theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Applying for the Open Uni

Applying for the Open Uni

Author
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
They have a team that specifically deals with people in this situation and they were really supportive and keen on me actually wanting to progress away from this.

That is great to know and will hopefully be reassuring to others.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)

Hi Both

Thank you for your feedback it was really helpful.

I contacted Open uni, and explained my circumstances transparently and they said they'd be happy for me to apply Smile when convicted they'll have to make some adjustments to how i learn but they've recommended business management (Which is kind of what i hoped for anyways) which can be done without having to use group sessions ect with potential minors.

Feeling quite happy knowing there may be something constrictive for me to do!.

I'll let you all know how this progresses but so far they've been really pleasant. They have a team that specifically deals with people in this situation and they were really supportive and keen on me actually wanting to progress away from this.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

My understanding, based on what others have said on here, is that the Uni will do their own risk assessment, so they won't just automatically reject you.
They may not even ask if you are on bail. They tend to ask about convictions, and you don't have any, in which case you are under no obligation to tell them anything. But each Uni is different, so you may want to check their website first.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/criminal-convictions-what-you-need-know 
Edited
Last Year by punter99
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Blue Moon - 13 Apr 23 12:36 PM
Hi All

Bit of a weird request but has anybody got any recommendations RE uni?

I'm mainly looking for the right time to apply ect. I've decided futher education to be my best bet going foward as i want to do something constructive in the years i'll struggle for emploment?

I'm currently still on bail and looking at a 2nd interview November time this year, so probably be going to court spring 2024 with the current wait times ect. Also worth noting this is an images offence and not a contact one.

I'm currently qualified to A level (i was actually doing a degree through work before getting sacked which was distance so i know i'm capable)

My main thing is timing. I'm keen to apply now but first of all considering i'm on bail would i be instantly rejected. My ideal situation would be to get onto something so the courts can see i'm doing something productive in my life rather than just staying on benefits. I've kept my nose clean on bail, done safer lives and been as co-operative as possible in hopes of avoiding a custodial. but my fear is also if i was accepted and got sent down would this mess up applying for student finance in the future ect.

I'm really sorry i know this is vague but I'm struggling to find any answers or who to ask.

Appreciate any input.

Never apologize for asking questions, it is things like these that these forums exist and many of us here are always happy to help.

As you are currently on bail awaiting to be charged, were you given conditional or unconditional bail?
To my understanding, regardless of which bail you were given. You are not obligated to inform anyone of your situation, including the Uni. (correct me if I am wrong) Applying would definitely show progression and would likely go in your favor if being brought to court.
The unfortunate thing is and this is not to scare you in any way, If you apply and later get reported on and given a SHPO there is a very good chance the Uni will then turn you away once they know. Or heavily restrict your access on premises.
If your solicitor is good then they could argue the fact a SHPO will not be necessary due to the fact it was not a contact offense and the SHPO would over all interfere with Uni.

Between first getting arrested, to being brought before the courts. This in my opinion is usually where most people get the help they need, take steps to further improve their lives. After courts all this progress is shattered and is ultimately where the justice system and media fails.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

I don't know if this eases the pressure somewhat but remember you only pay back your student loan when you're earning enough to do so. It just lingers in the background and isn't really considered "debt", so try not to worry too much about the money side of going to university.
Sorry to hear you were sacked. I'm not sure why you were as you've not been convicted of anything yet, especially as it sounds you were doing well if you were studying for more qualifications while working, what a shame.
I'll assume you have no convictions as of today, so you shouldn't have any barriers for applying to Open Uni or an in-person uni. As for getting a conviction mid-course, it gets tricky and it gets into crystal ball territory, especially if you get reported in the press. Who knows they might come back and go 'No further action'. 
I think it'd be worth a call to Unlock or NACRO as they might have more experience, you won't be the first person going through this and, unfortunately, won't be the last. Good luck.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
Last Year by Mr W
Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)Supreme Being (896 reputation)

Hi All

Bit of a weird request but has anybody got any recommendations RE uni?

I'm mainly looking for the right time to apply ect. I've decided futher education to be my best bet going foward as i want to do something constructive in the years i'll struggle for emploment?

I'm currently still on bail and looking at a 2nd interview November time this year, so probably be going to court spring 2024 with the current wait times ect. Also worth noting this is an images offence and not a contact one.

I'm currently qualified to A level (i was actually doing a degree through work before getting sacked which was distance so i know i'm capable)

My main thing is timing. I'm keen to apply now but first of all considering i'm on bail would i be instantly rejected. My ideal situation would be to get onto something so the courts can see i'm doing something productive in my life rather than just staying on benefits. I've kept my nose clean on bail, done safer lives and been as co-operative as possible in hopes of avoiding a custodial. but my fear is also if i was accepted and got sent down would this mess up applying for student finance in the future ect.

I'm really sorry i know this is vague but I'm struggling to find any answers or who to ask.

Appreciate any input.

Edit: I won't be applying for anything that involves vulnerable people or children so no need for concern there.
Edited
Last Year by Blue Moon
GO