theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Getting back into performing music gigs with an S.O?

Getting back into performing music gigs with an S.O?

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
This was back in uni, so 18+, but *quite big celeb* was doing a tour of the student union bars and a friend of a friend went back to his hotel room with a couple of other girls but afterward, they all signed non-disclosure agreements.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Mr W
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Just as an aside. I wonder if anything has changed in the music business? Back in the 1970s and 80s, there were always loads of under age girls hanging around backstage and nobody cared. It's obviously very different now, so do musicians ask for age verification, before they accept any 'offers' from groupies these days?
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
JamesZ - 4 Oct 22 9:14 PM
khafka - 4 Oct 22 5:42 PM
As a musician myself, this is something I've certainly been battling with mentally. With regards to your background checks - I've played maybe 300 various gigs in my time with previous bands and jamming stuff and the amount of times a background check was carried out is a grand total of zero.

Although there's not real checks needed in my experience in the pub scene (and given the gigs I played were typically in pubs it'd be 18+ shows so should be no issues PPU wise regardless). My issue is the music scene I am/was a part of that people know me. My fear is actually getting back on stage after all these years and folk in the crowd shouting abuse, the band shouldn't have to put up with that. I think this is where your main issue might lie, when people actually know/recognise you.

I'm working on my some music just now but it'll certainly be released under a pseudonym.

As for gigging in the future, it's a possibility but it'd likely have to be out of town.

Thanks. Yeah it's hard when music is a part of you. Good to know there was zero background checks. I kinda like to let go a little on stage and it has gained a bit of attention- I guess a restrained performance is better than nothing! Out of town might be a good idea for me too. Man I miss getting paid at nighttime for a few hours of fun! Good luck with your ventures. Cheers!

Hi
PPU and conditions:
A venue may allow under 18's into to it, however it would be a hard task for a PPU to say your conditions prevent you from being there on the grounds you are "communicating" with someone underage for example. Mine says I cannot with under 16's but accidental i.e. on a bus is acceptable.

Its extreme but the danger would be if your band "took off" and so travel became necessary i.e. out of the country. 
My son is a tour manager / front of house (sound) with a band that has hit the headlines and so touring worldwide and he wanted me to help as a driver. I said no due to travel overseas and risk to him if people discovered my misjudgement.

If it is something that brings quality to your life then relocate, change your name etc and believe in yourself and do not let "whatifs" stand in your way. After all you already know you are responsible for your actions; so just ensure consequences on all future actions are favourable to you. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

khafka - 4 Oct 22 5:42 PM
As a musician myself, this is something I've certainly been battling with mentally. With regards to your background checks - I've played maybe 300 various gigs in my time with previous bands and jamming stuff and the amount of times a background check was carried out is a grand total of zero.

Although there's not real checks needed in my experience in the pub scene (and given the gigs I played were typically in pubs it'd be 18+ shows so should be no issues PPU wise regardless). My issue is the music scene I am/was a part of that people know me. My fear is actually getting back on stage after all these years and folk in the crowd shouting abuse, the band shouldn't have to put up with that. I think this is where your main issue might lie, when people actually know/recognise you.

I'm working on my some music just now but it'll certainly be released under a pseudonym.

As for gigging in the future, it's a possibility but it'd likely have to be out of town.

Thanks. Yeah it's hard when music is a part of you. Good to know there was zero background checks. I kinda like to let go a little on stage and it has gained a bit of attention- I guess a restrained performance is better than nothing! Out of town might be a good idea for me too. Man I miss getting paid at nighttime for a few hours of fun! Good luck with your ventures. Cheers!
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)Supreme Being (33K reputation)

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

I've been debating this for some time. It's something I really enjoyed doing. I used to do cover songs with another guy and an agent around clubs. I don't recall them asking/checking background.

I remember talking it over with probation ages ago and they said they knew a guy doing pub gigs but he had to be careful -  didn't go into details (So that could be any number of things)

I have an S.O for images. No Google presence. Not sure if I should go for it or not? 

Any thoughts? I always worry about these sort of things with background checks etc 

Thanks
GO