theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Anyone applied to work for probation?

Anyone applied to work for probation?

Author
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I applied for a prison warden/corrections officer last year before COVID destroyed the world.

Everything looked good until I declared my conviction and it was hard pass from them. They didn't even seem remotely interested in seeing the improvements and things I'd done since my conviction.

It deflated me a little bit at the time, I mean, if the justice system itself is stating that they won't employ someone because of conviction then to me that basically says they don't believe people can be rehabilitated and thus means what is the point?

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

When I applied, they said each case would be assessed on it's own merits, so having a conviction for a sexual offence is not an automatic refusal.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

I saw an administrator vacancy with the probation service.

Would they even consider an application from a individual who has committed a sexual offence?

I note it says on the civil service job advert “pass a DBS check”.

My offence isn’t spent yet so even on a basic check it’s going to show.

Does the word “pass” mean it needs to be clear? Or just within their standards?
GO