theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Companies Who Employ Ex-Offenders

Companies Who Employ Ex-Offenders

Author
Moostrasse
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have contacted him via "his people" via his Virgin Unite website, whereby people can request him as a public speaker. And dumped the responsibility onto UNLOCK themselves. But I do think it is worth a page or two in The Record, even if we hear nothing. Maybe in the summer...
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

UNLOCK is an association for reforming and reformed offenders. We are currently running a project on our online forum regarding employing reforming offenders. We are not holding an event as such, we are requesting if we could interview Mr Branson regarding his thoughts around employing reforming offenders to reduce the re-offending rate in Britain. This interview would be placed in our monthly edition of The Record. Regarding social enterprise schemes that are currently in place, we, as an association encourage reforming offenders, (reforming by way, of accepting their crime and attempting to move on in life), to overcome barriers in all areas of their lives and to move forward from their crimes and onto a brighter future. Securing employment is part of the moving-on process and with the current employers who share these thoughts, it is reducing re-offending.

UNLOCK as a charity continually assist reforming offenders in their journey from sentencing to rehabilitation and onwards. UNLOCK offer free help to reforming offenders in all areas of life, insurance policies, all areas of finance, travel issues and general help in moving on, regardless of their crimes. The biggest barrier by far for reforming offenders, is employment and there are daily questions on UNLOCK forums regarding disclosure and criminal record checking. There are almost 9 million people in the UK who have criminal convictions, this forms a large section of the population who at some point in their lives will face discrimination in one way or another. With increasing exemption from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974 by many companies, there are people who are struggling to find employment, even when convictions are spent.

I can be emailed on the above address and we are happy to have only 20 minutes of Mr Branson's time if this would be something he would consider. I attach a copy of The Record for your perusal and you are welcome to contact UNLOCK directly. All contact details for UNLOCK are on the home page of this link: https://www.unlock.org.uk/staticpage.aspx?pid=149&utm_source=The+Record&utm_campaign=b6584fffd1-theRecord+July+2012&utm_medium=email
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

I see what you're saying Chris...  I'll copy the links to my computer and put together something, then email you directly with it.  How's that? 

Also, I am thinking CV writing skills, sample letters for the purposes of explaining convictions in a professional unemotional manner.   

Christopher Stacey said...
I've made this thread sticky. Feel free to set up a separate one for 'Organisations helping'....

Because of the nature of any forum, I think it's important we 'drag' the useful links posted on here into something that is free of chat/discussion. Any takers for producing an Info Hub document/page?

As for Richard Branson / theRecord - feel free. Erica has recently moved on from theRecord, but we've got a very impressive [interim] replacement, Haj, still to be reached at the same email.

Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

The Fire Service is not exempt from the ROA of 1974.

"Any unspent convictions will be considered on an individual basis, taking into account the circumstances surrounding the offence. If you have a conviction which is now considered spent, this does not have to be declared."

Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

GasGasGas said...

Moostrasse said...
So are you going to come back and let us know how you get on, GGG?
Sorry, missed the notification.  Glad to see this thread is taking off.

Email has been sent, awaiting reply.  I asked them if they knew of any other organisations offering the services they provide (named my region, but asked for any), for inclusion in a new info hub page here.

Hi GGG,

Fabulous.  Fingers are crossed they may know someone and brilliant on asking them for other organisations for the hub here.  Are you able to put together something for the hub page?  As per Chris's suggestion?  I am trying, but work keeps getting in the way.  Grrr. 
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

https://www.shaw-trust.org.uk/partnership_opportunities

Found this. Thanks Aspire.
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

Perfect!  Chris & Moderator...  Can you do your stuff...

GasGasGas said...
Well I can't edit the hub, but how about we collate the info in the following format for Unlock to update when they have time-

New additions are bolded-

General Employers

Timpsons
Marks & Spencer
Virgin Group
Pets at Home
National Grid
Compass Group UK and Ireland
Reed
Iceland Foods

Greggs

Specific Employers

Blue Sky Development

Useful Links

Employers Forum for Reducing Reoffending

Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

If I am reading this correctly, you are asking if there is a breakdown of ex-offenders who are employed and the crimes they have committed?  Not on here, there isn't. 

complex said...
Hi there Penelope lol who is mr p?I have been here for a while just as a guest it is an interesting forum but is there a breakdown somewhere of the ex offenders employed and there crimes?

Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

I would definitely imagine that Timpson's HR team would have all of this in hand. Considering they have a prison programme, then between them and the prison, there will be some arrangement on the handling of their data. Which aligns with what GGG was asking.
Moostrasse
Moostrasse
Supreme Being

Well, complex. You could call them up and ask them yourself. Look at Blue Sky, they take all offenders. The link is on the thread.
GO