theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Monitoring Software

Monitoring Software

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
punter99 - 18 Jan 23 10:54 AM
khafka - 17 Jan 23 12:01 PM
Was - 17 Jan 23 10:30 AM
Richie - 16 Jan 23 10:55 PM
Richie - 16 Jun 22 9:34 PM
As part of my SHPO the police are entitled to install monitoring software on my devices. 

After a long time of having no monitoring software they have now installed monitoring software on my devices and I have to say I am unhappy about the software on my Android Tablet.

It appears that screen cast is constantly running on my tablet and it looks like everything that I do is being monitored not just my internet history. So any family picture I look at, family video, online video, book, online banking, any email I read or write etc is all being monitored.

My assumption was that they were only allowed to record my internet history. My offence is internet based and my SHPO only states I must register the device and not delete internet history or use incognito mode.  

I can't really see what they have installed on my laptop and what it is doing but I dread to think

Does anyone have any experience of this and has anyone challenged the police when they install software on their devices?

I had my first visit since the software was installed on my laptop.

There was only one report that the software made to the police. At some point I had changed the background picture of my computer to include a picture of the my children on a family day out.

The picture was totally innocent but this was picked up by the software. When I asked what the software was looking for I was told anything illegal, but obviously this picture was not illegal and I have contact approved with my children by Social Services. 

Is it in my rights to ask what the software is actually monitoring? The SHPO just says risk management software can be installed which is very wide ranging and it does not define what it can look for. The restrictions on my SHPO is just that I cannot delete internet history, use incognito browsing etc

So it looks like the risk management software is looking at more than just internet history. Whilst this is probably allowed under the banner of 'risk management software' I am not sure it is in the spirit of the SHPO. 

I am seriously considering talking to a solicitor about this. I did get the feedback that no one else had any problems with the software and I was only the person questioning it (not sure I believed that!)

I did query it robustly on their first visit so I think I went on their naughty list for a while for being "obstructive". However, they did pass me on the phone to a techie so I could ask a few questions.

Assuming it's Guardware eSafe, the software does a few things which I discovered inadvertently whilst trying to clear space on a full hard drive.

This may not be all the functions, because I stopped when I ended up in the folders as I didn't want to be accused of trying to tamper with it, which I wasn't.

It has a keylogger. I think, however, it only monitors browser based keystrokes, but I could be wrong on that. There is also a "snapshot" feature which monitors suspicious files, saves then to a hidden directory and uploads either the file or a "fingerprint" to the police's Guardware server. It seemed to have saved some You Tube videos and a smattering of photos on mine. The server produces a prioritised "risk" list. Not sure if all forces do this but I had to change all my device names to ones that clearly were constructed so that they could do a search of the list to zero in on an individual without them having to keep an exhaustive list of computer names mapped to an offender.

There is also this:

Digital intelligence software aids sex offender monitoring (corrections1.com)

I haven't had any monitoring software installed so this might be a silly question but you mentioned "...and uploads either the file or a fingerprint..."

Maybe it's just me being difficult for the sake of it but say you have a limited internet package, who is paying for the data use in uploading it? Similarly mobile data if it's installed on a mobile.

I know the answer, obviously, but still seems a bit cheeky.

Typically the screengrab file will be between 50kb and 350kb. Tiny. 
Think yourself lucky that you do not live in the USA. The SO there, are required to take regular polygraph tests and have to pay for them too, at around $150 each time.

hi,
We copy most things off the yanks so time will tell Sad

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Richie
Richie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
As part of my SHPO the police are entitled to install monitoring software on my devices. 

After a long time of having no monitoring software they have now installed monitoring software on my devices and I have to say I am unhappy about the software on my Android Tablet.

It appears that screen cast is constantly running on my tablet and it looks like everything that I do is being monitored not just my internet history. So any family picture I look at, family video, online video, book, online banking, any email I read or write etc is all being monitored.

My assumption was that they were only allowed to record my internet history. My offence is internet based and my SHPO only states I must register the device and not delete internet history or use incognito mode.  

I can't really see what they have installed on my laptop and what it is doing but I dread to think

Does anyone have any experience of this and has anyone challenged the police when they install software on their devices?

There was only one report that the software made to the police. At some point I had changed the background picture of my computer to include a picture of the my children on a family day out.

The picture was totally innocent but this was picked up by the software. When I asked what the software was looking for I was told anything illegal, but obviously this picture was not illegal and I have contact approved with my children by Social Services. 

Is it in my rights to ask what the software is actually monitoring? The SHPO just says risk management software can be installed which is very wide ranging and it does not define what it can look for. The restrictions on my SHPO is just that I cannot delete internet history, use incognito browsing etc

So it looks like the risk management software is looking at more than just internet history. Whilst this is probably allowed under the banner of 'risk management software' I am not sure it is in the spirit of the SHPO. 

I am seriously considering talking to a solicitor about this. I did get the feedback that no one else had any problems with the software and I was only the person questioning it (not sure I believed that!)

So my phone had the monitoring software installed on it at my last visit and I realise what a pile of rubbish it is.

Every now and again the software just randomly stops. So I have to restart it which is certainly something I don't believe I should be doing. To me it should just work and I shouldn't have to monitor the software to make sure it is working. 

Also when the phone starts I have to manually confirm that the software can record my screen. Again I don't believe I should be doing this.

I had these same issues on my tablet and successfully argued for the software to be removed but they don't seem so willing to do this on my phone. It maybe because my offence was made on a phone and they see it as greater risk me having one.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)

Richie - 24 Jan 23 12:09 AM

So my phone had the monitoring software installed on it at my last visit and I realise what a pile of rubbish it is.

Every now and again the software just randomly stops. So I have to restart it which is certainly something I don't believe I should be doing. To me it should just work and I shouldn't have to monitor the software to make sure it is working. 

Also when the phone starts I have to manually confirm that the software can record my screen. Again I don't believe I should be doing this.

I had these same issues on my tablet and successfully argued for the software to be removed but they don't seem so willing to do this on my phone. It maybe because my offence was made on a phone and they see it as greater risk me having one.

It's still worth pressing them on it, as if the software isn't working properly, they need to be passing that back to the provider to get it fixed. Who knows what else might be going wrong that you can't see...?

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Richie
Richie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)Supreme Being (2.9K reputation)

AB2014 - 26 Jan 23 10:15 AM

It's still worth pressing them on it, as if the software isn't working properly, they need to be passing that back to the provider to get it fixed. Who knows what else might be going wrong that you can't see...?

I am at the point that I am going to get a solicitor involved for advice. I have nothing against the software being installed as I have nothing to hide but I don't think it is unreasonable for the software to work without me intervening.

Sometimes when the software fails it restarts automatically and a big eSafe logo is shown prompting me to start recording the screen. This has happened a couple of times in public and I am worried that someone will see it. It could lead to an awkward conversation if someone asks what it is.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Richie - 30 Jan 23 10:16 PM
AB2014 - 26 Jan 23 10:15 AM

I am at the point that I am going to get a solicitor involved for advice. I have nothing against the software being installed as I have nothing to hide but I don't think it is unreasonable for the software to work without me intervening.

Sometimes when the software fails it restarts automatically and a big eSafe logo is shown prompting me to start recording the screen. This has happened a couple of times in public and I am worried that someone will see it. It could lead to an awkward conversation if someone asks what it is.

As others have mentioned this should be raised as an issue as it makes you vulunable. I would consider documenting it and passing the actual evidence and a question is it and for how long do they feel it is nessary given the issues, onto to your PPU to see how they reply; not mentioning solicitors.

If ignored or a loose reply received then i would seek legal advice.

Good luck.

Depending 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mo22
Mo22
Supreme Being

How would one know if it’s compulsory on a shpo? I have it on my laptop. At first when I posted here I wasn’t having any issues but now my god even the officer who attended with ppu officer said is just me or this computer slow. It’s really messed up my laptop. Things freeze a lot. My shpo says monitoring software may be installed. To be honest I don’t use it much so I’m not really bothered however I was thinking about getting a new contract phone next year when I get better credit rating, but they can install it on android phones and android phones have a wider range of phone selections but I’m not going to pay 800+ for a phone that’s going to perform like crap because of the software so I will stick to a new iPhone eventually as they can’t install it on iPhones. I understand it’s purpose but for someone who maybe works from their laptop I can’t imagine the pain they going through trying to work.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Mo22 - 1 Sep 23 10:55 AM
How would one know if it’s compulsory on a shpo? I have it on my laptop. At first when I posted here I wasn’t having any issues but now my god even the officer who attended with ppu officer said is just me or this computer slow. It’s really messed up my laptop. Things freeze a lot. My shpo says monitoring software may be installed. To be honest I don’t use it much so I’m not really bothered however I was thinking about getting a new contract phone next year when I get better credit rating, but they can install it on android phones and android phones have a wider range of phone selections but I’m not going to pay 800+ for a phone that’s going to perform like crap because of the software so I will stick to a new iPhone eventually as they can’t install it on iPhones. I understand it’s purpose but for someone who maybe works from their laptop I can’t imagine the pain they going through trying to work.

It really all comes down to how your SHPO is worded, usually if it is even mentioned then they enforce it saying it "must" be installed. You can request it to be removed by your PPU since it can be shown how slow it is, or look into applying to have your SHPO amended to remove monitoring software from the order if your PPU is not supportive of this.

Could you type here what the order says word for word about monitoring software?

Mo22
Mo22
Supreme Being

Hi the two references to the software is

Makes device available upon request to a ppu officer in order A) the internet history be examined B) risk management maybe installed. This prohibition shall not apply to a computer as he work place, job centre plus, public Library, educational establishment or other such place, provided that in relation to his work place of work, within 3 days of him commencing use of such a computer, he notifies the ppu unit of this use.

Second reference is under deleting internet user history

Deleting or interfering with any risk assessment software if it is installed upon any internet enabled device

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Mo22 - 2 Sep 23 4:57 AM
Hi the two references to the software is Makes device available upon request to a ppu officer in order A) the internet history be examined B) risk management maybe installed. This prohibition shall not apply to a computer as he work place, job centre plus, public Library, educational establishment or other such place, provided that in relation to his work place of work, within 3 days of him commencing use of such a computer, he notifies the ppu unit of this use. Second reference is under deleting internet user history Deleting or interfering with any risk assessment software if it is installed upon any internet enabled device

Using words such as "maybe" and "if" suggests to me that monitor software is optional, and ultimately decided on by your ppu. You can request the software be removed on the basis that it is making your devices slow and impossible to use.

Mo22
Mo22
Supreme Being

Hi guys hope all is well and you had a nice Xmas and have a good new year. I’ve finished my probation now so a few more years shpo. I had a visit from ppu with two other tech guys to check my router. The last visit with a tech guy was some time ago but it was just one hefty device he hooked up but this time was a small laptop with a device that’s hooked on back of the their laptop and they were moving it around like some sort of detector verifing the devices. Is this new tech they using or something that been around for a while would anyone know. I wanted to ask questions but officer obviously talking to me about other things. I was all clear much to disappointment to officer face when they said everything fine lol.
GO