theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Name and shame list of employers who discriminate against people with unspent convictions

Name and shame list of employers who discriminate against people with...

Author
aim
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi Mirrorman - so you're unable to name a company that offered you a job and retracted the offer after you disclosed?
aim
aim
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Hi Gyrth,

What a nonsense! An unrelated offence and no risk to children, perfect for the role, but a blot on your character.

Was your sentence for 3 months (as you said served) or for six months?

Have a look at /www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-guidance-on-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974

Let's assume worst case of sentenced to six months, and served three, and you got out in December 2009 which under the new rules would make your conviction spent in December 2011.

You will be spent on 10 March 2014 - hopefully the role where the head was supportive is still open....
aim
aim
Supreme Being

It all depends on what type of job and at what level. There is a lot of competition for roles and excluding those candidates with an unspent conviction is a quick way to whittle down the list. As is degree result or A level grades. I work in finance and will always have to declare unspent convictions as they will check. I didn't want to be caught out, as then I am a liar and a criminal, which isn't a great combination for employment prospects. I have been given jobs with an unspent conviction and other offers have been retracted because of the conviction. For me to apply for roles where they would ask was not idiotic as I am at least in with a chance if I keep applying. I was discriminated against but that isn't news. Many big companies blab on about equality and diversity but will be very quick to exclude you with a conviction.

We're veering off topic. This thread is to name those companies that upon declaration revoke a job offer based solely on your criminal record.

I have another to add: Hyphen resourcing www.hyphen.com/

Post Edited (aim) : 11/03/2014 16:24:49 GMT

aim
aim
Supreme Being

In the spirit of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the legal power it gives employers to discriminate against people with unspent convictions I am exercising my right of free speech to name the employers who have rejected me for employment on the basis of my unspent conviction. Please feel free to add to the list below.

Royal Bank of Canada
The Prudential
LV=
aim
aim
Supreme Being

We are told by these big firms they do not discriminate, e.g.

M&S www.recruitwithconviction.org.uk/index.php/2011/11/hiring-ex-offenders-and-homeless-morally-right-says-ms/

MPS application form: "Ideally, you should not have a criminal record but some minor offences may not exclude you from joining the police service"

LV= www.jobs.lv.com/what-we-offer "In line with our values, we treat everyone fairly irrespective of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, race, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, culture, religion or belief, age, disability or any other reason that cannot be reasonably justified. Through our Equality and Diversity Policy, plus all our other People Policies, we make sure that everyone’s valued and treated equally and fairly, with dignity and respect."

The point is that an unspent conviction is the biggest stumbling block to employment. The government 'encourages' big business to hire people with unspent convictions and they all have their blurb on how fair they are but this thread is to give examples of the reality which quite often is discrimination. We know obviously they do but having these companies named is a start. Most people don't talk about this due to the sensitive nature of disclosing so this practice goes unchecked.
The Stig
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Marks & Spencer

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?

The Stig
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

www.princes-trust.org.uk/pdf/MS%201%20Guidelines%20apr08.pdf

Plz take a look at this about M&S. The one thing that caught my eye was.

The criteria for selection guidelines will tell you who is and is not eligible. The main issues
are around unspent convictions. If a young person has an unspent conviction they will
need to be willing to declare this. The information M&S require is date of offence, age of
person at the time, what the offence was (as much details as possible) and outcome. i.e.
caution, fine, YOI.
This information will be passed to M&S Head office but not to the store where the
placement is due to take place. M&S Head office will decide whether the placement can
go ahead or not you will be notified of their response.
N.B. M&S will not accept currently serving prisoners onto Marks & Start placements

The Stig
The Stig
Supreme Being

Mirrorman

You are right that every employer will discriminate but there are some that won't and trust me there are only a few. So what is the point in name and shame them here. I think the hole problem is with the employers and it's mostly around disclosing , discriminating and CRB checks even though the R.O.A as changed and made it better for people with convictions I still think the underlying problem is with the employer. Let me give you an example:-

I have an unspent conviction I declare this at the application stage (discriminated at that stage)

I have an unspent conviction I declare this at the interview stage but failed to declare it at the application stage (discriminated at that stage)

Now let me move on to disclosing

When is the good time to disclose to an employer? Well there ain't is there. A lot of people on here will tell you it is best to disclose right from the start. People without convictions think totally different to the one's that do. What i am trying to say is you got to change the mind set of employers. Employers have to many rules and laws that back them up and they are exploiting this with you and me. This is why I think that the equality act 2010 should be reviewed again.

Now what if I had a spent record and you are legally right not to disclose but later down the road of your employment your employer wanted to do a CRB check and finds out about your conviction. Two things can happon

You tell your employer before he get the CRB done or wait till the CRB comes back and await the outcome. He or she can make two decisions get rid of you or keep you.

It is simple really employers have the law on there side and this needs to be sorted out even though I think the ROA changes are good there are still a lot of things need sorting out with the employer side of things.

What do you think CS

simon
simon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)

This is why they are all crying over the new ROA periods.

They like being nosy and now they can't. They are being forced to treat everybody equally

and they do not like it!
simon
simon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)Supreme Being (7K reputation)

Securicor,

The prison service.
GO