theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Khafka's post - Criminal record reform to support ex-offenders into work

Khafka's post - Criminal record reform to support ex-offenders into...

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 13 Oct 20 1:14 PM
east72 - 12 Oct 20 8:36 PM
This bought a glimmer of hope for about 5 seconds as I have always had one bit in my life, which if I had one thing it would be able to get a spent conviction. I have prayed for the system to change and allow all the time spent on courses and hours in probation offices to actually mean something and be able to live life again. From my understanding and my Oyasys report and PPu that my Risk is low, I was a D cat a year before I left prison, working in the local community cutting grass and looking after hedges etc and once a month I had 5 days back home with my wife.. My offence matched another persons on the same rolling Sotp course almost exact he pleaded guilty at the 1st court hearing and got 4 years with a 5 year sopo so he will get his spent. I plead guilty to one count and not guilty to rest but found guilty and got 6 years with no sopo so mine is stuck for life. So same offence but one is classed as serious and one is not ....... It seems very unfair that the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off considering it’s my only and last offence I’m classed as low risk but I’m not allowed to work. The story in the paper a few years ago I remember a drunk driver hitting a car and killing 3 people he was sentenced to 6 years for death by drunk driving. but as no sexual, violent or terrorism he will get a chance to get spent and live again I know he will never be able to get out of his head what happened but he will be able to get a job and pay his way in life. Trouble with SO is we don’t like to put our heads above the parapet for fear of being knocked down. If the government had picked drug dealers not to get spent but all other offences ok the drug dealers would soon be outside parliament shouting discrimination. The hardest part of this mistake in my life is the trying to move on my offence was 14 years ago, my sentence finished. 7 years ago but my mental health is getting worse all the time just from having to worry about so many things. Sorry if I ran on but I just feel that this country is so unfair they want rehabilitation and spend millions on helping with courses and probation services only to throw it away with never letting us get on toProve we are not to dangerous to work.

Hi

Do not apologize for venting your concerns and injustices. I do it more than most lol.

Your history proved your character has been rejuvenated since your conviction, you got D cat, something not everyone managed.

It is hard but try to see your past not as a burden, but as the "fuel" to drive your "engine of determination"  to live a life that is offence free, concentrating on your quality of life and future.
Remember no one is totally free from conditions as there are many more individuals in this world with physical restrictions that we can still do more than for instance. Try to just think of the "imposed" restrictions/conditions in the same manner as not being able to do a world cruise because of the financial cost. You do not ignore that dream you just go somewhere that you can afford.

Focus on the benefits your life brings to you even if they are only small. Accept your limitations but push there barriers to the limits. The success this brings will ease your mental stress and self belief.

In the Executive Summary, it says "We now propose to legislate to extend this approach to other specified serious violent and sexual offenders who receive sentences of between 4 and 7 years", but the use of the word "serious" is just their way of pandering to the tabloids, as it is used 119 times in the document. They even talk about "more serious murders", which makes it clear that they think some murders are less serious. Aren't these the same people who keep emphasising their commitment to victim support?

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
east72 - 12 Oct 20 8:36 PM
This bought a glimmer of hope for about 5 seconds as I have always had one bit in my life, which if I had one thing it would be able to get a spent conviction. I have prayed for the system to change and allow all the time spent on courses and hours in probation offices to actually mean something and be able to live life again. From my understanding and my Oyasys report and PPu that my Risk is low, I was a D cat a year before I left prison, working in the local community cutting grass and looking after hedges etc and once a month I had 5 days back home with my wife.. My offence matched another persons on the same rolling Sotp course almost exact he pleaded guilty at the 1st court hearing and got 4 years with a 5 year sopo so he will get his spent. I plead guilty to one count and not guilty to rest but found guilty and got 6 years with no sopo so mine is stuck for life. So same offence but one is classed as serious and one is not ....... It seems very unfair that the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off considering it’s my only and last offence I’m classed as low risk but I’m not allowed to work. The story in the paper a few years ago I remember a drunk driver hitting a car and killing 3 people he was sentenced to 6 years for death by drunk driving. but as no sexual, violent or terrorism he will get a chance to get spent and live again I know he will never be able to get out of his head what happened but he will be able to get a job and pay his way in life. Trouble with SO is we don’t like to put our heads above the parapet for fear of being knocked down. If the government had picked drug dealers not to get spent but all other offences ok the drug dealers would soon be outside parliament shouting discrimination. The hardest part of this mistake in my life is the trying to move on my offence was 14 years ago, my sentence finished. 7 years ago but my mental health is getting worse all the time just from having to worry about so many things. Sorry if I ran on but I just feel that this country is so unfair they want rehabilitation and spend millions on helping with courses and probation services only to throw it away with never letting us get on toProve we are not to dangerous to work.

Hi

Do not apologize for venting your concerns and injustices. I do it more than most lol.

Your history proved your character has been rejuvenated since your conviction, you got D cat, something not everyone managed.

It is hard but try to see your past not as a burden, but as the "fuel" to drive your "engine of determination"  to live a life that is offence free, concentrating on your quality of life and future.
Remember no one is totally free from conditions as there are many more individuals in this world with physical restrictions that we can still do more than for instance. Try to just think of the "imposed" restrictions/conditions in the same manner as not being able to do a world cruise because of the financial cost. You do not ignore that dream you just go somewhere that you can afford.

Focus on the benefits your life brings to you even if they are only small. Accept your limitations but push there barriers to the limits. The success this brings will ease your mental stress and self belief.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Zack - 12 Oct 20 2:49 PM
AB2014 - 12 Oct 20 12:29 PM
Khafka originally posted:

Noticed this is gaining traction now. Wondering everyone's thoughts? Looks like sex offences are being ignored, as per usual but good for everyone else!
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/criminal-record-reform-to-support-ex-offenders-into-work

The reply button is missing, somehow, so I thought I'd start a new thread in the hope that this thread will allow replies. It still didn't work in that sub-forum, so I'm trying here instead. 

I would just note that the * concerning serious sexual offences is next to the "custody of 4 years or more" category.
Suggesting seriousness is determined by a sentence of more than 4 years. However, unless things change most are also sentenced to a SHPO which means the conviction cannot be spent until that has come to an end. I believe SHPOs are only ever given for a minimum of 5 years

Hi Zack,

My sentence was 4 years but according to my experience and because it was a SO then it is classed as serious.

When I first raised the BBC report on this I had hope, then reading the government report that faded but I will not let it go out 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
east72
east72
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

This bought a glimmer of hope for about 5 seconds as I have always had one bit in my life, which if I had one thing it would be able to get a spent conviction. I have prayed for the system to change and allow all the time spent on courses and hours in probation offices to actually mean something and be able to live life again.

From my understanding and my Oyasys report and PPu that my Risk is low, I was a D cat a year before I left prison, working in the local community cutting grass and looking after hedges etc and once a month I had 5 days back home with my wife..

My offence matched another persons on the same rolling Sotp course almost exact he pleaded guilty at the 1st court hearing and got 4 years with a 5 year sopo so he will get his spent. I plead guilty to one count and not guilty to rest but found guilty and got 6 years with no sopo so mine is stuck for life. So same offence but one is classed as serious and one is not .......

It seems very unfair that the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off considering it’s my only and last offence I’m classed as low risk but I’m not allowed to work. The story in the paper a few years ago I remember a drunk driver hitting a car and killing 3 people he was sentenced to 6 years for death by drunk driving. but as no sexual, violent or terrorism he will get a chance to get spent and live again I know he will never be able to get out of his head what happened but he will be able to get a job and pay his way in life.

Trouble with SO is we don’t like to put our heads above the parapet for fear of being knocked down. If the government had picked drug dealers not to get spent but all other offences ok the drug dealers would soon be outside parliament shouting discrimination.

The hardest part of this mistake in my life is the trying to move on my offence was 14 years ago, my sentence finished. 7 years ago but my mental health is getting worse all the time just from having to worry about so many things.

Sorry if I ran on but I just feel that this country is so unfair they want rehabilitation and spend millions on helping with courses and probation services only to throw it away with never letting us get on to
Prove we are not to dangerous to work.

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Zack - 12 Oct 20 2:49 PM

I would just note that the * concerning serious sexual offences is next to the "custody of 4 years or more" category.
Suggesting seriousness is determined by a sentence of more than 4 years. However, unless things change most are also sentenced to a SHPO which means the conviction cannot be spent until that has come to an end. I believe SHPOs are only ever given for a minimum of 5 years

Police caution can mean a 2 year SOR, but yes 5 years is a court case minimum.
Zack
Zack
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)

Noticed this is gaining traction now. Wondering everyone's thoughts? Looks like sex offences are being ignored, as per usual but good for everyone else!
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/criminal-record-reform-to-support-ex-offenders-into-work

The reply button is missing, somehow, so I thought I'd start a new thread in the hope that this thread will allow replies. It still didn't work in that sub-forum, so I'm trying here instead. 

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Well, that seems to have worked. Smile You can get the actual document here if you want. As you say, it looks like convictions for sexual offences will be excluded, and that is a large chunk of the people with sentences in that range. That issue of exclusion of offences was discussed when the original ROA was passed, and they decided not to do it, as the seriousness of the offence is reflected in the sentence. Still, it's only a consultation/discussion document at the moment, so there's still time to try and influence the final policy, which must be at least two years away, and maybe more.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

GO