theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

UCAS Help

UCAS Help

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bryan,

It's worth taking a look at the page we have on the Information Hub on the main site which links to a useful document on University Admissions. See www.unlock.org.uk/xoffenders.aspx?sid=178#university/

I wish I could remember what the situation was when I applied to University. I didn't have convictions at the time. When I did (during my 2nd year) they were again fine with it, but made it clear it would be difficult for me to practice. When I applied to do my Masters, my convictions were still unspent, so I had to disclose them (I therefore can't remember whey they just asked for unspent or for all - again, it didn't really matter to them. They were fine with them. That tends to be what you find with Universities.

It's interesting that on the above page, the document we link to mentions law in section 5.1. Certainly, courses that have placements (often Health and Social care, etc), and those which result in Admission to a profession (as it states in the document, although I can't think of a course that is like this), then clearly they'd be able to ask for spent convictions.

However, from my understanding of a law course, I would think that the questions should only relate to unspent convictions, because they tend not to involve placements, and an LLB doesn't give you admission into the legal profession - it simply exempts you from one element of the process - you would still have to go through the process of disclosing all convictions).

Have you actually asked any possible Uni's what their questions are? That would be the first thing I'd be doing I think. I'd be interested to know the response.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Interestingly, if you get past the LPC (i.e. get regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, which is of course a big "if" in itself), individual solicitors are only entitled to know about spent convictions (if they even ask about them at all) as it is only the professional body (not individual employers) that are exempt from the ROA within the legal profession!

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
AJH
AJH
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

Hi Bonbon - I suspect that if you wanted to do the LPC (Legal Practice Course) or the Bar entrance exam it might have been an issue, but just to do an LLB I can't see why a CRB would be required.

On the whole Universities are pretty good with people with convictions.
Anonymous
Anonymous

For what it’s worth Bryan, I started my Uni studies with the OU in prison. During the final year of my sentence I was on day release to a ‘brick’ Uni, so obviously they knew and were quite happy with it. On release I carried on at the same Uni to get my first degree. That was in Sociology. I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem with Universities and any problems have arisen when it came to employment. I then did a Masters in Criminology and tried the professions with zero results. The Criminology degree did carry a large element of criminal law, but it was the CRB checks that everyone wanted that stopped any further progression.

Your grammar will let you down for entry, unless you’re diagnosed dyslexic or there is some other medical reason. Your local college will do the 18 month preparation for Uni entry, (I’ve forgotten the name of the course), which should bring you up to scratch. If you’re a mature student, over 21, you don’t need formal qualifications. You’ll make loads of friends of your own age group; every Uni has its own mature student’s association and somewhere along the way your education will come in handy, if not when you’ve finished, then later. Just don’t expect education to provide you with an immediate job on completion – the CRB and degree’s don’t always see eye to eye! Having said that, I’ve yet to meet someone who says their degree was a waste of time and they’d rather not have done one.

With all due respect

Regards

Marmite

Newton
Newton
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)Supreme Being (6.7K reputation)

Hi Bryan

Mrs. Newton here - hubby thought I may be able to help.

I taught in a local further education college for years and years!!!! I think the course IanC was talking about is an Access course. This course is designed for adults students (usually over 21 or 25) who for some reason or another do not have formal 'school' qualifications (A' levels or GCSE's). Usually they are a one year full time course or two year part time course. There are varying courses on offer and they also vary from one college to the next so you will have to look them up to find one that will fit your requirements. If you have a particular problem with grammar then you should perhaps think of doing an adult literacy course before you embark on the Access course. It's not as bad as it sounds and usually free! on the Access course you accumulate 'points' for each unit you take and universities will expect you to get a minimum number of points in order to gain entry. There is also, usually, a computing, maths and study skills component. It is great preparation for university and I would strongly recommend this course if you do not have the other qualifications.

I did an Access course myself many many years ago and landed up teaching - which I still do from time to time as I am semi retired. I didn't retire too long ago (only last year) so am still fairly up-to-date. I then taught on the Access course myself for many years.

If I can be of any help to you please do not hesitate to get in touch and I will answer as many of your questions that I can. I will even look into colleges that may offer this type of course if you can give me a broad location of where you may want to study and maybe help you in that aspect.

All the very best - GO FOR IT!!!!!!
Invictus
Invictus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)Supreme Being (4.1K reputation)

I have looked at open university, and some of their courses, there is an option for self funding, however when I complete the eligibility calculator it advises of £1,230 funding. I dont mind this but the Degree course ammounts to more.

You guys sound like you are further down the line then myself, please can you advise me on how the funding works? as I was unable to obtain any further information from their site.

I may be interested in taking the psychology BCs (Honours) Looking at my local university the degree cost is about £3750.00 not sure how this works.

I will give them a call when I get time away from work. but at the moment 10 hours a day, an hours travel each side dont have much time.

Cheers peeps.

Inv.
Tough
Tough
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

When i applied to uni they were only interested in unspent offences and never requested any crb checks.I would ask chris stacy, he is your best bet to ask because i beleive he has studied law Smile
Tough
Tough
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

I did electrical engineering which is totally different to law ??
Bryan
Bryan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

I'm thinking of going to a 'brick' uni to study Law. Now, do I need to declare convictions since it will only be a degree?

Surely just to study the subject only a Basic could be done?

After all I do Law via the OU and no check was required!

Plan: Get the English LLB then do the 2 years graduate entry for the Scottish LLB. As I have the advantage of a clear Basic in the near future I think I stand a good chance of a decent job. My head in the clouds here?

I will be around 34 on getting the above two. Would also love to get the Msc in Forensic Psychology and Criminology.

Have no idea what job to aim for. I also don't want to cut out jobs as over qualified!! Danger I think of education, could in turn cut jobs out.

Need direction and have no idea. Something needs to change or I will be in a early grave!

My grammar is borderline I was told which holds me back in a way. School was a bad time due to various issues.

Post Edited (Bryan) : 13/09/2011 20:12:03 (GMT+1)

Bryan
Bryan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

What did you do? Chris do you know the answer?
GO