theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Author
Tom77
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Why are you concerned with the sharing of information?

The EU will only be concerned with people with convictions in the past 10 years.

If this doesn’t apply to you, they may still see your criminal history but if it is older than 10 years, it will be irrelevant to them and you’re of no concern.

It won’t effect your ability to travel to the EU if you’re able to answer honestly to the ETIAS questions.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Square - 13 Jan 19 11:36 AM
My company has just been purchased by a European company... I may be required to travel overseas in future. It's not good, but I will deal with that if the need arises. 

The 10-year rule seems sensible, and hopefully that threshold will pass (for me) by the time the visa is implemented.  For me, however, one of the biggest concern is the sharing of information post-brexit. Many of the rules we have been bound by (and included with) will no longer be relevant. I would like to know some facts about how Europe would be required to protect data and not share with companies such as the US. I am also concerned that when our country descends into chaos, we may strike-up data sharing agreements with countries such as the US.

It depresses me, but to be fair - there is little we can do about it. I hear Brighton is lovely in the summer Smile

Well, the EU will still be bound by their own directives, including GDPR, so you should have nothing to fear from them. I'm not sure the US would be interested in processing all that data for very little benefit, and we certainly wouldn't have the resources to process all theirs.

As for descending into chaos, due to austerity, the government has been unable to source funding for a big enough handcart, and the cabinet are still arguing over the future relationship with hell and the implementation period.

I'm sure Brighton is lovely throughout the year, although I've only ever been there in February and August.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Just a quick update for those subject to notification requirements. Sajid Javid has written to the EU to indicate how they plan to deal with the loss of access to SISII in the event of a no deal brexit. They will still issue alerts but they will be through the Interpol green notice system.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

tedstriker - 20 Feb 19 10:39 AM
Just a quick update for those subject to notification requirements. Sajid Javid has written to the EU to indicate how they plan to deal with the loss of access to SISII in the event of a no deal brexit. They will still issue alerts but they will be through the Interpol green notice system.

Thanks for this.

I hope that green notices will also be deleted once no longer relevant, like SISII alerts are.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)

That's bad news. At present, I can travel anywhere outside the EU without a problem (US excepted) as the PPU do a risk assessment before issuing a green notice, which means for anyone low risk (like myself) no notice is issued.

If we leave with no deal and this approach is taken, it means a green notice whenever you travel to Europe which will then flag up on all the other countries databases outside the EU (depending how much effort they make to update their systems with interpol notices)
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Yankee - 20 Feb 19 6:52 PM

That's bad news. At present, I can travel anywhere outside the EU without a problem (US excepted) as the PPU do a risk assessment before issuing a green notice, which means for anyone low risk (like myself) no notice is issued.

If we leave with no deal and this approach is taken, it means a green notice whenever you travel to Europe which will then flag up on all the other countries databases outside the EU (depending how much effort they make to update their systems with interpol notices)

Yes that would be very bad indeed.
tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Just for full clarity I'll include the quote from Javid's letter:

"... I can reassure you that our operational agencies are making preperations to ensure UK-issued information which woul today go out through SIS II will be issued via Interpol channels."

This isn't clear (probably quite intentionally) on which information would be sent this way but it does give an idea to the government's leaning.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Does this mean that RSOs will have a de facto international travel ban?

What about people who in future are no longer on the SOR but were on it post-Brexit and notified foreign travel which went through Interpol? Would the green notice be removed automatically once the time on the SOR is over, like SISII alerts currently are?
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)

BenS - 22 Feb 19 8:21 PM
Does this mean that RSOs will have a de facto international travel ban?What about people who in future are no longer on the SOR but were on it post-Brexit and notified foreign travel which went through Interpol? Would the green notice be removed automatically once the time on the SOR is over, like SISII alerts currently are?

It also raises the question whether a risk based approach will continue to be applied - all notifications are recorded on SISII as there is no incentive for the PPU's to not do so. We have the right to travel in the EU and they are just alerts for discreet checks so they won't take any time to risk assess. Interpol is different - it takes more time and resources hence the risk based approach and only issuing green notices for higher risk cases.

If that were to change and notices are issued by default, we would end up with a de facto travel ban. I suspect that could be challenged through the courts (e.g. restriction of trade, human rights,...) although would take an extremely long time.

Given all the uncertainty around Brexit, however, I wouldn't be losing sleep about this at the moment - still way too many scenarios to unfold before we get to the worse case scenario

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

Yankee - 24 Feb 19 10:27 AM
BenS - 22 Feb 19 8:21 PM
Does this mean that RSOs will have a de facto international travel ban?What about people who in future are no longer on the SOR but were on it post-Brexit and notified foreign travel which went through Interpol? Would the green notice be removed automatically once the time on the SOR is over, like SISII alerts currently are?

It also raises the question whether a risk based approach will continue to be applied - all notifications are recorded on SISII as there is no incentive for the PPU's to not do so. We have the right to travel in the EU and they are just alerts for discreet checks so they won't take any time to risk assess. Interpol is different - it takes more time and resources hence the risk based approach and only issuing green notices for higher risk cases.

If that were to change and notices are issued by default, we would end up with a de facto travel ban. I suspect that could be challenged through the courts (e.g. restriction of trade, human rights,...) although would take an extremely long time.

Given all the uncertainty around Brexit, however, I wouldn't be losing sleep about this at the moment - still way too many scenarios to unfold before we get to the worse case scenario

Sadly, I'm not sure the courts would strike down a de facto travel ban on the grounds of human rights. Don't forget the other Supreme Court case, where the court upheld the police's right to disclose that someone had been acquitted of a sexual offence, as safeguarding the public is more important than an individual's human rights. Something like "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." Maybe a Star Trek fan can confirm or correct the quotation, but life is resembling art again. Sad

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO