theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Celebrity's with criminal records can enter Australia and other country's with ease

Celebrity's with criminal records can enter Australia and other...

Author
Boxer45
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Why is it one rule for normal people and one rule for celebrities!!?

My mate recently tried to get a visa to move to Australia but got turned down because he has been inside once,he served 6 months. Yet Gino de campo did a 2 year sentence for burglary, has been nicked for drug offences at an airport which was later dropped though.Got nicked for animal cruelty whilst being in Australia on the I'm a celebrity get me out of here. Truth is he properly has even more of a record than what the public know because when he got done for the burglary the reason they caught him was because they found his dna on a cigarette butt. They would only have his dna if he had been in trouble previously. Since the jungle program he has toured Australia promoting his book and other stuff. Why oh why is he allowed to do this yet normal every day people can't? He isn't the only one there's loads of celebrities they go where they like when they like!!
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Boxer45 - 28 Nov 23 9:09 AM

My mate recently tried to get a visa to move to Australia but got turned down because he has been inside once,he served 6 months. Yet Gino de campo did a 2 year sentence for burglary, has been nicked for drug offences at an airport which was later dropped though.Got nicked for animal cruelty whilst being in Australia on the I'm a celebrity get me out of here. Truth is he properly has even more of a record than what the public know because when he got done for the burglary the reason they caught him was because they found his dna on a cigarette butt. They would only have his dna if he had been in trouble previously. Since the jungle program he has toured Australia promoting his book and other stuff. Why oh why is he allowed to do this yet normal every day people can't? He isn't the only one there's loads of celebrities they go where they like when they like!!

https://unlock.org.uk/advice/travelling-australia/

Like a lot of things, it depends how you present your case and how good you are at selling yourself. There is no automatic ban for those with convictions. The authorities have discretion to let anybody in, but the worse your criminal history, the more evidence you would have to supply to demonstrate that you are a reformed character

Maybe Gino does a lot of good work for charity these days?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

punter99 - 28 Nov 23 10:39 AM

Like a lot of things, it depends how you present your case and how good you are at selling yourself. There is no automatic ban for those with convictions. The authorities have discretion to let anybody in, but the worse your criminal history, the more evidence you would have to supply to demonstrate that you are a reformed character

It's probably a different category of visa as well. There are plenty of celebs and other personalities who travel freely despite having had a conviction and maybe been to prison. Anyone close to my age might remember a massive fraud worth millions in the 1980s. One of the ringleaders actually got himself released from prison on spurious medical grounds, then his "pre-senility" condition suddenly got better.... Anyway, he was deported from the USA for not disclosing his conviction for a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude in an age before the Visa Waiver Scheme started, and they told him that if he applied for a business visa it would be granted, which it subsequently was. Different times, of course, but money talks or, in the words of a song, it screams.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Boxer45
Boxer45
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)Supreme Being (116 reputation)

My mate was in talks with an immigration lawyer,as soon as he told them he has been inside for 6 months they told him no chance and let him go. They said you will be wasting your money if we pursue this case. Other than the one prison sentence he has a clean record apart from one drink driving offence. 
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Boxer45 - 2 Dec 23 3:57 PM

My mate was in talks with an immigration lawyer,as soon as he told them he has been inside for 6 months they told him no chance and let him go. They said you will be wasting your money if we pursue this case. Other than the one prison sentence he has a clean record apart from one drink driving offence. 

You can't succeed if you don't try!  6 months is not even enough to make you ineligible, it has to be 12 months. Perhaps he should have asked a different lawyer and then maybe he would get a different opinion.
Boxer45
Boxer45
Supreme Being

punter99 - 4 Dec 23 10:14 AM
Boxer45 - 2 Dec 23 3:57 PM

You can't succeed if you don't try!  6 months is not even enough to make you ineligible, it has to be 12 months. Perhaps he should have asked a different lawyer and then maybe he would get a different opinion.
Very true mate
GO