theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Post Brexit- impact on travelling to Europe

Author
rme123
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Square - 12 Jul 18 7:21 PM
I'm thinking that this all sounds pretty negative - 5.11, 5.12, 5.13 all pretty much points to a desire to keep the existing sharing systems but with none of the requirements to freedom of movement.

Get your European holidays in sooner rather than later people!

Hypothetical question based on my own circumstances, the answer to which may actually benefit fellow forum members:

I'm a UK citizen, but hold and Irish passport (for context, I have a spent conviction for an SO). Do you think it will be easier to travel seeing as I have a passport from an EU member state? If so, I wonder whether changing passports might be an option for some forum members (I'm sure some of you have parents or grandparents from EU member countries)
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

rme123 - 12 Jul 18 8:51 PM
Square - 12 Jul 18 7:21 PM
I'm thinking that this all sounds pretty negative - 5.11, 5.12, 5.13 all pretty much points to a desire to keep the existing sharing systems but with none of the requirements to freedom of movement.

Get your European holidays in sooner rather than later people!

Hypothetical question based on my own circumstances, the answer to which may actually benefit fellow forum members:

I'm a UK citizen, but hold and Irish passport (for context, I have a spent conviction for an SO). Do you think it will be easier to travel seeing as I have a passport from an EU member state? If so, I wonder whether changing passports might be an option for some forum members (I'm sure some of you have parents or grandparents from EU member countries)

If you have the right to live in the UK and have an Irish Passport you would be permitted to travel to EU member states as normal.

Applying for a passport based on parentage is not as straight forward as people think. If you have a significant offence, there is a chance that the application will be denied.... I've checked!
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

If you have an Irish passport then you can live and travel freely around the EU and would not need ETIAS if such a system is implemented in future. Irish citizens also have unconditional right of abode in the UK and have exactly the same rights as UK citizens, separately from the EU freedoms (British citizens have the same rights in Ireland - the only difference being British citizens cannot vote in Irish presidential elections or referendums, whereas Irish citizens can vote in all UK elections). This mutual freedom dates back to a 1922 agreement and is unrelated to the EU.

As I've pointed out on a couple of other threads (or maybe earlier on this one), an EU citizen cannot be denied entry into another EU country due to having a criminal conviction. The reasons for denying EU citizens entry to foreign EU countries are incredibly limited, basically if there is suspicion that you will commit a terrorist offence or if you have a serious communicable disease that is on the list of diseases qualifying for barring entry.

As far as I'm aware (though I could be wrong), if you are eligible for citizenship of another country by descent, it is usually an unconditional right, and convictions don't come into it. Maybe certain countries have exceptions, but in general a right to citizenship based on your parents' nationality is unconditional and has nothing to do with convictions or anything else. The only restriction is if either your current country of citizenship or your prospective one has limitations on dual nationality, but this does not apply to the UK (or Ireland). It's if you apply for naturlisation (e.g. by living in a country for a certain period of time, or by marrying a citizen of that country) that the country concerned may include good conduct as a prerequisite for granting citizenship.

I know for a fact that Ireland has nothing about convictions when getting citizenship by descent, as my wife has done just this by virtue of a grandparent born in Ireland.
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenS
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)Supreme Being (59K reputation)

tedstriker - 12 Jul 18 2:24 PM
Not great news in the Brexit White Paper today. Very little info apart from immigration for tourism.

"The UK therefore proposes reciprocal visa-free travel arrangements to enable UKand EU citizens to continue to travel freely for tourism in the future, maintaining theclose links between the people of the UK and the EU."
Good news

"The UK already has existing arrangements with low-risk, non-EU countries that enable smooth access at the border, such as the Registered Traveller Scheme in place with a number of countries like the US and Japan. The UK wants to agree reciprocal arrangements with the EU that ensure smooth passage for UK nationals when they travel to the EU, for example on business or on holiday. The UK will strengthen the security of its borders, which should include exploring whether to apply the electronic travel authorities proposed for third country nationals to each other’s nationals, and ensuring travel documents meet minimum security standards.But at the border, as now, tourists and business visitors should not routinely have to face questions about the purpose of their visit. The UK also wants to minimise administrative burdens for those seeking permission to travel, enter or reside in each other’s territories, including short, simple and user-friendly application processes."  

Bad news - Suggests they will mirror the EU's ETIAS arrangements which i'm sure we were all hoping wouldn't apply to UK citizens. Doesn't seem to be any appetite for negotiating an exclusion.

I would suggest the best hope now is the EU reaffirm the four freedoms are non-divisible and we're told we either take the full package (including FoM) or nothing.

I suspect this will all come down to the definition of 'serious criminal offences' or 'good character' and how EU immigration policy evolves.  The positive is that the EU has been far more lax/liberal previously than the UK and far less intrusive. The negative is that similar authorisation schemes elsewhere seem to define 'serious' in relation to the sentence not the offence, with 12 months custodial often the cut off.

Regardless of the above, I suspect anyone who has to notify travel will have a bigger challenge - if we remain part of the security framework, details will be on SISII by way of alerts.  The definition of the alert (even for the discreet check) is someone where:

• there is a clear indication that a person intends to commit or is committing a serious criminal offence or
  • they assess a person, in particular regarding their past criminal offences, and believe that the person will commit serious criminal offences in the future.
Unfortunately, UK police do not undertake any form of individual risk assessment for ViSOR nominals (still issue the alert even when someone low risk and no threat...).

We're in for an interesting ride...

tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

The EU definition of 'serious crime' is quite specific and is set out in their documents (I don't have time to find the passage currently). Essentially it is the usual list of offences where the maximum punishment in the issuing state is not less than 3 years. Based on sentencing guidelines that includes anyone with a sexual offence.
Tom77
Tom77
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)

Hi there,
Let me first explain my position.  I recieved a caution for a SO 12 years ago.

Like many people, I have been reading with interest and scaring myself with the repercussions of this with regards to travel, specifically to the US as I anticipate happening at some point in the future with my family who are all unaware of events 12 years ago.
However since Brexit, Im now aware that potential issues with travelling to the US are the least of my worries, as I have a family holiday booked to Europe in August 2019 and I now may face issues with trying to travel here too.

I appreciate that Brexit negotiations are changing daily, and no one really knows the outcome of how easy it will be for people with criminal records to travel to the EU, however, based on the news reports and research I have so far concluded a few possible scenarios.

1)  The ETIAS doesnt come into effect until 2020, and I understand that this will only ask of any "serious convictions in the past 20 years". I hope that I can confidently answer no to this as my caution is not a conviction?
2)  If we leave the EU in March 2019 with a deal, then I understand that current arrangements for freedom of movement will remain during the 2 year transition period?  After which we will possibly fall into the ETIAS application?
3)  If we leave the EU in March 2019 without a deal, then there may be a requirement for British citizens to obtain an EU Visa.  From research, the current EU visa application doesnt enquire about criminal history?  Are there any questions relating only to criminal convictions rather than criminal records so that my caution doesnt need to be declared?

The saying goes, "you've made your bed now lie in it", so dont expect this to be a comfortable ride for me as a result of my actions.
Any help appreciated, and I wince with anticiapation of anything that I may not want to hear.
Thank you.

tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

Hi Tom,

You're right in saying that if we leave in March 2019 without a deal then everything is up in the air. I would find it highly unlikely that uk citizens would need to obtain a schengen visa (many countries currently do not, including the USA), it is likely that they will need an ETIAS when that comes into force though.

However, I must thank you for something in your post. I have been following the ETIAS saga for a couple of years and it has filled me with absolute dread. I thought you were mistaken regarding the time limit on convictions but I have just looked up the document as agreed by the European Council a few days ago and it states:

"In addition, the applicant shall provide answers to the following questions: (a) whether he or she has been convicted of any criminal offence listed in the Annex over the previous 10 years and in the case of terrorist offences, over the previous twenty years, and if so when and in which country;"

Obviously, it is still not perfect but does at least provide some concept of time passed for rehabilitation.

Edited
6 Years Ago by tedstriker
Tom77
Tom77
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)Supreme Being (3.9K reputation)

Thanks for the info.

I only heard about the timeframes on the ETIAS from a speculative newspaper report, so to see that there seems to be an agreed EU document only requesting info on a 10 year timeframe for any convictions is encouraging for me because a) I don’t have a conviction b) it was over 10 years ago.

That still leaves the uncertainty over whether a visa will be required in the interim before the ETIAS comes in 2020, and what questions it asks regarding criminal history?
tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being

Tom77 - 7 Sep 18 3:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I only heard about the timeframes on the ETIAS from a speculative newspaper report, so to see that there seems to be an agreed EU document only requesting info on a 10 year timeframe for any convictions is encouraging for me because a) I don’t have a conviction b) it was over 10 years ago. That still leaves the uncertainty over whether a visa will be required in the interim before the ETIAS comes in 2020, and what questions it asks regarding criminal history?

It's unlikely. Also, the current Schengen Visa application does not ask any questions regarding criminal convictions so if we had to use that you'd be ok too.
hurrdedurr
hurrdedurr
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

tedstriker - 7 Sep 18 2:44 PM
Hi Tedstriker
Can you please send me a link to this quote - I'd love to look at the document.  I have found conflicting information, some places saying 10 years and some places saying 20 years.  I've also seen that if Etias is declined then a Schengen visa will be required, but I also read somewhere that Schengen is being abolished.  I have also read that ETIAS is coming into play at the beginning of 2021.  Honestly, such a minefield - no wonder we are all stressed out as no one knows what is happening.  

However, I must thank you for something in your post. I have been following the ETIAS saga for a couple of years and it has filled me with absolute dread. I thought you were mistaken regarding the time limit on convictions but I have just looked up the document as agreed by the European Council a few days ago and it states:

"In addition, the applicant shall provide answers to the following questions: (a) whether he or she has been convicted of any criminal offence listed in the Annex over the previous 10 years and in the case of terrorist offences, over the previous twenty years, and if so when and in which country;"

Obviously, it is still not perfect but does at least provide some concept of time passed for rehabilitation.

GO