theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Experience of the OU and unspent conviction?

Experience of the OU and unspent conviction?

Author
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'd double check your order. While the "no contact under 16" is almost certainly a thing I suspect there will likely be a caveat to it along the lines of "No contact under 16 unless unavoidable in daily life" or words to that effect.

The fact your application appears to be progressing and didn't seem to just come to a grinding halt when you made your declaration is a promising start for you.

I'd also be cautious about your PPU potentially overstepping their bounds. Someone else on here has been seemingly having issues recently and we've discussed it a bit more in depth in this thread here: https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic33088.aspx maybe there's something relevant there to help you.

I wish you the best of luck either way! I'm looking at the possibility of going back properly to University next year (my order finishes in Feb 2023) but I'm totally lost as to what to study.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

I’m not so sure this will go well.

I want to do a full degree with them part time over six years.

The conditions of registration document states they have under 18s sometimes on courses and also in exceptional circumstances under 16s.

Although, I can’t imagine a under 16 been allowed to participate in a degree course if they are still at school.

16+ would be fine as my order says no communication with males under 16.

I went ahead and registered and answered the questions truthfully.

Received a declaration form today. Asks the usual details plus specifically asks if I have a SHPO or on SOR. Which I will need to select yes.

Also asks if I am monitored by probation or the police so I’ll need to select police and give details.

I did read further into their policies though and it states there would only be deemed to be an issue if an order in place stopped me from engaging with the course.

If they know there is going to be no under 16 participating in a degree course in the chosen subject which would seem strange if there was, I would be breaking no conditions of my order.

Plus my selected start date would be Feb and my order is finished in May so here’s hoping they can see it would all become spent a few months in anyway.
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)Supreme Being (34K reputation)

The Open University?

I'm still not classed as spent but I did a short programming course via the OU while I was still in my 'punishment' section of my order (unpaid hours) and it wasn't an issue in the slightest. Whether that was because it was a study at home and it was during COVID I'm unsure but my personal experience was fine, had no issues.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Has anyone an experience of applying for the OU and having a unspent conviction for a SO?

It becomes spent in May 2023 so should I wait?
GO