theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

mexico & dominican republic advice needed please

mexico & dominican republic advice needed please

Author
EUlaw
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)Supreme Being (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Mirrorman - operation Guardian Angel seems to be a an initiative between Mexico and the USA. The article that you linked us to doesn't mention the nationality of the people but the Mexican news says that the majority were from USA (although perhaps this is not suprising being that the USA is it's neighbour...): https://noticias.terra.com.mx/mexico/estados/pederastas-son-deportados-gracias-a-programa-en-jalisco,84c36c4da30b5410VgnVCM4000009bcceb0aRCRD.html

En 2013 only 1004 green notices were made world wide. Therefore it clearly isn't standard practice for the UK to make green notices whenever someone with convictions travels.
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Hi and Happy New Year all.

I just returned from Mexico. Had a wonderful time. Great country, great food and amazing, welcoming people.

I know this thread is old but just thought I would update to say the landing card is as basic as it's ever been and does not ask about convictions. The "check" with the border agent is non-existent, they just robotically stamp your landing card and passport without even a glance, and without asking any questions. Maybe it helped that we landed very late at night and they seemed half asleep.

Obviously I did not go through the US. Sorry to hear about the difficulties some have experienced, seemingly thanks to the US. Annoying that you would have permission from the UK authorities to go to Mexico but then the US decide that you should not go to Mexico and dob you in to them despite it having nothing to do with the US. Luckily there are plenty of direct flights from Gatwick/Heathrow or alternatively stopovers via other European airports like Paris and Madrid.

My conviction is not drug-related.
Bornunlucky
Bornunlucky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

HELP
Has anyone else been caught out travelling to any destinations AFTER being denied a US travel visa?
This is VERY concerning for me as I have recently been permanently denied entry to USA (cost me £500 to find out from US London Embassy) and I am now very scared to go anywhere if the info is shared by US.
To apply to every country to see if you can go there for work or holiday is not possible
RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

Has anyone been to Mexico or the Dominican Republic in the last 5 years? Have there been any changes to their attitude?

I'm booked to go to DR in August and would be a nightmare to get turned back. My MAPPA social worker says I am low risk so he doesn't think a green notice will be issued. He said then again, the police sometimes do what they want...

I'm just hoping that the green notice is not issued!
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

RMUK - 6 Jun 19 3:43 PM
Has anyone been to Mexico or the Dominican Republic in the last 5 years? Have there been any changes to their attitude?

I'm booked to go to DR in August and would be a nightmare to get turned back. My MAPPA social worker says I am low risk so he doesn't think a green notice will be issued. He said then again, the police sometimes do what they want...

I visited Mexico for 2 weeks in April no problems

My conviction was for fraud however. 2 year suspended sentence in 2015
RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

marcovanba - 6 Jun 19 5:08 PM

Ah yes, forgot to mention that I am on the SOR for 3 years. It was a sexual offence. Maybe this is the wrong forum? 
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

RMUK - 8 Jun 19 4:21 PM

Ah yes, forgot to mention that I am on the SOR for 3 years. It was a sexual offence. Maybe this is the wrong forum? 

It will all come down to whether they issue a green notice - maybe ask them ?

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being

Hola - 9 Jun 19 4:22 PM
RMUK - 8 Jun 19 4:21 PM

It will all come down to whether they issue a green notice - maybe ask them ?

They won't give me a straight answer. My OMU officer is either clueless or just pretends to be clueless on the travel side of things. He said he just fills in a form and passes it to the international unit in the Police Scotland force. He did say I am low risk though and should be fine. I assume I'd only get a green notice put out if they thought I was gonna be a risk while travelling? 
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

I went to Mexico in 2015 while on the SOR. I had no problems on entry, no questions or anything, very quick and treated like any other passenger.

I would of course advise against transiting through the US. Either get a direct flight or go through somewhere like Madrid, or even Canada (where I have been on the SOR and also had no problems).

Enjoy your trip!
Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being

BenS, thanks for the information. Starting to feel a bit more relaxed now.

Although things could have changed since 2015, I think there would be definitely stories on here or other places about UK citizens being refused in Mexico or DR. There are plenty of posts from Americans who have been rejected, but then again they have that intrusive Megan's Law thing, and also when you read these posts there is no context to the person's conviction so you never know whether they were convicted of something really serious or not.

I think common sense should prevail. Fingers crossed!
GO