theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Lets List Countries That Refuse Entry to people with a SOR

Author
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

"In terms of UK registered sex offenders travelling abroad, SIS II alerts hold no prohibitions or punishments and the presence of such an alert does not require the Schengen countries to arrest or refuse entry. Refusal of entry to a country is an individual decision for the country to make as part of immigration policy. They may refuse entry to persons they believe pose a threat to their country."

Seems to confirm what I said. There is no one rule for every SO. It's entirely subjective.

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

This explains what information is and is not shared and by who and when.

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/major-investigation-and-public-protection/managing-sexual-offenders-and-violent-offenders/travelling-abroad/

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

There is one thing that has never been clear in all of these discussions about foreign travel. Some people seem to go everywhere and never get stopped. Others get stopped, even in Europe, where we're supposed to have free movement. I've heard people stating that green notices have been issued against them, but if that was the case, why did the PPU let that person travel in the first place? If they were so concerned about that person's risk, then why not tell them, to their face, not to go?

" SO who pose a real threat to children should be stopped but those of us who are not, and never have been a threat to children, who be allowed to enter Vietnam on good merit."

I think the problem is that the police don't tell the other country anything. All the immigration people see is a notification saying 'known to UK authorities'. No details about the offence or the persons' risk. They then have to make a judgement call, about whether to admit them, based on no information. This accounts for why some people get sent back and others don't. In all these discussions, people are looking for a clear answer, when there isn't one. It's entirely dependent on the immigration officer and how they feel, at the time.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Hi JoeR

While you are on the register, you will find it very hard to go any other place other than an EU country.

The issue is that when you inform PPU that you plan to go away they will risk asses this especially if going to the Far East.

If they chose then they could issue a green notice on your passport 

Interpol notices

Interpol’s International Notice System was created in 1946. Green Notices are usually issued to provide warnings and criminal intelligence about a persons criminal activities, where the individual is considered to be a possible threat to public safety. It is seen as an effective way to share key police intelligence on a global scale and to prevent people with a criminal record from crossing borders.

Interpol publishes notices either on its own initiative or based on requests from its member states. Notices should only be issued if there is a clear indication that a person intends to commit or is committing a serious offence.

And this is where you will fall down. So if you can wait till your off the register it will be much easier.
JoeR
JoeR
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)Supreme Being (467 reputation)

Harry53 - 28 Jun 19 12:50 PM
Monkos - 28 Aug 18 1:10 PM
Harry53 - 19 Feb 18 5:00 PM
(SOR = Sexual offenders register)
I am writing from the UK and I have a 10 year SOR.
One spin off from this is the restriction of travel. So I thought why don't we all build a listings of countries that are quite rightly protecting children from abusers. I will start the list off but please add to it. Some cojuntries are obvious but others like Japan may still ask the question which pose problems. I want to hear from anyone who has in the last year, known of any problems gaining entry to countries, or that have refused entry. 

There seems to be no listing that is up-to-date, so I thought this would be useful.

For example, I was told that Indonesia was ok to visit, but on posting on an expats forum, it seems most likely not. So here goes....countries I am 95% sure will refuse entry to anyone on the SOR:
1  THAILAND
2  INDIA
3  SRI LANKA
4  PHILIPPINES
5  MALAYSIA
6  CAMBODIA
7  INDONESIA
8  VIETNAM
9  SINGAPORE
10 USA
11 AUSTRALIA

Some countries like NEW ZEALAND ask if you have ever been refused entry to a country, which means it is best to apply for a visa and disclose details.

Please add to this list as having experienced being refused entry into the Philippines just 8 weeks after visiting, I feel it is of the utmost importance to do research before booking a flight or holiday. To be turned away is the most stressful and embarrassing experience in my entire life. Do NOT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU.

Having been to many of those countries while on SOR I can tell you that they have no way of knowing you're on the SOR unless you tell them yourself. The only way you'd be turned away from Philippines for example is if you declared your conviction.
Well I went to the Philippines in 2017 in February, then wanted to return to see my friend and family for a birthday, and I had the biggest shock of my life when just 8 weeks later, I was refused entry. I did not tell them but someone at Interpol or the CPU made sure a Green card was issued. What bugs me is that if they intend to issue a Green card then, for Human rights only, tell the person travelling. I cannot imagine any immigration officer allowing someone in on a Green Card

Hi great resouce and topic. It is very frustrating not knowning where you can go or not and when asked I'm always faced with its an ever evolving situation which doesnt help. Last year I visited Thailand was let in but when I went from there to my next destination The Phillipines I was refused entry sent back to Thailand to go back to the Uk. It was a horrible experience as I was not informed about anything I thought I would be able to return to Thailand and spend the rest of my time there but I was sent to an airport detention hold till it was time for my flight back to the UK. I would never wish that on anyone hence why I am worried to travel anywhere now as I would never want to experience that again. Its just very frustrating not being told yes you can go here and don't bother for there.

Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Simon1983 - 10 May 20 7:00 PM
Your hurdle is PPU, what you have to remember about a PPU officer is that they have a DS or DI above them that make the final decision, so you named officer might say one thing but once discussed with there senior team could say another.

While your on the SOR there is nothing stopping PPU issuing a green notice on your passport via Interpol 

Once your off the register life will be a lot easier, and yes Vietnam is seen as one of those countries on the list of sex traffic countries 

Thank you. I suspected as much. If I were to travel to another country and then decide to visit my BF then I think I can. I have asked this  before and it seems possible. It may be seen as devious but as it has been said in an earlier posting, if we decide to travel to different countries but without an itinerary at the start, then it is allowed. They only ask me when I go and flight details. I do not need to even give a return date. As a genuine visit to see the one I love I think it is wrong that I could be stopped for no good reason. SO who pose a real threat to children should be stopped but those of us who are not, and never have been a threat to children, who be allowed to enter Vietnam on good merit.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

Your hurdle is PPU, what you have to remember about a PPU officer is that they have a DS or DI above them that make the final decision, so you named officer might say one thing but once discussed with there senior team could say another.

While your on the SOR there is nothing stopping PPU issuing a green notice on your passport via Interpol 

Once your off the register life will be a lot easier, and yes Vietnam is seen as one of those countries on the list of sex traffic countries 

Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

I am now in a new and real relationship with my guy in HCM City in Vietnam. We plan to get married in the UK and live together in the future. Now I wish to visit him once the Covid 19 allows, but being on the SOR for another 6 years I still am unsure if I can enter. I am EXTREMELY low risk and wonder if Vietnam is on the High Risk list of countries ? I have a genuine reason to travel and visit as I wish to be with him and his family, and my PPU officer will know that and support me, but there is always an unknown risk going to Asia. I would not expect a Green Card to be issued against me and I know that a visa to enter does not ask about convictions so what the chances are I have no idea. 

Any thoughts?
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
BenS - 6 Dec 19 2:13 PM
JASB - 6 Dec 19 12:51 PM
Mr W - 27 Nov 19 2:16 PM
I'm on the SOR and have just enjoyed a holiday in Qatar. I have no travel restrictions but I went to the station and filled in the holiday form seven days before departure, as the rules state, and I did feel anxious about being questioned at passport control.
I'm happy to report I felt I was treated as a civilian, they take your photo, do fingerprints for your visitor's visa (you can stay up to 30 days with the option to extend) and they give you your passport back and that's that. When I was given my passport back it was like it was in slow motion because I was so relieved - I had no idea what to expect.
I'm hoping that might be useful for those wanting to attend the World Cup in 2022.

Hi Mr W
many thanks for your encouraging words. I am hoping to travel around Europe next year using a camper van so it will be interesting how that is managed. I am classed as low risk, in fact it's been circa 1 year since PPU's last visit.

Once you are in France you are in the Schengen Area, and can drive almost anywhere from Portugal to the Russian border with no border controls (with the exception of most of the former Yugoslavian countries and the Black Sea countries). Technically you just need to tell them you're going to France and tell them the address of the first night of your trip and your return date. While you have to tell them any countries you're planning to visit, if your trip is reasonably spontaneous day to day then you can say, or not say, what you want.

Hi
Thanks for the reply but it is the first three nights out of the country. Sorry for being pedantic.
I agree on that plans can be / and is accepted can change in the same manner of the return date may also change. It is the contacting the PPU and interview on return (if held) that you have to be careful of.

Whilst awaiting sentencing, the Met Police accused me of trying to skip the country and trying to cover my actions by trying to discuss how I inform them of a change to an overseas holiday. Even though whilst 6 months prior and on bail I spent 3 months in SE Asia on holiday.

In the end I think we can agree that it is the PPU's opinion of you as a risk that decides the approach and risks you take, and is the path chosen worth the risks.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO