theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Has anyone been granted travel permission from probation whilst on license on here?

Has anyone been granted travel permission from probation whilst on...

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Thanks for the update caterpillar. That's really useful.

Through our Helpline, we've had various cases of people being given permission, and it's usually where there is a compelling reason (i.e. not just a holiday). It also varies massively between Probation Areas.

With our new Info Hub, we'll be doing a better job of incorporating these types of experiences into our online info, so we'll put something in about yours - anything you have that might help give more info, please email advice@unlock.org.uk. Thanks.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Hi stiched - I don't think you can get them removed, but you can come to an informal arrangement with Probation that would mean that they would be likely to grant in x,y and z cases. Depends on you, your case and them of course.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

I suppose it depends on the nature of your crime.

The probation officer assigned to me was emphasising the risk of not returning.

I travelled with a colleague (actually my boss, who had supported my application to probation), as far as I could tell, nothing was different or communicated compared to normal travel. I certainly didn't need to do anything different anyway.

I would say it's likely the case that the probation trust would only know about you travelling abroad if they retrospectively checked your passport movements, i.e., there probably isn't a system in place that traces passport movements of people on probation.
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

No problem. Spoke to probation officer on monthly meeting and he said mine was the only one that got granted. I don't know how truthful this is. I haven't been supplied with any written correspondence, just a verbal "green light" to travel. In any case I've told him I won't be going until the tail end of January anyway and he said just let him know when / where and when I'm returning - which seems a bit more liberal than me stating I'll be back the same day.

I'll send some info regarding the case when I get time, you can appreciate how busy it is on the run up to Christmas.
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being

As thread title really, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it on here? Good or bad?

I am on license until March next year after getting 16 months for wounding.

I'm back in work now after release in March this year and may be asked to travel to Netherlands, UAE and Khazakhstan within the next 6 - 8 months (for business purposes)
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being

Just to keep anyone who is interested updated, probation trust have granted me permission to travel abroad for business purposes. My application was for travel to The Netherlands, returning the same day (business meeting). My index offence is a S.20 wounding and I still have about 4 months on license. I applied about 3 weeks ago and it took this long to get a decision (went all the way up to the regional director or some other such big wig) and it took a bit of chasing from my end. Hoping to apply for further permission on the back of it.
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being

Not sure but at the risk of an automatical recall I don't think it's worth the risk. I would imagine there is safeguarding in place to notify The Probation Trust?
caterpillar
caterpillar
Supreme Being

By the way, I travelled whilst on probation with a verbal agreement - no issues whatsoever. A blanket policy is ridiculous people can't travel whilst on license for work purposes.
stiched
stiched
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

Blanket ban is outrageous. If there was meant to be punishment about going abroad then the ocurt should ban from travel, like directorships etc.

Of course I would never go without telling probation at the risk of recall. I was asking out of curiosity as I do not know why they have given me my passport.

I find it implausible that they have safeguarding measures. Probation has difficulty sending faxes from one organisation to another how are they going to know if someone has gone abroad for business or pleasure.
stiched
stiched
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

The guidance clearly states that - the licence condition re travel - is not meant to be punitive.

To me this indicates that travel is related to risk only and not as an additional punishment.

If you have been on bail during trial, been to a d cat and conducted paid work and have never absconded.

I cannot see how travel can be refused.
GO