theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Different rules for the police?

Different rules for the police?

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 3 Dec 20 1:11 PM
Was - 3 Dec 20 10:12 AM
Whilst I don't want to make excuses here, it would be highly unlikely for anyone to prosecuted in the normal way for this offence. The current rules are that thefts under £200, for which there is a guilty plea, are not referred to the CPS, are dealt with by post, and do not require an appearance in a magistrates court.

Under the circumstances described, dismissal from the force was always going to happen and, I'd suggest, a bigger punishment than the "Guilty Plea by Post" procedure would have produced.

Hi

If I remember correctly any Police Officer found guilty of an offence and dismissed also loses they Police pension; which is quite good.
Another unwritten punishment example.

It all leads back to the other law in question - The Law of Unintended Consequences.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Whilst I don't want to make excuses here, it would be highly unlikely for anyone to prosecuted in the normal way for this offence. The current rules are that thefts under £200, for which there is a guilty plea, are not referred to the CPS, are dealt with by post, and do not require an appearance in a magistrates court.

Under the circumstances described, dismissal from the force was always going to happen and, I'd suggest, a bigger punishment than the "Guilty Plea by Post" procedure would have produced.

Hi

If I remember correctly any Police Officer found guilty of an offence and dismissed also loses they Police pension; which is quite good.
Another unwritten punishment example.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

I would expect anyone in those circumstances to be given a Community Resolution Order and made to pay the difference. In the circumstances, instant dismissal for gross misconduct is probably the most serious punishment available. Oh, and the Google effect, as many others have found out to their cost.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Miguel
Miguel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)Supreme Being (6.1K reputation)

He should have been charged with theft and/or fraud, but, playing the devil's advocate, the Police would probably say that it wasn't interest to prosecute somebody for stealing something that cost only £10. Of course, it would have been in the public interest if any of us plebs had done it.

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

The case of the policeman who went into a supermarket in Wisbech, weighed a carrot to get a barcode price label for 7p, stuck it into a large box of crispy cremes costing in excess of £10 and scanned/paid 7p.

OK, he was found guilty of gross misconduct and sacked.

If anyone of us or a member of the public had done the same thing, we would be charged with theft.

Why not the policeman????
GO