Welcome to the Unlock forum. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Author
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 7 Sep 18 10:49 AM
Monkos - 28 Aug 18 6:36 PM

Again, they have to tell you if they are going to do that, and they have to have a legitimate reason to think you are going there to commit a new crime.

Can you provide the source of this information?

As far as I know, and according to multiple sources and personal testimonies, the PPU has absolutely no obligation whatsoever to tell you whether they will add a green notice to your passport. Moreover, it is highly likely that they will not tell you. Stories on here of people asking their PPU flat-out whether they have a green notice have always resulted in the PPU refusing to answer.

If you notify travel to any EU or Schengen country, a SISII alert will always be generated. The PPU has no discretion here. But this is not a huge deal (currently), as you have the basically unconditional right to enter any EU country (the existence of convictions is not valid grounds to refuse an EU citizen entry to an EU country). You might get some tough questions but will then be let through.

But if you notify travel to a non-EU, non-Schengen country, as far as I know it is totally up to the PPU's discretion as to whether or not to issue an Interpol green notice, and they don't have to tell you.

As per my other reply, this is from expert lawyers. If you are on the SOR, you should validate everything PPU do with your lawyer to make sure they don't abuse the system.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Monkos - 28 Aug 18 6:36 PM

Again, they have to tell you if they are going to do that, and they have to have a legitimate reason to think you are going there to commit a new crime.

Can you provide the source of this information?

As far as I know, and according to multiple sources and personal testimonies, the PPU has absolutely no obligation whatsoever to tell you whether they will add a green notice to your passport. Moreover, it is highly likely that they will not tell you. Stories on here of people asking their PPU flat-out whether they have a green notice have always resulted in the PPU refusing to answer.

If you notify travel to any EU or Schengen country, a SISII alert will always be generated. The PPU has no discretion here. But this is not a huge deal (currently), as you have the basically unconditional right to enter any EU country (the existence of convictions is not valid grounds to refuse an EU citizen entry to an EU country). You might get some tough questions but will then be let through.

But if you notify travel to a non-EU, non-Schengen country, as far as I know it is totally up to the PPU's discretion as to whether or not to issue an Interpol green notice, and they don't have to tell you.
Edited
2 Weeks Ago by BenS
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)Supreme Being (267 reputation)

Yankee - 28 Aug 18 6:18 PM
Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:10 PM
Harry53 - 19 Feb 18 5:00 PM
(SOR = Sexual offenders register)
I am writing from the UK and I have a 10 year SOR.
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Having been to many of those countries while on SOR I can tell you that they have no way of knowing you're on the SOR unless you tell them yourself. The only way you'd be turned away from Philippines for example is if you declared your conviction.

Or your PPU has issued a Green Notice after you notified travel, the Philippines system has been updated and the border agent bothered to scan your passport and it registered a hit against the warnings database...

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)Supreme Being (5.8K reputation)

Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:10 PM
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Having been to many of those countries while on SOR I can tell you that they have no way of knowing you're on the SOR unless you tell them yourself. The only way you'd be turned away from Philippines for example is if you declared your conviction.

Or your PPU has issued a Green Notice after you notified travel, the Philippines system has been updated and the border agent bothered to scan your passport and it registered a hit against the warnings database...
Monkos
Monkos
Supreme Being

1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Harry53
Harry53
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)

Normallife - 2 Mar 18 10:39 PM
Ultimately most countries don't ask about past convictions at all. It's mostly the English speaking countries- USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand which will ask and they would most likely deny you entry. However when going to countries which don't ask, the only way those countries can find out is if your PPU have placed a green notice on your passport. So when they scan it your conviction details will show up and then they will most likely deny you entry. 

Travelling to the EU is another matter- you have the legal right to travel and even reside in any of the EU countries (whilst we're still in the EU). 

I have a daughter and her family in new Zealand and as such, have booked a flight to visit her next February, as well as booking a 28 day camping trip with Flying kiwi. I can see no reason why immigration would refuse me, but I have to declare on the landing card that I have a SOR. No point lying as it could make things worse. I do not need a visa as I am a UK citizen, and even if I were to get one, immigration can still refuse me entry (I have  SOR). Really cannot see why they would refuse me but I have to try .

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)Supreme Being (9.9K reputation)

Harry53 - 26 Feb 18 4:06 PM
Yankee - 21 Feb 18 9:09 PM

1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE

Harry - its not that simple and you have to look at several variables.

1. Does the country allow entry simply because there are no visa requirements for a 'serious criminal offence' i.e. you don't have to lie on any form?
2. Does the country have an entry card / visa requirement to declare but would have no way of finding out if you were inclined to be less than truthful.
3. How does the PPU assess your risk and therefore the likelihood or otherwise that they will issue an Interpol green notice if you travel
4. If a green notice is issued, does the particular country check and update their own information systems or it just goes into a black hole
5. For low risk and no green notice issued, is your information still shared with the other country (e.g. FCC agreements or embassy to embassy)

To be honest I have no idea what country filters out information on passports and that's the problem. Lie and you can be caught which is embarrassing, or don't delay it as they don't ask, then find that it comes to light at passport control.
The PPU know I am no risk to anyone so I am told by them that it is their duty to inform Interpol of my travel arrangements, as they did just weeks after I had visited my BF.
As for your other questions I want the answers to those as well. I really feel it is an injustice to not inform anyone with a criminal record as to where they can go and how our data is stored. 

I sympathise with your situation, Harry, but I'm not sure PPU are being totally honest with you. You can see what the different Interpol notices mean on their website here. If PPU say it's their duty to issue a green notice, they clearly don't think you're not a risk to anyone, no matter what they tell you to your face. They probably don't know where you can or can't go, as they almost certainly haven't tried to find out - they're happy to leave that to you and say the decisions are up to the destination countries. I'm sure our data is stored in line with the Data Protection Act, which has an exclusion for crime prevention.
Normallife
Normallife
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

Ultimately most countries don't ask about past convictions at all. It's mostly the English speaking countries- USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand which will ask and they would most likely deny you entry. However when going to countries which don't ask, the only way those countries can find out is if your PPU have placed a green notice on your passport. So when they scan it your conviction details will show up and then they will most likely deny you entry. 

Travelling to the EU is another matter- you have the legal right to travel and even reside in any of the EU countries (whilst we're still in the EU). 
Harry53
Harry53
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)Supreme Being (848 reputation)

Yankee - 21 Feb 18 9:09 PM

1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE

Harry - its not that simple and you have to look at several variables.

1. Does the country allow entry simply because there are no visa requirements for a 'serious criminal offence' i.e. you don't have to lie on any form?
2. Does the country have an entry card / visa requirement to declare but would have no way of finding out if you were inclined to be less than truthful.
3. How does the PPU assess your risk and therefore the likelihood or otherwise that they will issue an Interpol green notice if you travel
4. If a green notice is issued, does the particular country check and update their own information systems or it just goes into a black hole
5. For low risk and no green notice issued, is your information still shared with the other country (e.g. FCC agreements or embassy to embassy)

To be honest I have no idea what country filters out information on passports and that's the problem. Lie and you can be caught which is embarrassing, or don't delay it as they don't ask, then find that it comes to light at passport control.
The PPU know I am no risk to anyone so I am told by them that it is their duty to inform Interpol of my travel arrangements, as they did just weeks after I had visited my BF.
As for your other questions I want the answers to those as well. I really feel it is an injustice to not inform anyone with a criminal record as to where they can go and how our data is stored. 

Harry53
Harry53
Supreme Being

hurrdedurr - 19 Feb 18 5:18 PM

1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE

Hi, I've seen a different list online posted from the USA and it seems to contradict what you have said:
  http://registranttag.org/resources/travel-matrix/  

I can't see anything on this site sorry

GO