theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Chris Stacey on the telly!

Chris Stacey on the telly!

Author
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Former offender, one has to love the wording guess something to be proud off regardless Smile

Its good to see it on TV none the less.

Sadly I agree with The Stig, any company running a standard/enhanced check on you reveals spent or unspent or anything..... making ROA 100% pointless

The basic point of ROA or help is to allow people to get a job and live and work again and the dbs is in breach of this, early days but a small step in the right direction.
simon
simon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)

i listened to you on 693 in the van chris, you did a good job of dealing with the woman's questions.

she is very good at questioning people and some people find her hard to deal with.

well done matey
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Yes the Unlock Helpline was delighted to see that Chris has been out there talking about the changes to the ROA. He also did an interview with Radio Five Live this morning which has resulted in phone calls to the Helpline from people who hadn't even realised that changes were going ahead.

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350 (Press 1)
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, 35a High Street, Snodland, Kent, ME6 5AG

Find online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
The Stig
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

Yea but too much exposure opens cans of worms to the media. Even though my ROA is coming to an end some time this year or next i don't think the changes have made much difference in my opinion. There are just to much CRB checks going on and even though your conviction will become spent employers still want to find your past out.

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?
aim
aim
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I was watching BBC breakfast this morning and Chris Stacey was being interviewed about the changes to the ROA which came into effect today.

I managed to take a picture which is attached.

I was wondering this morning when I started to watch the news why there was no mention of the change to the ROA so it was great to see Chris on the telly. He came across very well.

The interview did highlight that it is the offence that employers are concerned with rather than the disposal. The ROA is concerned with the disposal. The trouble with looking at the offence rather than the sentence is that it becomes an entirely subjective exercise and that will always result in a decision to employ or not based upon on our own biases.

But great to have this issue on the morning news slot.

PS - Chris - shame they asked you to disclose your conviction to the nation on the day your conviction is spent ;->
aim
aim
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I am not surprised not many people are aware as it hasn't been prominent on the news agenda. Great to see Unlock getting some major exposure.
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Thanks for posting the picture aim. Looks like I was gob-smacked at something the presenters had said!

And yes, the media exposure is great for Unlock, and in raising awareness. For me personally, it's a difficult one, and it's the reason why I'm really protective when asked by the media to 'put up a case study'.

For me, today was for the greater good. Like many others have said, it'll make a big difference to thousands. But, it's far from perfect!

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO