theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Have I just shot myself in the foot?

Have I just shot myself in the foot?

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Natwin

This is one of the frustrations that Unlock has about companies not making it really clear what type of criminal record checks they will be doing.

As you believed they would be doing a standard or enhanced DBS check, then you absolutely did the right thing. You didn't mention in your post what kind of reaction you received after your disclosure - was there anything to suggest that they may now have concerns about employing you?

Hopefully, they will appreciate your honesty but accept that as its spent and doesn't show up on a basic criminal record check they shouldn't take it into account.

Try not to beat yourself up about it - most of us in your position would have done exactly the same thing.

Let us know how you get on.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Natwin
Natwin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)

I believe that I have been accepted for the position, they said they would send out the contracts today and should be received tomorrow.

I do have to provide the supporting documentation in relation to the offence which I had already sent them after informing them.

It would seem that the PCI compliance checks are basic CRB & credit checks (my credit is fine) and references from my 2 most recent employers. I'm not sure if both will supply references but I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
Natwin
Natwin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)Supreme Being (916 reputation)

Have i shot myself in the foot?

I've recently been made redundant from my current position (at a business school) and have found the exact same position within a E-commerce company. The company did not mention any forms of CRB checks previous to me accepting the role but have just informed me now I'll need to fill out the form and return it with my contract on my start day.

It seems this is required for PCI reasons. I have a simple caution for misuse of a computer dated April 2015 that would not show up on a Basic check but would show up on a Standard and Enchanced check. I informed the company that I have this against my name and what the situation with this is. But now reading about PCI compliance I am concerned I have done the wrong thing as I *think* this only requires a Basic check which does not show spent cautions.

Have I just shot myself in the foot and told them something that I didn't need to? I suppose if nothing more, I could argue my honesty regarding it.
GO