theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Job Vacancy - Services Coordinator - specifically for somebody with a conviction

Job Vacancy - Services Coordinator - specifically for somebody with a...

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Dear All,

I'm not wanting to get drawn on some of the elements of this conversation, but, if I may just clarify a couple of things, as well as add a few bits of advice from my perspective:

1. This job isn't to replace Chris B. As mentioned when Chris B left, we've restructured things. This vacancy will sit within the Helpline, which is what I manage, i.e. Services.

2. As always with job vacancies, you're looking for the best. How do you know that you're the best? You don't! All you can do is as yourself whether you fit the job description. If you think you do, then apply. What have you got to lose?

3. folie a deux - not sure when you applied (and didn't get a reply), but can only assume this was the last job vacancy we had (which, in this context, I'm embarassed to say I got!)? If so, as Southern Chap says, it's a sad fact that employers (certainly small charities like Unlock) rarely have the resources to respond to all applications. However, in reference to your community service of 2011, I'm not sure of who you are, but I recall an instance where this was inquired into. From memory, I asked the person to get Probation to contact us, but this didn't happen. Sadly, we can't do much in that situation. But, we have recently had talks with Kent Probation about how something like this would work. Our concern is that people may feel that being at our office is a punishment - not something we want!

4. To everybody that's reading this, if I can give some personal advice.

Five years ago, I was sat in my little room in a student flat up in Leeds. I regularly used the Unlock site, and one night, I happened to see a job vacancy. That was February 2007. I thought - "what have I got to lose". So, I applied. It was a rare opportunity that I just couldn't afford to turn a blind eye to. It was ideal in so many ways.

I'll never forget the long 4 hour drive from Leeds, setting off at 6am, and getting here about 2 hours early for my interview, sat in the car par across the road thinking "where the hell am I". On the drive back, I remember saying to my girlfriend - "I think I might have a chance at that - we've got some talking to do". I didn't get back until 10pm. That was one hell of a day. Then, a couple of days later, I found out I'd got the job.

I took the job. It wasn't easy. I had to move 240 miles, be away from my girlfriend for over 6 months (until she managed to find a job), I rented a room in a house (as I couldn't afford my own place). I did what was necessary.

Why? Because I knew it was such a great opportunity. At the time, the job that I took was very similar to the one we're advertising for now. In that scenario, I'm the new Chris B, and this job is for a new Chris S. That doesn't mean we're looking for exactly the same. I'm not the same as Chris B (I like to think I make decisions much quicker!). And this new person doesn't have to have a law degree and speak with a Yorkshire accent.

But, they do need to be good at the job. The risk with advertising this job as "for somebody with a conviction", it could suggest some tokenism. That's certainly not the case. First and foremost, the person needs to be good at the job.

If there is one point that I could get across, though, is how fantastic an opportunity it is. I could never have imagined coming straight out of University, and be doing the kinds of things I've done. The opportunities I've had, the people I've met, the projects I've been involved in, and the chances I've had to develop myself personally, I don't thing could have been matched elsewhere. Unlock is a tiny organisation, so all of these opportunities are often balanced with some of the more mundane elements to the job, having an office without central heating etc. And, if that's not for you, then don't bother applying. But, if you think you can do the job, thing you can bring something new and exciting to the charity, and are passionate and determined to help this charity continue to deliver excellent services for people with convictions, then what are you waiting for!

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Folie, I'm still not sure when you didn't hear a response back from Unlock? As I see the situation, we responded to you, but then Kent Probation didn't follow this up with us?

As for the application process, this won't be changing I'm afraid. It's not just the SAE (logistically that would be difficult anyway, as most applications are via email!). But, we've given a date to people which, if they've not heard back from us, they should assume they're not successful.

Yes, it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't be a major issue. For people who are genuinely interested in the job, it shouldn't put them off (I hope)

More broadly, I think one thing people on this forum often forget is that the forum is only a part (and a small part at that) of what Unlock does.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

Folie - I'm pleased we've clarified what happened in relation to probation.

In terms of you not receiving a response to your job application, this could only have been our vacancy from 5 years ago. We've checked this, and we didn't receive an application from you. If it's an application for the current vacancy, then the closing date hasn't passed yet. So, I'm still confused on that one?

As for updating the Forum about our site, that would cause unnecessary duplication I'm afraid, although we do post important information (like job vacancies etc) on here from time to time, but the main Unlock site has to be the place for the original content. So, members of the Forum should be encouraged to look at the main site. In addition, theRecord (and, more broadly, our e-updates) is something that all members should sign up to. That's our main communication tool.

Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

Hi All,

Really exciting news! For the first time in 5 years we have a paid job vacancy.

I won't repeat all the details here - they're on the website @ unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=121#current

It goes without saying that we encourage forum members to apply, as well any help in spreading the word to people that you know that might be interested!

Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

Possibly. Although, saying that, 5 years ago I moved 240 miles from Yorkshire to take this job!

Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

I'm surprised you couldn't tell I'm from Yorkshire when we spoke on the phone!

Obviously, everybody's circumstances are different, so it's not possible for everybody. But, I guess my point is that, if it's the right job, and somebody thinks they're the right person, they'll find a way to make it work. That's the most powerful sign of commitment. I'm really hopeful that we find somebody as passionate, determined and committed as we are. It's hard, because we can't afford huge salaries. But, then again, we're not in this work to become rich (trust me!)

Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

Numan hasn't applied.

We're interviewing today and Friday.

Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

Will be sending out an e-update when the new person starts.

GO