theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Disclosing conviction for an MA course

Disclosing conviction for an MA course

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Nigel

I think that I'd agree with NACRO that both of these need to be disclosed if they're unspent.

Its likely that the University would consider them both to be relevant.

Feel free to give our Helpline a call if you want to have a chat about your application.

Good luck

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Not an expert, but from my experience with a similar offence, even an online image offence is considered by most people to fulfill the sexual nature requirement, even if you're no threat to anyone. On the other hand, offences against the person uses the same language as the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 which regulates things like GBH, ABH, physical stuff like that. But as I said, sadly most places put online image offences in the same category as more serious contact offences.

It's good to see a university ask only about "relevant" unspent convictions, rather than blanket all unspent convictions, although obviously that doesn't help if your offence is classed as relevant!
NigelV2
NigelV2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)Supreme Being (5.3K reputation)

I'm currently applying to study an MA course and reading the application form, there is the following:

I have a relevant criminal conviction that is not spent: Y/N

Convictions that are spent (as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) are not considered to be relevant and need not be disclosed. The definition of a
relevant conviction is one for offences against the person, whether of a violent or sexual nature, or for offences involving unlawfully supplying controlled drugs or
substances where the conviction concerns commercial drug dealing or trafficking. Such a disclosure does not automatically exclude you from the application
process but the University reserves the right to ask for further information about the conviction.

My understanding of this would be that I would only have to disclose a harassment offence as the other was an internet based image offence. Although talking to NACRO about a draft I was preparing for employment type disclosure, they said I would have to declare everything as it wasn't spent.

I'm just wondering if I've misread it or perhaps the person at NACRO isn't a fan of 'my sort'.
GO