theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Disclosing to the Job Centre with S.O

Disclosing to the Job Centre with S.O

Author
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JamesZ - 5 Mar 24 3:42 PM
Also do you know - There wouldn't be a penalty for not telling them when I first signed on would there?

I'm guessing not, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks

I would not write anything down on paper, just tell your work coach and you don't need to go into detail about the offence, just mention that you have restrictions on what work you can do.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

AB2014 - 5 Mar 24 4:12 PM
Also do you know - There wouldn't be a penalty for not telling them when I first signed on would there?

Thanks

There shouldn't be a penalty, and they should also find it helpful in a way if they know there are jobs that you're not allowed to do.

Thanks

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Thanks

There shouldn't be a penalty, and they should also find it helpful in a way if they know there are jobs that you're not allowed to do.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

Thanks
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

punter99 - 5 Mar 24 10:06 AM
JamesZ - 4 Mar 24 5:06 PM
xDanx - 4 Mar 24 3:28 PM
JamesZ - 4 Mar 24 1:54 PM
Does anyone have advice for disclosing to the Job Centre with an S.O. I haven't told them so far as I had a zero hours job and some self employment.

Also does anyone know if there is a penalty ( waiting time etc) if I were to sign off and see if I can survive, and then sign on again if needed?

Thanks

Over the last 6 years, I have had a number of different advisers. I have told every one of them about my conviction including the fact I had a SHPO. My current advisor has been great with me, very supportive in terms of what I could or could not do because of my SHPO.

If you are claiming UC, depending on the hours you work, the money you get from the job and self employment. You might still be entitled to some benefit. My understanding is if self employed, and you make less than £1000 with in the fiscal year (I think) then you do not have to declare earnings to HMRC. Providing of course your business is all registered.

If it is more of a side hustle all I can say really is, be careful.

Thanks. I've told them about both jobs, they are over £1000 a year. Im just a bit worried about disclosing the conviction.

Do you know if there is a penalty (waiting time) if I sign off and then want to sign on again?  Thanks.

There should not a penalty for signing off if you have a job, but you should declare all the work that you do to the jobcentre and depending on what you earn, it might still mean you are entitled to some benefits. If its a zero hours contract, you might neve really come off the benefit at all, its just that the amount you get will go up and down according to your earnings.

As for your conviction, the jobcentre needs to know if it is going to affect the kind of work you are going for. DBS checks for example might be an issue for some jobs.

Thanks. Is it best to write it in a letter and hand it to them?
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Does anyone have advice for disclosing to the Job Centre with an S.O. I haven't told them so far as I had a zero hours job and some self employment.

Also does anyone know if there is a penalty ( waiting time etc) if I were to sign off and see if I can survive, and then sign on again if needed?

Thanks

Over the last 6 years, I have had a number of different advisers. I have told every one of them about my conviction including the fact I had a SHPO. My current advisor has been great with me, very supportive in terms of what I could or could not do because of my SHPO.

If you are claiming UC, depending on the hours you work, the money you get from the job and self employment. You might still be entitled to some benefit. My understanding is if self employed, and you make less than £1000 with in the fiscal year (I think) then you do not have to declare earnings to HMRC. Providing of course your business is all registered.

Thanks. I've told them about both jobs, they are over £1000 a year. Im just a bit worried about disclosing the conviction.

Do you know if there is a penalty (waiting time) if I sign off and then want to sign on again?  Thanks.

There should not a penalty for signing off if you have a job, but you should declare all the work that you do to the jobcentre and depending on what you earn, it might still mean you are entitled to some benefits. If its a zero hours contract, you might neve really come off the benefit at all, its just that the amount you get will go up and down according to your earnings.

As for your conviction, the jobcentre needs to know if it is going to affect the kind of work you are going for. DBS checks for example might be an issue for some jobs.
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Thanks

I am really not to sure, I remember job seekers had a 6 month period where if things did not work out in that time with a job, you would be put straight back on to it with out any delay.
If UC (if that is what you are currently on) has a similar thing it might be alright but this is something you would have to ask your advisor. As for telling them of your conviction, I would imagine this is optional. If you are working, are looking into coming off benefits, then perhaps there really is no need to inform them.

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

Thanks

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Thanks

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

Thanks
GO