theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

hi

Author
jimmy456
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)Supreme Being (567 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Hi, new to the forum, I have been waiting for the tech issues to subside so I can post.

My question is: how likely is it I will be able to find work as a new secondary school teacher with an ABH conviction?

Background:

I am 33 this year, I have one conviction for ABH from when I was 18. I was very drunk on a night out and somebody kissed my equally drunk girlfriend who was elsewhere in the club, she told me she had protested, I saw him laughing, I saw red and I threw a glass bottle at him. It hit him on the back of the head and he needed stitches. I ended up in court, pled guilty, and received a small fine (no other penalty). The fact that he needed stiches increased it from Assault to ABH. Me and the man in question eventually met up, I apologised, he apologised too and we made amends. I have regretted what I did ever since. 
I wanted to be a teacher all the way back then but thought my conviction would be a closed door so I didn't pursue it. I have never been in trouble before or since. I am currently applying to do an Open University degree, and my plan is to follow that with a PGCE. I have been putting it off for almost 15 years because of what I did basically, but I am older now, tired doing jobs I don't enjoy and I feel that it is now or never. 

But I want to know if I am wasting my time. Will I have a degree I can't use if I go ahead? Will they even let me do a PGCE if they think I won't find employment? (I do plan on emailing them to ask but wanted to talk to people here first) I have read a lot online and always see the advice "in the teaching interview be open and honest and explain your conviction." However most of the scenarios I read are not convictions as severe as mine. I am hoping the fact that it was a sole conviction, that I was young, that I am a very different person now, and that a large amount of time has passed will be in my favour. However I would love some advice before I invest time and money into the degree.
Thanks 

**Sorry about the messy way this is posted. Trying to work around the tech issues. If you post a one word topic/first message, you can go back and edit it and put more text in. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by jimmy456
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I've tried to reply a few times. Let's see if this one works! 

In principle all cases are handled on their merit. A rough rule seems to be if you are allowed study for your certificate, then you are in with a shout subject to certain criteria. The main one seems to be that any sort of prison sentence, including suspended, would be a difficult hurdle to overcome.

However, I could only find the Scottish rules online. England, Wales and NI are probably out there somewhere.

Criminal convictions | General Teaching Council for Scotland (gtcs.org.uk)

Edited
3 Years Ago by Was
GO