theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
iowian - 17 Dec 22 8:26 PM
Yankee - 21 Feb 18 8:48 PM
BenS - 20 Feb 18 2:54 PM
AB2014 - 20 Feb 18 12:31 PM

When you notify your passport number to the police, they then put that number onto the Schengen system, with a note that you are on the SOR. That is part of their standard procedures. The relevant question is do they remove that information once you come off the SOR? In fact, are they able to remove the information?

This is interesting seeing as the vast majority of EU countries do not have an SOR.

If, when I come off the SOR, I am still subjected to detailed checks due to my passport obviously raising a flag when arriving at foreign passport control, I will probably get a new passport, even if there are several years before the current one expires. Maybe I'll also travel with a basic DBS check on myself to show no criminal record.

There are other threads on the forum where people have confirmed that once they are off the SOR, their passport no longer flags up.

Where were these threads Yankee?

BenS and Yankee have not logged in in 2022.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Looks like ETIAS is delayed again. Keep it coming!

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-postpones-launch-of-etias-to-2024

marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

tedstriker - 24 Feb 23 1:48 PM
Looks like ETIAS is delayed again. Keep it coming!

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-postpones-launch-of-etias-to-2024

Farcical.

Id like to book something for Europe mid 2024 but how can you with no certainty?

At least in 2024 I'll be 9 years since my conviction so if they ever bring it in it will be a long time since
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)Supreme Being (55K reputation)

They are most likely waiting for the EES computer system to be set up first. This is the biometric fingerprint checker. It was due to come in this summer, but was delayed until November. Once that is operating, then ETIAS will follow.
tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Looks like further delays to ETIAS which could be good news for some of us:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/no-etias-wont-become-operational-in-2024-eu-sources-say/

Based on my notes those 'leaks' would create the following dates:

Operational May 2025

Compulsory November 2025 or May 2026

Single entry maybe November 2026 or May 2027

Sid
Sid
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

What's the score with travelling to Spain at the moment with the current delays in ETIAS etc? Are we freely able to travel, albeit in a different queue now?

Just annoyed all my family by saying I don't want to go to Spain next May for a family birthday in case I get stopped at passport control and thrown on the next flight back! My sentence finished in March 2015.
LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Sid - 27 Dec 23 1:41 PM
What's the score with travelling to Spain at the moment with the current delays in ETIAS etc? Are we freely able to travel, albeit in a different queue now?

Just annoyed all my family by saying I don't want to go to Spain next May for a family birthday in case I get stopped at passport control and thrown on the next flight back! My sentence finished in March 2015.

Have you been or are you still subject to notification requirements?

Sid
Sid
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

iowian - 28 Dec 23 2:57 AM
Sid - 27 Dec 23 1:41 PM

Have you been or are you still subject to notification requirements?

In the past yes, all ended in March 2015.

Cheers

marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

With this looking likely for 2025, does anyone have any thoughts on how it may look?

I spent a lot of time in Europe so concerned it could have some sort of impact

My conviction (2 years suspended) was for fraud in 2015 (so 9 years past and 3 years spent) and not sure on the likelihood I will still be able to travel to Europe
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)Supreme Being (162K reputation)

marcovanba - 16 Mar 24 10:08 PM
With this looking likely for 2025, does anyone have any thoughts on how it may look?

I spent a lot of time in Europe so concerned it could have some sort of impact

My conviction (2 years suspended) was for fraud in 2015 (so 9 years past and 3 years spent) and not sure on the likelihood I will still be able to travel to Europe

The UK does not share criminal record info with any other countries or the EU (which isn't a country, obviously). There is no link between your UK passport and your criminal record, and any information put on the Schengen Information System by the UK police was removed as a part of Brexit (not relevant to you but maybe relevant to others). So, if you choose not to disclose, they won't know, but if you travel without disclosing under ETIAS, if you ever need a Schengen visa, you will need a police certificate, which will show your record, and they would then see that you had travelled without disclosing at a time when you should have disclosed, which would give them a decision to make. For now, though, until ETIAS starts, you do not need to disclose.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO