theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Self employment for S.O?

Self employment for S.O?

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Can anyone give ideas of what are the best/most realistic employment ideas for self employment with an S.O please? (I have an S.O for images)

I am thinking of going for a leaflet distribution job I heard someone else had luck with.

I  wondered is it a bad idea to go for cleaning dog mess from people's gardens? Just thinking of service based jobs where there is always a need.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so always worry about whether my ideas are sensible or not- Background checks/risk etc.

So to recap-

1. Dog poo cleaning idea good?
2. Any other sled employment ideas?

Thanks
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

"I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed" - don't do yourself down lad. You're coming up with ideas in what is a very tricky situation. Having belief in yourself will help get past some of those barriers eventually.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

Mr W - 3 Oct 22 2:19 PM
"I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed" - don't do yourself down lad. You're coming up with ideas in what is a very tricky situation. Having belief in yourself will help get past some of those barriers eventually.

Thank you. I wondered if any potential interaction with kids  and stuff would be problematic with cleaning dog poo from people's gardens? Just read/saw folks doing it as it a potential evergreen job? Thanks again.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
JamesZ - 3 Oct 22 10:19 PM
Mr W - 3 Oct 22 2:19 PM

Thank you. I wondered if any potential interaction with kids  and stuff would be problematic with cleaning dog poo from people's gardens? Just read/saw folks doing it as it a potential evergreen job? Thanks again.

Hi
Your taking the right approach by considering the pros and cons of any occupational role you undertake.

As we don't know your skillset in particular what "transferable" skills you have ( those from previous roles that can be of use to you in a different role) it is hard to suggest.
However I am sure you have a CV so study that and write down a brief statement on each element required of any and all roles you have had.
List them in the order of your ability and enjoyment of undertaking that skill.
Look at "work/roles" that utilise your preferred skillsets. 
Then look at those roles from a PPU / SO conditions perspective to see how each could be objected to.
Obviously if you find a role that you think creates no objections, then research and apply for that role(s).
Write down answers to the "objections you think maybe raised" and if you think you can "stand your ground" then research and apply that role(s)

It is hard to appreciate that the process is just the same as that followed by "any" jobseeker" so if you can:
take the approach of someone finding a wonderful job but they do not have the correct qualifications for; but they have self belief.

In other words you lack the qualification of a clean record, but many individuals succeed in roles even though they do not have "qualifications"!

good luck and any questions please ask.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO