theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Conviction or no conviction? Applying for a Visa

Conviction or no conviction? Applying for a Visa

Author
Laura
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)Supreme Being (90 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone

I’m a little bit confused and extremely nervous.
I am in the process of emigrating to the USA with my husband.
I was interviewed under caution back in 2019 - no further action was taken and that was the last I heard of anything.
I suppose my question is will this show up on an ACRO report?
Anyone been in this similar situation?
This information doesn’t show on my enhanced DBS check.
Just trying to get ahead of myself here, I’ve done my best to block it out until now.

Any information would be really helpful
Thanks
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Laura - 5 Dec 22 11:38 AM
Hi everyone

I was interviewed under caution back in 2019 - no further action was taken and that was the last I heard of anything.
Just trying to get ahead of myself here, I’ve done my best to block it out until now.

Thanks

The document you would need from the police (via ACRO) is effectively a list of cautions and convictions. Being interviewed under caution is not the same as receiving a police caution. In this case, it resulted in No Further Action (NFA), and NFA's are not listed on your police certificate. There is no point disclosing something that will not be shown on your official paperwork, as the US immigration authorities aren't going to see it.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Ify78
Ify78
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)

Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi Laura

I went through a non immigrant visa application and just got my visa after 4 months.
Once you get the AcRO certificate back depending on what the status shows, since the stepping down it may not be listed for example if it says No Live Traces that means there is a historic event so the embassy will want to see evidence of this.
The only other piece of information you can access to really know if this will show up is to make a Subject Access Request by sending an email to subjectaccess@acro.police.uk or via their website https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject-access-(1)

It took about 15 days from sending the email to receiving the completed
This will give you all information held on the Police National Computer. This will give you the reassurance of knowing what is recorded allowing you to prepare the appropriate way forward.
Hopefully it won’t be there.

I hope this information helps you with your current situation.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Ify78 - 3 Jan 23 11:54 AM
Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi Laura

I went through a non immigrant visa application and just got my visa after 4 months.
Once you get the AcRO certificate back depending on what the status shows, since the stepping down it may not be listed for example if it says No Live Traces that means there is a historic event so the embassy will want to see evidence of this.
The only other piece of information you can access to really know if this will show up is to make a Subject Access Request by sending an email to subjectaccess@acro.police.uk or via their website https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject-access-(1)

This will give you all information held on the Police National Computer. This will give you the reassurance of knowing what is recorded allowing you to prepare the appropriate way forward.

Hi
Many thanks for this and just submitted my request. Very quick and easy process. Was worried about it being delivered by post but saw email is a valid option Smile

Been meaning to do this for some time so again thanks for the reminder.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Ify78
Ify78
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)Supreme Being (407 reputation)

JASB - 3 Jan 23 3:55 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi Laura

Hi
Many thanks for this and just submitted my request. Very quick and easy process. Was worried about it being delivered by post but saw email is a valid option Smile

Hi Laura
I know what you mean about receiving that information in the post. My background is a secret I will be taking to my grave as my wife or kids don’t know about my record from before I got married.
So getting by email was a relief for me.

Wishing you all the best with this process it really is not easy as the information on the US embassy website is not simple or clear and can be interpreted in anyway… as I came to learn when my visa was refused at the embassy in London and had to be sent to Department of Homeland Security for a Visa Waiver. I am glad I had already received the SAR and was able to provide this to them saving time after that point.

From what you say about the caution even if it does show that seems minor enough for it not to cause any issues for you. So it’s better to know what is on record before you apply, so you can answer with the knowledge there is nothing to worry about.

Best wishes.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Ify78 - 3 Jan 23 6:54 PM
JASB - 3 Jan 23 3:55 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi Laura

Hi

Hi Laura
I know what you mean about receiving that information in the post. My background is a secret I will be taking to my grave as my wife or kids don’t know about my record from before I got married.
So getting by email was a relief for me.

Wishing you all the best with this process it really is not easy as the information on the US embassy website is not simple or clear and can be interpreted in anyway… as I came to learn when my visa was refused at the embassy in London and had to be sent to Department of Homeland Security for a Visa Waiver. I am glad I had already received the SAR and was able to provide this to them saving time after that point.

From what you say about the caution even if it does show that seems minor enough for it not to cause any issues for you. So it’s better to know what is on record before you apply, so you can answer with the knowledge there is nothing to worry about.

Best wishes.

Don't forget that Laura wasn't given a caution - she was interviewed under caution, which is not the same thing. She says it resulted in No Further Action, so it will not be on her police certificate from ACRO. As far as the US authorities can tell, she effectively has no record, and certainly has nothing to disclose to them. Yes, they ask if she has ever been arrested, but as her official paperwork will say No Trace, she doesn't have to disclose the arrest.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO