theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Stay at home?

Stay at home?

Author
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Nice idea, I have already thanked him though, twice actually.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
CC - 7 Apr 20 12:22 PM
Yes I did thanks and it was willingly given, in fact they were very supportive.

Hi

Well done.
Some may say I am wrong but I would write to your PPU officer to say thanks for the understanding etc of the officer you spoke to.
Doesn't if you can't remember their details as the DB record will tell them.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Yes I did thanks and it was willingly given, in fact they were very supportive.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Makes a change PPU using common sense, as it’s something they seem to have done off there own back, I take it you had confirmation in writing that you have registered.
CC
CC
Supreme Being

I had some good news yesterday when I called my PPU.
The chap I spoke to was able to complete my annual registration over the telephone. He explained that it was their duty to look after me so, after a short and quite pleasant chat it was all resolved.
I have to say I found it much nicer than having to attend a police station and it was reassuring in such difficult times not to have to put myself at risk.
 Its also good to find someone behaving with some common sense when yesterday  there was a news article about mobile cell towers being set on fire "because they are causing Corona Virus"! 
CC
CC
Supreme Being

Thorswrath - 31 Mar 20 5:03 PM
Just my 2 cents, I would say the excuse of self isolation wont wash with the Police, they would want to know if you actually had Covid 19 and would need to provide some documentation as proof such the NHS website sick note that can be sent to employers.

If you weren't infected then I'd wager they would have you come in and fill out the forms. only a complete nincompoop would let you walk into a police station if they had knowledge of you being infected with Covid-19, otherwise i think it would come under 'absolutely necessary travel'

Can you imagine the headlines in the gutter press 'Sex offenders told don't bother coming in to register' etc etc.'has self isolation gone too far' ? blah blah blah

A percentage of the population have covid-19 and display no symptoms but can infect others so until we have a 100% reliable test its a gamble. The headline could just as easily read " ex offender ignores lock down and infects hero front line police" 
If your out of food and are going to starve thats necessary but to risk yourself and others to fill out a form in my opinion is hardly that. Then hard pressed poorly equipped NHS staff have to look after the ex offender! Cant see the general public liking that one.
I have managed to speak to a criminal law solicitor who advises that " There is provision for this to be either deferred or done remotely " but it is up to the individual force.
I am awaiting a response to the email he suggested I send.
It would be a difficult visit if I have to go, I have a cough, nothing to do with covid its something I get and have to take antibiotics to control. Its not life threatening I just live with it but my doctor says its difficult to distinguish without a test. Ive had it since before C-19 so not concerned. Bet I wouldnt be too popular though.

Edited
4 Years Ago by CC
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

punter99 - 2 Apr 20 10:59 AM
The Probation service have been told it is business as usual for them. All face to face meetings will go ahead as scheduled, despite them having no PPE. Not sure what they will do about social distancing in their waiting areas. The POs trade union, NAPO, is furious abot their members being put in harm's way. Elsewhere the justice system continues to lock people up while the politicians umm and arr about an early release scheme for prisoners.

Again "politics" and individuals ambitions rear their heads.

I remember from my militiary days when I lived off camp. If I was sick I still had to travel to the camp's doctor to confirm my illness.
Also on licence I was in hospital for circa 2 weeks. I asked my Probation Officer and PPU how do I register the address and when would they do a location risk assessment.

We can only smile and admire the way an offender is accussed of a lack of control, common sense or thought for society at times like this.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

The Probation service have been told it is business as usual for them. All face to face meetings will go ahead as scheduled, despite them having no PPE. Not sure what they will do about social distancing in their waiting areas. The POs trade union, NAPO, is furious abot their members being put in harm's way. Elsewhere the justice system continues to lock people up while the politicians umm and arr about an early release scheme for prisoners.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Thorswrath - 31 Mar 20 5:03 PM
Just my 2 cents, I would say the excuse of self isolation wont wash with the Police, they would want to know if you actually had Covid 19 and would need to provide some documentation as proof such the NHS website sick note that can be sent to employers.

If you weren't infected then I'd wager they would have you come in and fill out the forms. only a complete nincompoop would let you walk into a police station if they had knowledge of you being infected with Covid-19, otherwise i think it would come under 'absolutely necessary travel'

Can you imagine the headlines in the gutter press 'Sex offenders told don't bother coming in to register' etc etc.'has self isolation gone too far' ? blah blah blah

Hi
I agree but I would check first as a show of concern regarding Gov guidelines - shows consideration to others - and if no response then I would travel and have proof you enquired if anyone gives you hassel.

Edited
4 Years Ago by JASB
Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Monkos - 31 Mar 20 4:44 AM
JASB - 30 Mar 20 5:27 PM
khafka - 28 Mar 20 1:38 AM
I'd ask your PPU for a recommendation. Where possible get the to confirm in an email or at the very least an SMS. If it isn't in writing, it didn't happen as my solicitor says.

My community order has been suspended indefinitely, as have my social work appointments. My social worker did phone today to do a bit of a check in with how I'm getting on etc.

I did inquire as to the PPU visits given the current circumstances. As it turns out, my PPU will still be doing his visits as long as I don't have any symptoms of the plague. But what if he has the plague and isn't showing symptoms and is merely a carrier?

I never posed my final bit there but something to think about.

Hi
Re PPU visits I think the visit decision is relevant to the risk they view you as. I am low and have it in writing no visits until its all over.
As far as signing on that is a question a few of us have been thinking. Look forward to others replies.

Use your common sense, of course you are allowed out to attend a compulsory police station appointment. If in doubt, call them first.

Hi
Common sense has nothing to do with anything when it comes to the law.
My reply was nothing to do with whether you are allowed out and on what grounds.
If you read my words I said it was considering what the local policy was for the area. If you read the headlines today for example, you will see each force enforcing rules differently hence issues.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

Monkos - 31 Mar 20 4:44 AM
I'd ask your PPU for a recommendation. Where possible get the to confirm in an email or at the very least an SMS. If it isn't in writing, it didn't happen as my solicitor says.

My community order has been suspended indefinitely, as have my social work appointments. My social worker did phone today to do a bit of a check in with how I'm getting on etc.

I did inquire as to the PPU visits given the current circumstances. As it turns out, my PPU will still be doing his visits as long as I don't have any symptoms of the plague. But what if he has the plague and isn't showing symptoms and is merely a carrier?

Hi
Re PPU visits I think the visit decision is relevant to the risk they view you as. I am low and have it in writing no visits until its all over.
As far as signing on that is a question a few of us have been thinking. Look forward to others replies.

Use your common sense, of course you are allowed out to attend a compulsory police station appointment. If in doubt, call them first.

My common sense tells me to not put my life at risk to copy the same form as last year.
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Hi

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Hi

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

I was thinking the same thing the other day, will be interesting to hear what your PPU decide, as we all know you can only sign the register at certain identified police stations (Prescribed premises).

looking at both the SOA and information from the collage of policing there are no guidelines as to what to do if an offender can’t get to the police station, the only thing it mentions and talks about is

Mobility impairments

Registered offenders with mobility impairments have no legal exemption from notification requirements. The offender should produce evidence of a medically diagnosed condition to support any request for assistance with notification requirements.

so as with most things concerning the SOA and the SOR and SOPO/ SHPO it is left open to interpretation by the PPU. As there is no mention in the new emergency powers act.

witha large number of non uniformed officers being redeployed to front line duties it will be interesting to see how many staff have been left in the units to manage offenders.

CC
CC
Supreme Being

I have to attend to my annual registration soon which normally means a visit to a police station. I am hoping this will be deferred until restrictions are eased but dont know what arrangements have yet been made? Anyone out there have any news?
GO