theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Finding work whilst on the SO Register and with a SHPO

Finding work whilst on the SO Register and with a SHPO

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JamesZ - 15 Dec 20 10:21 PM
Thanks folks.
Yeah I know Upwork do a Skype interview.
Not sure about that? Don't know if I'm allowed.

Can check the others.
Online work seems to be the way though.
Thanks.

Upwork speak to you for verification of your name/address etc just so they know you're real, it's not an interview and it took about 2 mins when I did it, you'll be fine. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on because others could benefit from your experience too.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

Last week I was turned away by a group who help people with convictions get back into work. Why? Because I have a SHPO.
They did however point me towards another group.
I got in touch with that group and they turned me down because I've registered as self employed and have 'had some work' recently. Even though, especially thanks to the pandemic, it's far from a livable/long term wage and was all the advice I was given - even by probation - repeatedly to 'go self employed'.
So, I've now outed myself twice and I'm no further forward.
This is unacceptable.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

So I've been wondering about self employment in a service based job. I have an S.O for images.

I wondered about things like:

Gardening.
Renting out various in demand equipment - Tools, etc 
Litter clearance.
Coffee selling in nice street areas.
Scrap metal (Don't drive - but have a large pull along wagon)
Growing plants/veg to sell.
Fixing things.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, realize there are various factors/costs etc and not sure if they are viable?

If anyone has any info on these or any better ideas for self employment/service based jobs I'd love to know. 

Thanks

James
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

JamesZ - 20 Aug 22 7:12 PM
So I've been wondering about self employment in a service based job. I have an S.O for images.

I wondered about things like:

Gardening.
Renting out various in demand equipment - Tools, etc 
Litter clearance.
Coffee selling in nice street areas.
Scrap metal (Don't drive - but have a large pull along wagon)
Growing plants/veg to sell.
Fixing things.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, realize there are various factors/costs etc and not sure if they are viable?

If anyone has any info on these or any better ideas for self employment/service based jobs I'd love to know. 

Thanks

James

Sounds like you want to work outside, rather than online, and that you are good with your hands. But lack of transport is a big issue.

Maybe produce around 100 leaflets, advertising yourself as an odd-job man, fixing broken fences, painting, cleaning gutters, window cleaning, general maintenance, tidying up rubbish, trimming hedges etc. Anything that you can do with a minimum of tools and no heavy machinery. 

Distribute the leaflets in your local area and see if you get any response. Top tip; elderly residents are always in need of help with jobs like this.  
GO