theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Certificate of forum

Certificate of forum

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Was - 23 Feb 23 9:03 AM
AB2014 - 23 Feb 23 8:53 AM
I haven't been getting the certificate messages for a week or two. Not in Edge, anyway.

I think an override, using either the "thisnotsafe" feature or clicking on advanced, caches the site for a while. It then reappears.

I have to admit that I have no technical knowledge about this, but I used to get those messages every time I opened a post, even if I had opened the same post a few minutes earlier. Now I get no warnings at all. When I was using Firefox, I noticed that I only saw the message once in a session.

Edit: Wouldn't you know it. The next time I visited the Forum, I got the certificate message. That's the first time in a few weeks.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Edited
Last Year by AB2014
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

AB2014 - 23 Feb 23 8:53 AM
I haven't been getting the certificate messages for a week or two. Not in Edge, anyway.

I think an override, using either the "thisnotsafe" feature or clicking on advanced, caches the site for a while. It then reappears.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Was - 21 Feb 23 10:28 AM
I suspect this might also work on other Chrome based browsers but in Microsoft Edge, if you click on the warning page and type "thisisunsafe" (no quotes) you will be allowed to access a site with an expired certificate.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

I suspect this might also work on other Chrome based browsers but in Microsoft Edge, if you click on the warning page and type "thisisunsafe" (no quotes) you will be allowed to access a site with an expired certificate.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 17 Oct 22 8:51 AM
Mark15788 - 13 Oct 22 7:34 PM
nullDid you ask her today? I was going to message about it too.

I believe the tech guy was doing it as a favour, and his goodwill has been withdrawn. He had already lost the business of hosting the website, so he had nothing further to lose and has no incentive to co-operate beyond being a nice guy. I'm thinking Unlock could start again from scratch, but they probably don't want to lose all the historical posts.

I believe that Debbie is on leave until later this week, according to her auto-reply.

Hi
A good data analysis and data transfer business should be able to take most of the "Old Posts" across to the new system as it only depends on the new systems "data structure".
You could be right but I suppose as they are a charity and the Forum is only a safe place for us, getting donations to rebuild it is obviously hard else "we" would be providing the funds.

Pity though.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Mark15788 - 13 Oct 22 7:34 PM
nullDid you ask her today? I was going to message about it too.

I believe the tech guy was doing it as a favour, and his goodwill has been withdrawn. He had already lost the business of hosting the website, so he had nothing further to lose and has no incentive to co-operate beyond being a nice guy. I'm thinking Unlock could start again from scratch, but they probably don't want to lose all the historical posts.

I believe that Debbie is on leave until later this week, according to her auto-reply.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

null

Did you ask her today? I was going to message about it too.
Was
Was
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 13 Oct 22 10:38 AM
I asked Debbie about this, and it seems to be a problem between Unlock and whoever is hosting the Forum. Apparently, they used to host the website as well when it was the Hub, and someone decided to have the site redesigned by someone else and moved without telling them. They found out before it actually happened, and they still host the Forum so they are officially unco-operative. I don't know why they haven't moved the Forum as well, but maybe the current host won't give them the data. Debbie assured me they are trying to get this sorted out, but as I learned in on the ETS programme in prison, you can't negotiate with someone who refuses to negotiate....

I used to run commercial websites (my remaining personal ones are football and music related and I continued to run them when I was on the SOR and had a SHPO).

Unlock is what we used to categorise as a "brochure" site. Information that requires regular updates but not interactive in the normal sense. Transferring a website with transactional data (i.e.The Forum database) is a little trickier. There was probably an opportunity to start afresh when there were the long running posting problems, but that would have lost a lot of the historical user posts, so I can understand why it wasn't part of the refresh.

However, it is extremely unprofessional for a company to interfere. Customers move between providers all the time. Unless it's someone in their garage, I doubt whether retaining or losing Unlock's business is worth it in the long run. 
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Was - 12 Oct 22 2:52 PM
Just bumping this.

The SSL certificate is still out of date. I don't know who Unlock's hosting provider is, but I run 2 web sites and HTTPS is "free" (or more accurately bundled into the domain registration fees).

I asked Debbie about this, and it seems to be a problem between Unlock and whoever is hosting the Forum. Apparently, they used to host the website as well when it was the Hub, and someone decided to have the site redesigned by someone else and moved without telling them. They found out before it actually happened, and they still host the Forum so they are officially unco-operative. I don't know why they haven't moved the Forum as well, but maybe the current host won't give them the data. Debbie assured me they are trying to get this sorted out, but as I learned in on the ETS programme in prison, you can't negotiate with someone who refuses to negotiate....

Was
Was
Supreme Being

Just bumping this.

The SSL certificate is still out of date. I don't know who Unlock's hosting provider is, but I run 2 web sites and HTTPS is "free" (or more accurately bundled into the domain registration fees).
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

The work around is just to click on advanced and proceed to the forums.
Was
Was
Supreme Being

The SSL certificate ran out at the beginning of July. I did email Unlock at the time, but I suspect it's not top of their priorities.
Mo22
Mo22
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

Hi yes iPhone
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

I often do too. Is this on an iPhone?
Mo22
Mo22
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

I’m getting not to trust message when entering the forum due to the certificate
GO