theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

SOR, foreign travel notifications and unplanned ‘onward’ travel before return

SOR, foreign travel notifications and unplanned ‘onward’ travel before...

Author
davey1981
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)Supreme Being (82 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have read posts elsewhere that touch on this area but have not found anything that is concrete as to where an individual would stand.

If someone on the SOR notifies as per the requirements, but then whilst away, wishes to visit somewhere nearby (another jurisdiction or country), which wasn’t planned in advance, where do they stand if they are already outside the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom?

They cannot notify as they can only do so at a prescribed police station as set down by the relevant secondary legislation. So an email to their responsible officer/PPU wouldn’t suffice.

I ask as plans can sometimes change even if you wish to rebuild your life and comply with the law.

Would there be a situation where you could visit elsewhere and not be stopped at the time, but as soon as you return to the UK, you’d be hammered into the floor?

If anyone has experience of this sort of situation, which must have happened over the years, I’d really like to read your experiences, both whilst away and on return to the UK.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

davey1981 - 24 Nov 22 2:37 AM
I have read posts elsewhere that touch on this area but have not found anything that is concrete as to where an individual would stand.

If someone on the SOR notifies as per the requirements, but then whilst away, wishes to visit somewhere nearby (another jurisdiction or country), which wasn’t planned in advance, where do they stand if they are already outside the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom?

They cannot notify as they can only do so at a prescribed police station as set down by the relevant secondary legislation. So an email to their responsible officer/PPU wouldn’t suffice.

I ask as plans can sometimes change even if you wish to rebuild your life and comply with the law.

Would there be a situation where you could visit elsewhere and not be stopped at the time, but as soon as you return to the UK, you’d be hammered into the floor?

If anyone has experience of this sort of situation, which must have happened over the years, I’d really like to read your experiences, both whilst away and on return to the UK.

Although notification should be done at a police station, that doesn't mean that an email wouldn't suffice, if things changed unexpectedly and you were abroad and unable to inform the police any other way.

Rather than look at the exact wording of the law, I would consider the practicalities of  prosecuting somebody who didn't follow the rules. The courts and police do make allowances for unexpected events, provided the person has acted reasonably in the circumstances. They do have some discretion. So if you sent a email and stated in it, that you were abroad and unable to get to a UK police station, they would take this into account, when deciding whether to prosecute you or not. A lot of it would come down to whether or not they thought your reasons for changing your plans were genuine and whether you really did intend to comply with the law.
JGUK68
JGUK68
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)Supreme Being (2.6K reputation)

davey1981 - 24 Nov 22 2:37 AM

I have asked my PPU the following :" If I go and stay abroad for a long time (like 2-3 months) do I have to notify if ,from there (the notified destination), I go elsewhere (not notified) during or after that period of time?". Their reply was "If you want, you can. But you don't have to". That was 4 years ago, not sure if things have changed since.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

JGUK68 - 24 Nov 22 3:45 PM
I have asked my PPU the following :" If I go and stay abroad for a long time (like 2-3 months) do I have to notify if ,from there (the notified destination), I go elsewhere (not notified) during or after that period of time?". Their reply was "If you want, you can. But you don't have to". That was 4 years ago, not sure if things have changed since.

That was your PPU. As has been noted in several posts, interpretations vary from the can't be arsed to capricious between forces and even between PPOs.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,
I have experience of the Met Police when I notified them of my going overseas just days after being placed on the SOR (2011)and waiting sentencing; which was to take place a year later!! The PO was acceptable to my visiting family overseas as I had just spent 3 months there whilst on bail and awaiting the Plea Management hearing.

On visiting the station they said I did not have to tell them any alterations but would check. Phoning them a couple of days later still not info but I actually said would emails be OK?

Again 2 days later I phoned with the same response. The next day 2 officers where waiting outside my hotel, (long story regard my accommodation) for me.
They first talked to me in their vehicle and asked for my passport to check something. It was in my room so one of them accompanied me to get it and then return to their car.

Many questions later they said I had to go to the station with them for a further chat; one the way I phoned my solicitor on loud speaker. This upset the officers and said I was not under arrest.
In essence they put me in a room, brought about 6 other officers in and gave me documents on violent sex offenders and wanted my opinion. When I asked why as my offence was nothing like their examples they all just verbally abused me in their normal manner.

An hour later I was allowed to go but they kept my passport.
Two days later I was told I had to go to Court as they wanted me to be put on remand and keep my passport. My call evidence showed my intention and that my aim was just to work with them about my SOR requirements and the Judge thanked me for my actions. I was not put on remand but the Met Solicitor demanded they keep my passport; he won that.
Even though the law says any passport not in the holders procession must be returned to the Passport Office, but that is another topic.

When I tried to get it back (after sentencing) I wrote asking the Judge to get involved, they suddenly said they had lost it even though they had it 4 days before. I had an apology off the Judge and nothing from the Met!

Again I have the opinion that a lot of those "who supervise" do not know the answers to all scenarios and so manipulate the actual process and words to their advantage and objective.

Just ensure you are proactive and helpful in you questions and document everything. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO