theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Not sure what to do or to know if conviction will show up or not?

Not sure what to do or to know if conviction will show up or not?

Author
dave_uk
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)Supreme Being (3.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
about 12 years ago i got a conviction for common assault, i have literally put my life on hold and not applied for any new job since due to worrying that it would show up on a dbs and having to explain it, i have read after 11 years it may get wiped, i was wondering how i can go about finding out if it has been wiped or would it depend on the job? i would like a job in the nhs but i am not sure if it would be cleared on a standard or enhanced check?

From what i have read it states that after 11 years, single conviction that didn't go to prison for common assault can be filtered. it then says if it was violent it will not be filtered.

My conviction was for hitting someone, it was literally a push that resulted in them hurting themselves.

Am i to assume this wouldn't be filtered because there is an aspect of violence to it?

Regards

Dave

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
dave_uk - 4 Jan 22 1:00 PM
about 12 years ago i got a conviction for common assault, i have literally put my life on hold and not applied for any new job since due to worrying that it would show up on a dbs and having to explain it, i have read after 11 years it may get wiped, i was wondering how i can go about finding out if it has been wiped or would it depend on the job? i would like a job in the nhs but i am not sure if it would be cleared on a standard or enhanced check?

From what i have read it states that after 11 years, single conviction that didn't go to prison for common assault can be filtered. it then says if it was violent it will not be filtered.

My conviction was for hitting someone, it was literally a push that resulted in them hurting themselves.

Am i to assume this wouldn't be filtered because there is an aspect of violence to it?

Regards

Dave

Common assault is an offence that can be filtered. If you were 18 or over at the time, and you didn't get prison or a suspended sentence, then it would be filtered after 11 years. The only way to find out for sure is to apply for a job and get the check done. Don't disclose your conviction, though, as it should be filtered by now so the employer has no legal right to that information. You can't apply for your own enhanced or standard DBS check, as the application has to be countersigned by a registered countersignatory.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO