theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Foreign Travel

Foreign Travel

Author
GoingGood
Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
punter99 - 27 Apr 24 10:16 AM
GoingGood - 26 Apr 24 12:47 PM
This is all a very interesting read, so thank you for taking the time out to post your comments.
I was sentenced to 16 months in March 2015. I was released on licence in November 2015 and off licence in July 2016.
I have a 10 year SOPO placed from March 2015 and first signed the SOR in January 2015 when I pled guilty to my offences.

I ALWAYS comply with the requirements of the SOR and SOPO, so I made my foreign travel notification to the police.

I previously travelled to Spain, before the end of the Brexit Grace period, and when I got to Spain I was stopped at the e-gates and made to see a guard. A couple of the CNP (Border police) would then have a discussion and they would usually then politely ask me to complete a form. I am guessing some sort of notification had been placed on my passport? Interpol?

Anyway, I was always let in, but I thought that was likely to be because of the freedom of movement pre the final curtains on Brexit closing? Since that date, I have not attempted to enter Europe, spain etc.

Are you saying that there is no longer any flags placed when travelling to Europe or are you saying that there are but they let you in anyway, because you are not 'wanted' for any reason as a person of interest etc?

I still have about a year to go on my SOR and SOPO (separate forum question about confusing dates and timing!) but I was afraid to travel in case I got stopped or worse still, refused entry?! 

So my question is - anyone in the same boat (or plane!) travelled to Spain, still under a 10 year SOPO / SOR, recorded travel notification with Police and had any issues or not?

Thank you in advance

At the moment there are no checks being made in Europe, so you should not be refused entry. That might change later when ETIAS is introduced.

Thank you
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

GoingGood - 26 Apr 24 12:47 PM
This is all a very interesting read, so thank you for taking the time out to post your comments.
I was sentenced to 16 months in March 2015. I was released on licence in November 2015 and off licence in July 2016.
I have a 10 year SOPO placed from March 2015 and first signed the SOR in January 2015 when I pled guilty to my offences.

I ALWAYS comply with the requirements of the SOR and SOPO, so I made my foreign travel notification to the police.

I previously travelled to Spain, before the end of the Brexit Grace period, and when I got to Spain I was stopped at the e-gates and made to see a guard. A couple of the CNP (Border police) would then have a discussion and they would usually then politely ask me to complete a form. I am guessing some sort of notification had been placed on my passport? Interpol?

Anyway, I was always let in, but I thought that was likely to be because of the freedom of movement pre the final curtains on Brexit closing? Since that date, I have not attempted to enter Europe, spain etc.

Are you saying that there is no longer any flags placed when travelling to Europe or are you saying that there are but they let you in anyway, because you are not 'wanted' for any reason as a person of interest etc?

I still have about a year to go on my SOR and SOPO (separate forum question about confusing dates and timing!) but I was afraid to travel in case I got stopped or worse still, refused entry?! 

So my question is - anyone in the same boat (or plane!) travelled to Spain, still under a 10 year SOPO / SOR, recorded travel notification with Police and had any issues or not?

Thank you in advance

At the moment there are no checks being made in Europe, so you should not be refused entry. That might change later when ETIAS is introduced.
GoingGood
GoingGood
Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)Junior Member (24 reputation)

Thank you in advance
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

punter99 - 13 Jan 24 10:47 AM
Harry53 - 11 Jan 24 5:01 PM
iowian - 27 Nov 23 6:12 PM
iowian - 6 Nov 23 8:23 PM
scotboy - 6 Nov 23 7:43 PM
iowian - 4 Nov 23 10:25 PM
scotboy - 28 Oct 23 12:39 AM
iowian - 27 Oct 23 8:34 PM
scotboy - 22 Oct 23 11:44 PM
iowian - 21 Oct 23 9:08 PM
scotboy - 21 Oct 23 8:04 PM
iowian - 13 Oct 23 8:11 AM
Post SOR anyone with 2023 foreign holiday travel border entry experiences to share? Thank you

I had a couple of trips to Spain while on Sor, had no problems, that's when we were  in EU they would just wave you through.
i went to Greece recently and had no problems.

How recently were you in Greece Scotboy? Post Brexit and still notifying?
 I was in Greece last week, not notifying since 2019.

And finally Scotboy, we're you able to use the e - gates? 

No E-gate at Kos, no problems at  Kos  Passport Control,.......entered UK via E-gate at Glasgow, everything was fine.

Just completed a cross channel trip. All went well continental side. Passport scanned. Absolutely no problem. Returning to UK  no obvious problem. But was asked by the official, in a very friendly manner if I had travelled alone and enjoyed my trip. My first trip since coming off the register. I was the first one at the desk and was indeed travelling alone on what was virtually a shuttle trip. Am I being paranoid or was this just a regular interaction? Any thoughts?

Post SOR anyone with 2023 foreign holiday travel border entry experiences to share? Thank you

I had a couple of trips to Spain while on Sor, had no problems, that's when we were  in EU they would just wave you through.

No E-gate at Kos, no problems at  Kos  Passport Control,.......entered UK via E-gate at Glasgow, everything was fine.

Just completed a cross channel trip. All went well continental side. Passport scanned. Absolutely no problem. Returning to UK  no obvious problem. But was asked by the official, in a very friendly manner if I had travelled alone and enjoyed my trip. My first trip since coming off the register. I was the first one at the desk and was indeed travelling alone on what was virtually a shuttle trip. Am I being paranoid or was this just a regular interaction? Any thoughts?

Looks like all is well with you, was your shuttle trip a wee tester? The world is your oyster!!

It was a wee tester Scotboy. It is my intention to take a trip using e - gates very shortly. That should clear up any lingering doubts

Have recently returned from the continent. Post SOR notification. Had no problems entering/exiting  France via the border guard scan machine. Upon return to the UK was able to use e - gates. 

If on a SOR the passport carries a tag, says nothing but refers to the fact you may have a sexual record. I was questioned 2 years ago going in and out of Spain, which was embarrassing. Also in 2021 I was taken aside to the police room in Athens. I entered both countries no problem, otherwise.

Not quite. The passport doesn't contain any tag. The only notification would be on the computer system of the country you enter and it doesn't necessarily mention what the offence is, only that the person is "of interest". 

I know that, but it is still a tag. Some immigration officers ignore it (as they did for me in 2022 and 2023 in Vietnam) others, like in Spain or Greece,, in my experience take a long look and discuss with colleagues, before letting me in.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Harry53 - 11 Jan 24 5:01 PM

Looks like all is well with you, was your shuttle trip a wee tester? The world is your oyster!!

It was a wee tester Scotboy. It is my intention to take a trip using e - gates very shortly. That should clear up any lingering doubts

Have recently returned from the continent. Post SOR notification. Had no problems entering/exiting  France via the border guard scan machine. Upon return to the UK was able to use e - gates. 

If on a SOR the passport carries a tag, says nothing but refers to the fact you may have a sexual record. I was questioned 2 years ago going in and out of Spain, which was embarrassing. Also in 2021 I was taken aside to the police room in Athens. I entered both countries no problem, otherwise.

Not quite. The passport doesn't contain any tag. The only notification would be on the computer system of the country you enter and it doesn't necessarily mention what the offence is, only that the person is "of interest". 
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)Supreme Being (7.4K reputation)

LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being

punter99 - 6 Nov 23 10:20 AM
Sounds fairly normal. I've been stopped before, when I wasn't on the SOR, and asked about the reason for my journey. Did the e-gates work for you and were there any other checks, such as facial recognition, or fingerprints?

Hello punter99
There were no e-gates at the terminal. Just desk scan by border staff. No other checks were conducted.
Thanks for your reply

GO