theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Basic DBS Check - Previous Name

Basic DBS Check - Previous Name

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
david123 - 11 Apr 23 3:43 PM
Mark15788 - 8 Apr 23 11:03 AM
When I changed my surname I thought it was a good idea because I knew there was stuff online. I then thought, great when it’s all spent. Least with jobs asking for the basic DBS mine would then come back clean but didn’t realise the certificate also revealed the previous surname, I assumed they just needed that for part of the checking. So moving forward, if I ever want to move on from my current job role, I only have a few options - 1. Apply for roles where no DBS is asked for and then even if the job application form asks about convictions I can legally say no. 2. Apply for roles where a basic DBS is asked for and hope no one in HR that will see the certificate googles the previous surname. 3. Get the links removed from Google but I know others have struggled with this. End of the day, I’ve changed my surname as I was allowed to do, I reported this to the police as I was required to do, but feel disheartened that moving forwards it’s all going to impact what jobs I can move into still.

I have the same problem. My conviction is spent but I changed my surname because of a couple of vigilante web sites reporting the sensationalised local newspaper report of my conviction. Unfortunately people will always be curious as to why someone changed their name and will Google the previous name. Google really should be forced to remove articles about legally spent convictions.

Hi
having the same feeling I sometimes just do a search on my previous and new surnames. Strangely this can reassure me as  a lot of hunting has sometimes to be undertaken to actually find anything.
All I can suggest is that anyone seeking to change their name either make it a common name or a complicated one that brings many overseas or famous individuals as most searchers will back off if it is not on the first page.

Just some thoughts but try to stay positive as you may discover not as many people are looking for us as we think.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
david123
david123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mark15788 - 8 Apr 23 11:03 AM
When I changed my surname I thought it was a good idea because I knew there was stuff online. I then thought, great when it’s all spent. Least with jobs asking for the basic DBS mine would then come back clean but didn’t realise the certificate also revealed the previous surname, I assumed they just needed that for part of the checking. So moving forward, if I ever want to move on from my current job role, I only have a few options - 1. Apply for roles where no DBS is asked for and then even if the job application form asks about convictions I can legally say no. 2. Apply for roles where a basic DBS is asked for and hope no one in HR that will see the certificate googles the previous surname. 3. Get the links removed from Google but I know others have struggled with this. End of the day, I’ve changed my surname as I was allowed to do, I reported this to the police as I was required to do, but feel disheartened that moving forwards it’s all going to impact what jobs I can move into still.

I have the same problem. My conviction is spent but I changed my surname because of a couple of vigilante web sites reporting the sensationalised local newspaper report of my conviction. Unfortunately people will always be curious as to why someone changed their name and will Google the previous name. Google really should be forced to remove articles about legally spent convictions.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

When I changed my surname I thought it was a good idea because I knew there was stuff online.

I then thought, great when it’s all spent. Least with jobs asking for the basic DBS mine would then come back clean but didn’t realise the certificate also revealed the previous surname, I assumed they just needed that for part of the checking.

So moving forward, if I ever want to move on from my current job role, I only have a few options -

1. Apply for roles where no DBS is asked for and then even if the job application form asks about convictions I can legally say no.

2. Apply for roles where a basic DBS is asked for and hope no one in HR that will see the certificate googles the previous surname.

3. Get the links removed from Google but I know others have struggled with this.

End of the day, I’ve changed my surname as I was allowed to do, I reported this to the police as I was required to do, but feel disheartened that moving forwards it’s all going to impact what jobs I can move into still.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
With the current media attention on SO's changing names and the debate in Parliament, I hope the Justice system sincerely think about all the consequences any legal changes will have.
I could also see it being legally challenged as what SO offences would a person have to be convicted of for a "ban" to be made against them. Also if implemented, I would ask why are murderers and drug dealers etc not also included as do they also not devastate lives?

Also once a person is off "conditions" be they SOPO or SOR, who or how is it going to be checked by?

Again I think we have "understandable emotions" of those grieving, being used by the media / MP's without tougher thought process and used for their own agendas!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Just for context this was in 2022 around Jan time the certificate was issued because I remember the job offer was withdrawn.

My current job did not involve a dbs check.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

I remember a few years back when I was offered a job I had to have a basic check done. I had changed my surname but had to provide my previous surname on the form and this was shown on the basic certificate.

As many will know my orders all end in approx 6 weeks time.

I started thinking about the checks again this evening and thought it’s obviously good because if I need a basic check again in the future my conviction will be spent and will not show.

However, my previous surname would still show and people could if they wanted Google it and find out that way.

So that made me think, even though a basic check won’t list my conviction it does still present challenges in the respect that anyone requesting one would still be aware I’ve changed my surname and could Google me and then that would probably affect my future still.
GO