although I’m waiting to see how they regulators enforce based on this) and it also applies if a site is hosted elsewhere but controlled from a European country). Throughout all the terms and guidelines of Automattic/Wordpress.com It is clear you must comply with the law.

Perhaps if someone wanted to contact Automattic and report the site pointing this out it may get suspended. Automattics reporting page is found at https://wordpress.com/support/report-blogs/

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

lotsofquer - 20 May 20 12:01 AM
Given it seems to be hosted by Automattic/Wordpress.com I would imagine he has auto domain renewal on (terms state on by default unless you turn it off).

However the domain registration terms also state (found at https://wordpress.com/automattic-domain-name-registration-agreement/)

18. Right to Suspend or Disable. We shall have the right, at our sole discretion and without liability to you, to suspend or cancel your domain name, or to restrict or suspend your account and/or ability to register domain names, in but not limited to, the following circumstances:
If you use a domain name for unlawful purposes or in furtherance of illegal activities.

When required by law, government rules, court orders, or legal process.

The hosting terms also have similar clauses as below (found at https://wordpress.com/tos/)

6. General Representation and Warranty

You represent and warrant that your use of our Services:

Will comply with all applicable laws and regulations (including, without limitation, all applicable laws regarding online conduct and acceptable content, privacy, data protection,.....

Will not use the Services for any unlawful purposes, to publish illegal content, or in furtherance of illegal activities;

Will not disclose sensitive personal information of others;

There is also the user guidelines which state (found at https://wordpress.com/support/user-guidelines/)

To be transparent about what is and isn’t allowed on your site, we’ve put together this set of guidelines. The following activity/material isn’t allowed on WordPress.com.

Illegal content and conduct.
Self-explanatory.
Posting private information.
Don’t share someone’s personal information without their consent. This includes collecting sensitive information in Contact Forms such as account passwords and credit card numbers, to name a couple.

In all of the above the underlying theme is that the site does not comply with GDPR laws (irrespective of where it is hosted - GDPR applies worldwide if you cater to European citizens (although I’m waiting to see how they regulators enforce based on this) and it also applies if a site is hosted elsewhere but controlled from a European country). Throughout all the terms and guidelines of Automattic/Wordpress.com It is clear you must comply with the law.

Perhaps if someone wanted to contact Automattic and report the site pointing this out it may get suspended. Automattics reporting page is found at https://wordpress.com/support/report-blogs/

Done.

I've played up the personal info angle. As well as not complying with GDPR with cooking notifications and storing of details.

GO