theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rehabilitation - The Myth.

Rehabilitation - The Myth.

Author
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Nothing will change unless people stand up and let Society know what happens.
The people who shout loudest, are the people who are listened to in this world nowadays.
Now, if we do shout, we could feel the wrath of society, but at least the truth will be out.
We and everyone will know what the majority of society thinks of people with convictions. That there is no forgiveness, second chance or rehabilitation.

However, it maybe that society though that people were given a second chance and there was rehabilitation, but have been conned by people in power, who just wanted society to think there was these things.

I think I know which option will be the truth, the wrath of society!

However as everyone knows if you are a Solicitor, you do not ask questions you do not know the answer to.

I am willing to ask the question, as I believe I know what the answer will be.

At least then I know what I am dealing with then and be able to make a decision of where my life goes.

I am not my conviction. I am a good man.
doug
doug
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Bachman. Well Done.
This is one of the many issues I have with employers. Most seem to be risk averse, (meaning if there is any rick, even a low risk, don't employ), whilst only a small minority, like your employers do an assessment and then make a sensible decision.

Most people with convictions, who have rehabilitated make good employees, because we understand that employers have taken a chance and we will repay that by working hard and being loyal to the company.
Also most people with convictions who rehabilitate, were good employees before they committed their offences. Making a mistake, does not mean you become a bad employee. It just means you have made a mistake and you want to put that behind you and move on with your life, so you will work extra hard to prove you are a good employee, so you became a even better employee for employers to hire.
But most employers only see the conviction and not the person. Only a small minority of employers look beyond the conviction and look at the person.

I am not my conviction. I am a good man.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Awaiting e-petition to open up. Then I will post my petition around employers and they way they should deal with people with convictions.
Watch this space.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Still waiting for e-petitions to start after the election.

Checked today, apparently there are a few changes being made to the scheme and it should be up and running at the beginning of July, so says the government website.

Once it is up I will obviously let the forum know.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Hi.

I am looking to put my e-petition onto the government site. But need 5 e-mail addresses to get it on.

I would e-mail you and you click the link to sign it.

Once I have 5 e-mails that have signed the petition it goes onto the site.

Please help me to get this petition on line, so we can highlight the unfair way rehabilitated people with convictions are discriminated against.

Remember there are 10 million people with convictions, we are not a small minority. Let our voice get heard.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Hi

Hi Doug

You’re not done yet!

Forward the email below to your potential supporters.

5 people need to click the link and confirm their support for us to publish your petition.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Please see the link below.
I don't know if you can click on it to get into it or write it into your browser address and it will take you there.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/108416/sponsors/jybBpmMb8mqNCQgmHV

As I say I need 5 people to sign into it and then it goes live on the e-petition site. So people then go to the e-petition site to sign up to the motion.

Please help me to get this live, only 5 people needed.

Thanks
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Bit disappointed no responses so far.

All you have to do is copy and paste link to your web browser and sign petition.
5 will get the petition published and then hopefully we can get more people to support us and get this important issue discussed.

There are 10 million people with convictions, lets start to have our voice heard.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Marty 14 I agree with what you say.
I have thought about submitting a epetition, where if you get 100,000, the government have to debate the issue.

The question was going to be along the lines of abolishing the extra years you have to wait after your sentence, before it is spent.
Also something along the lines of a Rehabilitation Certificate, which you show to an employer after you have been given a job, which shows you have previous convictions, but you have now rehabilitated. This means they cannot dismiss you, but are aware of your previous convictions.
There is also ban the box to be considered, where employers cannot be made aware of your convictions prior to them giving someone a job. Once they have employed someone, then you can disclose. This is where a rehabilitation certificate comes in and the employer then cannot dismiss you, as you have shown you are never going to offend again.

If I submitted an epetition, then I would like the support of all the people on the Forum and their families, to help get the required number of signatures, forcing the government to discuss this issues and get this into the public domain.
Then hopefully we can start to be dealt with in a fairer manner, unless society is happy with people with convictions being discriminated against, then we will have to rethink our options.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

expatoff you may be right. But sometimes to change things you have to put your head above the parapet and challenge. If you don't thinks will stay the same.

So come on everyone, be brave, stand up and let people know that you an ex-offender who has moved on and will never offend again and you are fed up being discriminated against.

Sign the petition today.

You are not your conviction, you are all good people.
doug
doug
Supreme Being

Hi. Have to say I am disappointed that I did not get 5 people to sign up to my e-petition from the forum.

Whilst I appreciate that we are all ashamed of our convictions, these are in the past.

We should be proud that we are all moving on with our lives and will not offend again.

If we do not challenge, then nothing will change and in the future people who get convictions will continue to be discriminated against.
I am not going to stand by and do nothing.
I will challenge and put my head above that parapet and try to change things, so it is fairer for people with convictions who have rehabilitated, to gain employment.
I may not succeed, but at least I can say I tried.
GO