theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rehabilitation - The Myth.

Rehabilitation - The Myth.

Author
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yup its also important to note survival even after employment, just check out the google effect post it shows you what can happen when you disclose and be up front, even following the law or being honest can destroy ones reputation, employment and possibility of getting further work.

Sadly this country relies heavily on a clean record, its almost instinctive to cover ones backside also this wont change....

So you have to change and adjust. Self employment, moving abroad or non disclosure jobs/careers suddenly are still great options.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

100% agree but I still have no idea how to go about fighting it, then the other question is will it require money, time and patience ?

Those 3 are rare, the only time I have remotely seen it after a few years on this forum is when it involves individual cases ie your own.

I believe unlock has tried to push for change in the past but is now adopting to work along side it, which I get since that is the only way to work.

Maybe it is just a case of a simple blog or website, with a donate pot towards hiring a decent solicitor to bring our voice to the supreme courts, maybe unlock and other organisations like wipe the slate clean maybe interested....

Again no idea how to go about it or who or what exactly to voice it too so I might be talking turnips at this point Smile
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Need that quote on my grave stone Smile

Better call saul is a good tv series also, hits the truth and hard.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Nice idea with the e-petition had no idea such a thing existed, but the biggest question would be:

1:Can we get 100,000 voters? we have almost 10 million people with records and no one has made a big noise or even as much as a small noise for whatever reason.
2:The proposal would have to be something that benefits us all and simple and to the point
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

I know I will sound like sour grapes here but agree with expatofff, its not just the nature of being an ex-offender its more to do with how the British see people and react to them so no petition will ever change this, the politics, government, police and society have already concluded this so its safety first, trouble afterwards approach. As a British people this is how we roll and progress I prefer to call it covering the backside approach, while we should not have this attitude it exist and defines the British.

Lets take Jeremy clarkson he should be in prison for assault or even at the very least with a criminal record, but nope the british public have to have what they want so they petition away in the millions, they still fail yet get him back anyhow, we may ask how? Clarkson entertains millions and brings a smile to there depressing lives so what can an ex-offender offer a potential employer or the British public ?

Short answer is nothing since millions of clean record or non ex-offenders are applying for the same job or trying to do the same thing.

The only thing anyone can strive for is the move away from UK, go self employed or get an job which ever way possible and move on, life has to continue because were not jeremy clarkson but an interesting after thought is what if we were a little like jeremy clarkson ?
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

Ever met an police officer let alone an politician that was honest ?

If they can do it so can you, don't disclose.

As pointed out self employment or applying for job positions where no qualifications or disclosure can be found. Careers and jobs will come and go what will not are the bills.

Also don't limit yourself to this tiny island, if you have skills that are much required there is a very big world out there.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

I think everyone agrees, but is anyone going to do anything about it is where it hits a dead end. It requires time and money something rare in this country.

I would imagine unlock and wipe the slate clean and other organisations have attempted to put across there wish list and its fallen flat into a brick wall.

It feels like the government and politicians have abandoned the almost 10 million people with records by suggesting they had their chance.

The other flip side being is many people simply do not disclose and get whatever jobs they can to continue to pay the bills and not really have any time to do anything else, I would imagine most of the people are working and not even bothered about how many criminal convictions they have.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

It matters greatly on the offence imo, if its the equivalent of stealing a packet of gum you can be honest and confident..... if its another serious one then I personally reckon you run the risk of opening a can of worms which means the information disclosed can be used against you.

Can anyone say for sure that person will not use it as a negative excuse against you ?

People in this country enjoy a good gossip, they love to also hang peoples dirty laundry up on the washing line for all to see, perhaps they get a kick out of ones suffering or simply getting one over this is something to consider.

If you can find a career or job or self employment where you don't need to disclose are good alternatives, but as I suggest depends on the offence greatly.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

I agree with what you are implying and suggesting it should really not matter, but we do have to face the immediate facts especially with rehabilitation being a myth I am unsure any employer or person actually believes in it, you may get lucky and find someone who puts it down to the past etc or just looks at your skill set and experience or gives you a trial...

Its one of the reasons why I find America of interest, criminal convictions might as well be a requirement on your cv over there yet it does not stop most from becoming or doing what they want while over in UK the complete opposite.

We also have the overall issue being in this lovely real recession which still exist people are in survival mode they have to look out for themselves which ever means possible making any type of support or grouping to bringing a truer wipe the slate clean or better rehabilitation proposal to the government almost a fantasy.

Self employment, moving abroad or non disclosure jobs/careers suddenly look great.
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

In my experience I cannot get a position even when I don't disclose either they havent asked or I simply lied, what chance I have got by disclosing and I also run the risk of personal information hitting social media.

As Damag3d said people are in survival mode unless you are one in a career which dont care about your past which ironically are usually the roles with highest responsibilities and best pay i.e senior managers/directors or your conviction is fairly minor you are shooting yourself in the foot by being upfront, anyone who says differently is seeing the world through rose tinted glasses. Yes there are exceptions but considering my lack of success even getting to the interview stage I am simply not going to lower my chances even further by going "Hey I've got a criminal conviction thats not shop lifting please give me a job"
GO