theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Suspended Sentence

Suspended Sentence

Author
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Pippa - 18 May 22 3:31 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I’ll try and stick to applying for jobs that require basic searches. I’m still ashamed so would hate for people to know.

Everyone makes mistakes, the issue most people lack is the understanding that mistakes can be learned from to stop the same mistakes happening again. Especially when it comes to first time offenders.

Edited
2 Years Ago by xDanx
Pippa
Pippa
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll try and stick to applying for jobs that require basic searches. I’m still ashamed so would hate for people to know.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Pippa - 18 May 22 12:44 PM
Hope someone can help…

40 years ago in my late teens l had a drug addiction and committed fraud from my employer (£1000) l was given a 24 month suspended sentence.

My first and last criminal offence, followed me around like a dark cloud my whole life. I’m still ashamed. I’ve worked all my adult life apart from raising my kids. At 60 years of age l need to go to work before l go mad but every job l see requires checks… am l right in thinking that my conviction will show up despite the fact it was 40 years ago??

Thanks in advance…

Well, yes and no. As you were given a suspended sentence, the conviction will always be shown on standard or enhanced DBS checks. The good news, though, is that your conviction is spent, so it will not be shown on a basic DBS check. That covers most jobs, as a basic DBS check is for any job that isn't eligible for a standard or enhanced DBS check. This doesn't mean that you can't apply for jobs that are eligible for a standard or enhanced DBS check, it just means that you would have to disclose the conviction if you do apply, and there are some employers, unfortunately, who don't understand the disclosure system, or just don't care, and have a "clean DBS" policy, even though a spent conviction won't affect their insurance, and a conviction from 40 years ago shouldn't be used to judge someone. You can't really find out which employers are bad in that respect until you disclose, but if you stick to jobs that have only a basic DBS check, you won't have to disclose anything.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Pippa
Pippa
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)Supreme Being (285 reputation)

Hope someone can help…

40 years ago in my late teens l had a drug addiction and committed fraud from my employer (£1000) l was given a 24 month suspended sentence.

My first and last criminal offence, followed me around like a dark cloud my whole life. I’m still ashamed. I’ve worked all my adult life apart from raising my kids. At 60 years of age l need to go to work before l go mad but every job l see requires checks… am l right in thinking that my conviction will show up despite the fact it was 40 years ago??

Thanks in advance…
GO