theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Have I ruined my chances?

Have I ruined my chances?

Author
jumper1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hey all.

I'll try to keep this post fairly vague to protect my privacy. Hope you all understand.

I was convicted of a sexual assault when I was under 18 and suffice to say, it's a huge mental obstacle for me to overcome - especially because I was a child. The last few years have been very difficult.
I'm someone who as a result of what happened has severe anxiety, depression and paranoia.

I am wanting to visit friends and family in the US but I am extremely worried about going for obvious reasons. Earlier this year I wanted to go and visit Canada with some friends but I decided to be honest on my ETA application. At the time, for me, being honest felt safer and the right thing to do. I couldn't get my police certificate in time though so the application was rejected on that basis. Of course, as part of the application process you send them your passport info and the details of your conviction etc.

I gave up on Canada after a while because ACRO's site had issues and I had a feeling it would of been a no anyway, and I was also worried about how it would affect my potential prospects to go to the US. I know the two countries share information. I applied for an ESTA fully expecting it to be rejected and that would be that, but to my surprise it went through fine. I know an ESTA doesn't gaurentee entry but it was a good (and encouraging) first step for me.

My biggest worry and question is this - if I go to the US (I'm going to likely go through Dublin first just in case) would I then be stopped at the border on the fact that I already technically disclosed to Canada even though the application fizzled out due to time constraints? I'm likely being paranoid, but I am sure as many as you know in situations with a conviction it is hard at times to remain positive. Would the US know? I know it's a risk to go on the ESTA anyway, but have I ruined my chances and actually made it worse for myself? I spoke to Unlock over the phone a while back and they assured me that's not really how it works - and I don't have anything to worry about, but I am wanting a second opinion on here if possible.

To anyone that answers this in advance, thank you so much. This has been a worry of mine for a long time now, and I just want to go to the US and feel like I can actually do things with my life. It's an issue I really need to put to bed as it is making me unwell as I am that worried.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
jumper1 - 7 Oct 23 1:07 AM
Hey all.

I'll try to keep this post fairly vague to protect my privacy. Hope you all understand.

I was convicted of a sexual assault when I was under 18 and suffice to say, it's a huge mental obstacle for me to overcome - especially because I was a child. The last few years have been very difficult.
I'm someone who as a result of what happened has severe anxiety, depression and paranoia.

I am wanting to visit friends and family in the US but I am extremely worried about going for obvious reasons. Earlier this year I wanted to go and visit Canada with some friends but I decided to be honest on my ETA application. At the time, for me, being honest felt safer and the right thing to do. I couldn't get my police certificate in time though so the application was rejected on that basis. Of course, as part of the application process you send them your passport info and the details of your conviction etc.

I gave up on Canada after a while because ACRO's site had issues and I had a feeling it would of been a no anyway, and I was also worried about how it would affect my potential prospects to go to the US. I know the two countries share information. I applied for an ESTA fully expecting it to be rejected and that would be that, but to my surprise it went through fine. I know an ESTA doesn't gaurentee entry but it was a good (and encouraging) first step for me.

My biggest worry and question is this - if I go to the US (I'm going to likely go through Dublin first just in case) would I then be stopped at the border on the fact that I already technically disclosed to Canada even though the application fizzled out due to time constraints? I'm likely being paranoid, but I am sure as many as you know in situations with a conviction it is hard at times to remain positive. Would the US know? I know it's a risk to go on the ESTA anyway, but have I ruined my chances and actually made it worse for myself? I spoke to Unlock over the phone a while back and they assured me that's not really how it works - and I don't have anything to worry about, but I am wanting a second opinion on here if possible.

To anyone that answers this in advance, thank you so much. This has been a worry of mine for a long time now, and I just want to go to the US and feel like I can actually do things with my life. It's an issue I really need to put to bed as it is making me unwell as I am that worried.

If the ETSA has been approved then all the law enforcement databases would presumably have been checked, so there shouldn't be any issues.
jumper1
jumper1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)Supreme Being (211 reputation)

Thanks. In regards to that, my ESTA was approved before Canada rejected my application. Surely they’d store it and then share it with the US for security purposes?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

jumper1 - 7 Oct 23 12:32 PM
Thanks. In regards to that, my ESTA was approved before Canada rejected my application. Surely they’d store it and then share it with the US for security purposes?

For security purposes? You're not a spy are you? Seriously, though, they share information on people who are involved in international organised crime, espionage or terrorism. No offence, but I don't think they'll be interested in you. Also, if they cancelled your ESTA, they would tell you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

jumper1
jumper1
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 10 Oct 23 8:58 AM

For security purposes? You're not a spy are you? Seriously, though, they share information on people who are involved in international organised crime, espionage or terrorism. No offence, but I don't think they'll be interested in you. Also, if they cancelled your ESTA, they would tell you.

Yeah I realise I am pretty paranoid about all of this. The past few years haven't done me any favours. If I get the courage to go I will update this thread and let you all know how it goes. I think I just need to keep telling myself I will be fine - because it's more than likely that I will be.

scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)

jumper1 - 13 Oct 23 2:25 AM
AB2014 - 10 Oct 23 8:58 AM

Yeah I realise I am pretty paranoid about all of this. The past few years haven't done me any favours. If I get the courage to go I will update this thread and let you all know how it goes. I think I just need to keep telling myself I will be fine - because it's more than likely that I will be.

scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)

jumper1 - 7 Oct 23 1:07 AM
Hey all.

Hi, hope you are well, I was on the SOR for five years, I eventually plucked up  the courage to apply for an ESTA which was successful.
I travelled via Dublin, once you are through Homeland Security you are officially in USA, better to do that than sitting on a plane for seven hours worrying what is going to happen at the other end. if your ESTA has been approved should be fine, if anything flagged up i'm sure Homeland Security would have cancelled your ESTA, enjoy your trip.
jumper1
jumper1
Supreme Being

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate you giving me some reassurance. I’m still very nervous about it at the moment, probably because I read lots about the border officers being quite strict at times and how you can be taken into a secondary questioning if they suspect you of anything. How was it when you went? Did they ask you much? Did you have issues when you landed or during the trip?
scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being

jumper1 - 22 Oct 23 3:08 PM
Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate you giving me some reassurance. I’m still very nervous about it at the moment, probably because I read lots about the border officers being quite strict at times and how you can be taken into a secondary questioning if they suspect you of anything. How was it when you went? Did they ask you much? Did you have issues when you landed or during the trip?

i had no problems at all, as I said if there were any problems with your application your ESTA would have been cancelled by now, they are not heavy handed with the questions, they understand that most folk are going on holiday, they might asked the reason for your visit, where you are staying and who with etc. if your Esta has been approved and your passport is in order everything will be fine.
i was with my wife ,she handed both passports over and before i knew it i was through and on my way.

GO