theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Distance learning

Distance learning

Author
FCUnited
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)Supreme Being (492 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I do the open University and love it. No declarations are needed, even though tutorials and dayschools are in use.
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi Runner83

I've attached a link to our Information Hub page on funding for education - hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/funding-opportunities-2/ which sets out details of Student Loans and the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan which you may find of interest.

You could also consider applying to local universities. Again, your fees could be paid via a Student Loan and you may be eligible for some kind of additional discretionary learner grant to help with day to day expenses.

It might also be useful to have a chat with the JobCentre to see what funding (if any) they have available.

Good luck

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi

The AAT do DBS checks but they consider any caution/conviction on a case by case basis. They will look at how relevant the conviction is, how long ago it took place and the sentence that you received.

Before you spend any money enrolling at a college or on a distance learning course, I would suggest that you contact the AAT and have a general discussion with them about your chances of registering with them. Their details are -
Telephone number 0845 863 0802
Website - www.aat.org.uk

Once you know that you would have no trouble registering, then you can go ahead and look for a suitable course.

If you would like any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact the Unlock Helpline either by email - advice@unlock.org.uk or telephone 01634 247350 (press 1).

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
AW83
AW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)

Thanks for the reply for and for providing the contact info.

I am a little disappointed to not even be able to study without disclosure I could understand once passed I could try emailing them I suppose but failing that might have to wait until it is spent only 22 months to go yay if the new ROA ever comes in.
AW83
AW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)Supreme Being (5.4K reputation)

Thanks I may look into open at a later date I am probably looking at a AAT course for now but I am not sure if they do DBS checks as you are required to have a membership even to be a student.
AW83
AW83
Supreme Being

Hi due to my current predicament of not really having much in the way of prospects and really just going where the wind takes me so to speak I am looking to get into a career or at least improving my chances of going up in the pay grades/getting a permanent role for when I am spent (2.5 years away with the ROA reform)

I was looking into IT Field support/Network support, help desk support (prefer hands on than coding all day) or business admin.

I am not really looking for a degree at the moment until I have a more secure job so no OU for me (currently doing helpdesk non IT work on a temp basis) a few questions for the IT guys/girls on the board if I went into field support support what are the chances you would have to be enhanced checked is this a normal thing for field support thinking of companies that provide services for NHS and schools, what kind of qualifications are best recognised for these IT roles seems to be a minefield and every job site seems to have their preferred qualifications.

The admin stuff I am not sure about yet as I not sure what area would interest me.

Could anyone recommend any sites for doing distance/online learning.

Thanks
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Thanks I find it hilarious though that am easily monitored open system such as that, that requires no direct contact needs a declaration yet I can do other distance learning just fine.
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Problem is Unlock is a charity they rely on funding and support from government "that" offence generally wins you no votes so they are not going to openly help, they may do behind closed doors but they dont want to face the wrath of the media thats why they removed the separate forums and mod any posts relating to "that" type of offence.

All I will say is there are plenty of alternatives out there you may have to look at other courses but there is plenty of e-learning sites now that dont do checks they arent interested all they are bothered about is you give them ££.

Try not to let it grind you down just look for the bits of life you can change sometimes its a bit of a chicken and egg thing though cant do one without doing the other first.
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being

Yeah perhaps obviously at the moment you still need to work on things for yourself I mean look how it took to change the ROA any changes to those offences are gonna be political suicide people will happily agree to new laws when a child gets murdered its not so easy to change it back again any of the English speaking countries wont ease up unless the EU forces it which if we come out of Europe I dread to think what they will bring in.
oliviathomas
oliviathomas
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

thanks DBs for your suggestions.
GO