theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Police misconduct

Police misconduct

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
punter99 - 17 Oct 22 12:01 PM
AB2014 - 17 Oct 22 11:36 AM
punter99 - 17 Oct 22 10:57 AM
Reading the latest report into the Met today, I came across this:

"management teams who wanted to better understand the scale and extent of sexism and misogyny in order to tackle the problems, highlighted some of the behaviours officers and staff are putting up with on a daily basis....the survey found that 22% of public protection officers who responded...had experienced unwanted sexual advances or touching."

So the PPU, whose job is to manage SO, are working alongside SO, maybe even in the same teams. Staggering.

I share your concerns, but you forget to say "alleged" before "SO", which could well change things completely for many officers, especially in a force where it is such a big problem anyway. Anecodotal evidence suggests that there are probably more victims who did not say they had experienced any of that. It all comes back to "Who watches the watchers?" (I know it was in an episode of Morse, so don't make me quote the Latin at you! 😉)

More fundamentally, I don't think that many of the officers who behave like this, regard themselves as SO. They see the people they manage as 'monsters', but are unable to see parallels with their own behaviour. Wayne Couzens for example, was displaying all the signs of sex addiction, but his colleagues failed to notice it.

Just about all groups in society are judged by the worst people in that group, which is one reason why some PPU officers give all SO's a hard time regardless of the actual offence and risk assessments. For some reason, Met officers didn't apply their own prejudices to themselves and each other.....

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

AB2014 - 17 Oct 22 11:36 AM

"management teams who wanted to better understand the scale and extent of sexism and misogyny in order to tackle the problems, highlighted some of the behaviours officers and staff are putting up with on a daily basis....the survey found that 22% of public protection officers who responded...had experienced unwanted sexual advances or touching."

So the PPU, whose job is to manage SO, are working alongside SO, maybe even in the same teams. Staggering.

I share your concerns, but you forget to say "alleged" before "SO", which could well change things completely for many officers, especially in a force where it is such a big problem anyway. Anecodotal evidence suggests that there are probably more victims who did not say they had experienced any of that. It all comes back to "Who watches the watchers?" (I know it was in an episode of Morse, so don't make me quote the Latin at you! 😉)

More fundamentally, I don't think that many of the officers who behave like this, regard themselves as SO. They see the people they manage as 'monsters', but are unable to see parallels with their own behaviour. Wayne Couzens for example, was displaying all the signs of sex addiction, but his colleagues failed to notice it.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

GO