theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

They say there is no harm in telling the world details.

They say there is no harm in telling the world details.

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
My post also ties into my recent discussions concerning my SOPO discharge. I had a visit, that was a late annual check, and informed that my new and actual PPU officer would be contacting me to discuss the  application process as they are required to have their report to the Courts this week. My last PPU officer has already wrote the report agreeing with its discharge and just hoping new staff do!!

I mentioned my desire / need to keep my past out of the attention of the media and quoted my posting this topic. No real reply was given therefore I am hoping that was simply because of there not wishing to discuss either the Court situation, tell me in advance they agree for a "admin" process of my application or ??

Various other very stressful events are happening in my life at the moment (landlord just told me he is selling the property so rent will be increasing by £200 with new owner)  so this hanging over me is definately not healthy!! 

Will let you know how it all goes

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Richie - 6 Feb 23 11:09 PM
punter99 - 6 Feb 23 10:53 AM
There was a recent news story, that vigilantes had turned up at the bail hostel, where Gary Glitter was staying. The address was shared on social media, most likely by another one of the people in the hostel. Police were called after someone tried to scale the fence. It follows a series of newspaper articles about his release, where the Sun tried to whip up hatred, by claiming he was living near ten schools. 

I do think the media needs to have a lot more responsibility and restrictions on how it reports sex offenders.

A lot of newspapers they are certainly trying to get the public worked up about Gary Glitters release. Whilst there is not necessarily anything untrue being said the tone of the reporting is to get people worked up, it should be more factual.

You see it time and time again in newspapers with a lot of offenders. Words used are to get people to read the article and to get them angry about the offender.

You are right, but their treatment of any person, whether an offender or a member of the royal family is aimed at increasing traffic to their website, and if it sells papers as well, that's a bonus. As with so many situations in various countries in the past, they dehumanise a group or an individual, which allows people to feel like they can treat them as badly as they want and not face any comeback. Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Richie
Richie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

There was a recent news story, that vigilantes had turned up at the bail hostel, where Gary Glitter was staying. The address was shared on social media, most likely by another one of the people in the hostel. Police were called after someone tried to scale the fence. It follows a series of newspaper articles about his release, where the Sun tried to whip up hatred, by claiming he was living near ten schools. 

I do think the media needs to have a lot more responsibility and restrictions on how it reports sex offenders.

A lot of newspapers they are certainly trying to get the public worked up about Gary Glitters release. Whilst there is not necessarily anything untrue being said the tone of the reporting is to get people worked up, it should be more factual.

You see it time and time again in newspapers with a lot of offenders. Words used are to get people to read the article and to get them angry about the offender.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)Supreme Being (163K reputation)

I'm told there was a case near where I live now of a rumour that he had moved into sheltered accommodation. A gang went round there and trashed the place, completely unaware that he was actually in prison at the time. Luckily, the old guy was out at the time or who knows what might have happened. People generally seemed to think it was really funny rather than concerned that an elderly man's life had just been turned upside-down for no good reason. The incident might not have happened, but the people I spoke to really did think it was hilarious.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

AB2014 - 2 Feb 23 9:51 AM
JASB - 30 Jan 23 4:02 PM
AB2014 - 26 Jan 23 10:42 AM
punter99 - 25 Jan 23 10:46 AM

Pretty grim. I imagine social media was to blame, for spreading false rumours about him.

No, I'm fairly sure it was his assailants and anyone who spread false rumours about him.

Understand your thoughts but where di they get the initial belief from?

Well, at least one human being must have started the rumours before they reached social media. 

Agree but as I mentioned to my PPU when they ask if any new or do I want a relationship? There are always consequences to anything; I cannot change my past i.e. stop the offence happening, but I can attempt to protect my future by careful management of life. That means not disclosing by avoiding certain scenarios. 
However rushed events (arrests) and instant fame seekers cannot be controlled, so the local gossip mongers can make statements with animosity and thought of the consequences.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

JASB - 30 Jan 23 4:02 PM

Pretty grim. I imagine social media was to blame, for spreading false rumours about him.

No, I'm fairly sure it was his assailants and anyone who spread false rumours about him.

Well, at least one human being must have started the rumours before they reached social media. 

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

Even being suspected of being a SO is deadly.

GO