theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

The importance of perseverance

The importance of perseverance

Author
Dave23
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Around 15 years ago I made some bad choices that changed my and others lives and went to prison for 5 years. During my stay at hmp I strived to better myself and take on new challenges. I learned skills in communication and ICT for office and spreadsheets.

After my liberation date I found a job after 3 months of applying EVERYWHERE,  I spent 5 months in the role and was eventually rumbled when someone noticed me from a news article. I had to move jobs. I spent a short stint unemployed and got another job with an agency in a warehouse which went well for a couple of years. My social work and police team were fully supportive of my employment and encouraged me to succeed. 

After 2 years the gig was up and someone from my past joined the warehouse team and ultimately recognised me and proceeded to put rumours around about my convictions, again forcing my hand to leave. The agency tried to get me another placement but were unsuccessful. I spent another few months unemployed - Going into a dark place. Picking myself back up I just tried applying everywhere again. I eventually found a job handling calls. I interviewed well and the person was made fully aware of my past. I was offered a post and was in the job for 7 months. The clients campaign who I worked on then required everyone to do a disclosure, I thought I would be fine as I had disclosed during my initial interview however this was not the case and I was ultimately asked to leave due to the clients policy on employment of people with convictions.

After this i did some agency work for awhile but never really settled. I was placed in a local factory and took well to the job. I was eventually offered to apply for a full time role and did thinking the agency had made them aware of any convictions. I got the job and spent the next 3 and a half years there until again my world was turned up side down by someone sending an email to the employer expressing there concern that I was employed in their business. Ultimately again this led to a new job search. After another 2 months on universal credit I found a job with another call centre. I applied and interviewed the question of my convictions never came up however I put it in my application. I was offered a post.

At the start of this post I said I bettered my self inside by learning communication and ict skills. I have now been in my current role for 10 months and have now been offered a promotion due to my skills gained while inside. Things seem to be looking up for the first time in awhile. It's through perseverance, luck and hard work that I am where I am just now. 

I understand that things may be different for you but I just wanted to share my story in hopes that it inspires you to keep going no matter what this world throws at you.

To whoever reads this please never give up and keep pursuing your dreams and goals.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Thanks for sharing this Dave.
Quick maths says this is actually a story over a period of about… eight years-ish?!
I’m really pleased to hear you didn’t give up. Perseverance, as you say, has certainly been key. 
You didn’t deserve the "re-punishments" made by others to make you lose your job.
I hope you’re able to build on what you have now and able to smash the rest of your goals!

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Dave23
Dave23
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)Supreme Being (152 reputation)

Your maths is pretty spot on it’s been around 9 years now. It’s been a difficult journey for sure and society will be what it is, I suppose part of me still deserves that but the other half says how can I make sure I better myself and payback my choices.. those dark times really get you thinking and taking account of previous transgressions. I can’t change the past but I can certainly influence the future. For now my future looks bright and I’m looking forward to my new promotion but i will always have it in the back of my mind of what brought me to this point and how others may travel or have travelled the same path as me. We all need to stay strong and move forward no matter what challenges present themselves. It’s the importance of small steps that really matters.

Take care my friend and I hope life has great things in store for you
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
The attitude you are and have showed is something everyone could / should learn from.

My case I have spoken about numerous times (over 2000 applications with job offers rescinded on disclosure) and I assure you my attitude has been the same as yours; I have to learn from the experience, take my historical skills and enhance them to be effected in the "new me" future.

Though since my release I have failed to become "financially rewarded" for any employment, I have found various ways to help others in their businesses; and refrain from disclosure. Mind you I am vocal about Unlock and the issues faced by the label "sex Offender" and challenge anyone who just quotes "sun" headlines in complete ignorance. Most respect my stance and are willing to learn from my knowledge; others can't understand why I wish to associate with sex offenders. That shows a lot more about their character than mine; especially when listening to their conversations on subjects someone is made an "offender" over.

In the end their businesses gain from my "unpaid" support and are always appreciative. However I am not under any illusions of the "fallout" my disclosure occurred.

Well done and keep posting as others will learn from your efforts

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO