theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Experience of the OU and unspent conviction?

Experience of the OU and unspent conviction?

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thought I’d pop back and say after the application process with the OU and a risk assessment form my officer completed which I got to see and was very fair, it went to a panel and I was allowed to start my course but with restricted access which basically means that I don’t have access to the forums section of my module website and the OU email system nor can I attend live tutorials (but can access the recordings), everything else I can access.

Once end of May is here when everything ends in terms of SHPO etc. I have been told to inform the relevant team at the OU and it will go back to the panel and I should get full access.

It’s going really well, I am enjoying my course, tutor knows my circumstances and is great and submitted my first assignment so awaiting the results and feedback.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Sounds like it's going really well on the education and social side, great news, good luck!

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Dean91
Dean91
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)

Mr W - 2 Dec 22 2:42 PM
Hi Dean, great to hear of a success story and glad to hear disclosure didn't lead to disappointment. I'm sure it'll be a fascinating course. 
Can I ask, what made you choose that course and what are your hopes afterward?

Hi Mr W

So I picked: 

BA(hons) History and international relations or BSc(hons) Psychology. I did a CBA table but they were very much so tied. Then I just tossed a coin. 

The more I have done it and got involved at Unviersity, and I am doing very well on my course so far(the typical mark I recieve on an assignment is 2:1) and I have been participating in experiments. Afterwards I'd like to do a masters in a similar subject. Smile 
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Hi Dean, great to hear of a success story and glad to hear disclosure didn't lead to disappointment. I'm sure it'll be a fascinating course. 
Can I ask, what made you choose that course and what are your hopes afterward?

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Dean91
Dean91
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)Supreme Being (6.6K reputation)

JASB - 26 Nov 22 1:17 PM
Dean91 - 26 Nov 22 10:46 AM
Mark15788 - 12 Oct 22 3:25 PM
Open University are still assessing me. However another provider who has not asked about unspent convictions and does not do a dbs check, have made me an offer on their online distance learning degree course. Now I’m worried my officer may object, although I can’t see any impact on my conditions above.

Hi 

So if its any help Ido have a suggestion and that's to look at Birkbeck, University of London. 

When I applied, and did my disclosure it was based on two things: 

- Risk

- Probation conditions.

Birkbeck openly state, they are not interested in your offence directly, but what your conditions of a sentence are, to ensure:
a) you can complete your studies 
b)You can still complete your sentence plan.

I gave a statement and my PO and PPU wrote into them as well as far as I am aware. 

When I had a conversation with a safeguarding lead at a different uni that I had applied to as well he did say that generally all unis are interested in are really managing your time, if you need supervision etc, and that they had many RSO go through their doors and get full degrees etc. 

I started with OU, but I found distance learning hard. I am now undertaking my BSc(Hons) Psychology at Birkbeck -- In person! Without any issue Smile 

Many thanks for the info and will look at the subjects covered here.

No problems, this is just my experience. I found the process helpful. But from two different unis: One of them I felt very personal, and the other was very "corporate". 

I would say when choosing degrees avoid those that have a DBS- as this is an enhanced check(only applicable on a small amount of courses. Usually obvious in title), and those that have professional registration such as NMC, HCPC etc partially for RSOs. Not sure with other convictions. 

I have found them very helpful in all honesty. Nobody knows at uni about my conviction - Im not subject to the google effect anyway so this is a major factor for me. 

Smile 

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Dean91 - 26 Nov 22 10:46 AM
Open University are still assessing me. However another provider who has not asked about unspent convictions and does not do a dbs check, have made me an offer on their online distance learning degree course. Now I’m worried my officer may object, although I can’t see any impact on my conditions above.

Hi 

So if its any help Ido have a suggestion and that's to look at Birkbeck, University of London. 

- Risk

- Probation conditions.

Birkbeck openly state, they are not interested in your offence directly, but what your conditions of a sentence are, to ensure:

I gave a statement and my PO and PPU wrote into them as well as far as I am aware. 

When I had a conversation with a safeguarding lead at a different uni that I had applied to as well he did say that generally all unis are interested in are really managing your time, if you need supervision etc, and that they had many RSO go through their doors and get full degrees etc. 

I started with OU, but I found distance learning hard. I am now undertaking my BSc(Hons) Psychology at Birkbeck -- In person! Without any issue Smile 

Many thanks for the info and will look at the subjects covered here.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Dean91
Dean91
Supreme Being

Hi 

- Risk

- Probation conditions.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Open University are still assessing me.

However another provider who has not asked about unspent convictions and does not do a dbs check, have made me an offer on their online distance learning degree course.

Now I’m worried my officer may object, although I can’t see any impact on my conditions above.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

It’s all down to my officer and a risk assessment now.

I’m not even sure if they have read what I sent.

All they have said is they want to speak to my officer to ensure no restrictions prevent me from studying and I don’t breach a restriction accidentally.

Then they will do a risk assessment too.

Only restrictions I have are (summary) -

1. No contact/communication with males under 16.
2. No devices, unless reported and has the capability to retain history.
3. Allow inspection of devices.
4. No bypassing the functioning of the device.
5. No cloud access unless reported of the creation of account.
6. Allow monitoring software to be installed if wanted. (4.5 years into a 5 year order and they haven’t done this).
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Thanks.

So do you think the bit where it says unavoidable in the day to day life part of the order, can’t remember exact wording, would mean studying would come under this?

I will complete the form they have sent me but they don’t seem to ask for further details so I’m going to put in a supporting document too.

I’ve decided on a BA (Hons) in Criminology.

I’ve been more fascinated since I have been through the criminal justice system.
GO